What's My Name The Girl's show

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Keith
  • 4 Post By MaunderingMoose
  • 2 Post By Enunciated Piffle
  • 1 Post By Keith
  • 2 Post By Bucho
  • 1 Post By littlp

Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

40: Family By Design

Darren Spedale is the founder (and also a member) of FamilyByDesign.com, a site that helps link wannabe parents with non-romantic partners to co-parent their children.

Co-Parenting, Parenting Partnerships Community - FamilyByDesign

Last edited by Marisela; 04-26-2013 at 04:24 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Anything that constructively challenges the "family norm" is priceless. So much traditional runoff poisoning people's lives. The most important things in life seem to be the most arbitrarily imposed upon. I love seeing more humble, direct views that allow the adaptation necessary to create and sustain healthy families.
Keith, The Girl, Bucho and 1 others like this.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Whoa. Move the fuck over, Terry Gross, there is a new thought-provoking interviewer in town. This episode, (amongst the majority of WMN episodes) is a far cry from the comedy of KatG. This was original, thought-provoking, look into a new approach to parenting.

As a parent, I found this show mind-blowing. It is absolutely imperative that all people listen to this interview regardless of sexual orientation or religion.

I'm a single father with a 10 yr old daughter. I have seen, first-hand, the problem of broken homes. It is absolutely essential that people understand there is nothing more important than the WANT/NEED to become a parent. Simply being a man who has impregnated a woman is not enough. I know.

Human beings are the most adaptive mammals in existence. As a conservative-liberal, I would agree that a man/woman parent couple would be ideal for to raise a girl or boy, but I would also agree that our species have been raised by: wolves, themselves, and certainly any combination of role models IE grandparents, extended family, cousins, etc.

The guest on this show just grazed upon the idea of other cultures raising children in alternative ways. Any Anthropology 101 student understands that the dynamic of 'it takes a village' is totally understated in our country.

We all know beautiful / interesting people we'd like to see carry on our species. However, it takes more than good genes and expensive jeans to be a parent. You have to have the want. You must have that want in your own DNA to make/ have a good kid. As a parent who sees kids thrown away every day; I totally agree with the guests idea/ approach to modern and evolved parenting.

Chemda did raise a very important question. How does the website distinguish between pedophiles and legit parents? When I heard this I thought of my vegan hippie friends who said you should never put a pet on Craigslist. You never know if some sick fuck is gonna adopt them just to torture them. It's sad and not common...but possible. Personally, I was a bit uncomfortable with his answer, but there is no doubt that utililizing the internet is the obvious choice.

The point raised in this episode of WMN is indisputable. Parent planning is one of the most important issues we face today.

Well done. I have not heard this guest or particular issue in any other media form. Cheers.
Keith and Bucho like this.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I loved this. Maybe if more people had to take the time and figure out how to have a baby, and exactly the type of person they want the baby with, there'd be less trouble all around. I think I like this better than the way people have babies now.

A great sounding service, and a great sounding guy.
Bucho likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I thought I'd already posted about how goods this ep was but I guess I was slacking on the feeding back when it came out. I even remember exactly what I was doing when I listened (being a good wife and hanging out a load of washing), which isn't the norm with me for podcasts, which is scientific proof that this ep left an impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think I like this better than the way people have babies now.
YUP!
Keith and The Girl like this.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I was organizing the tool closet.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I actually referred this website to a friend of mine who is already pregnant but isn't sure about staying with the father (a mutual decision btwn both). She just had no idea how to try to navigate all the legal stuff and needed some guidance. She's found it pretty helpful.
The Girl likes this.