Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Will Keith ever get his family tree?
Yes 9 25.71%
No 26 74.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By invader

Old 06-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

2415: Hancocky

with Emily Galati – How to be the best Catholic; Hamilton and John Hancock; Oliver Stone’s JFK; Keith’s family tree non-update; The UK leaves the EU; Independence Day: Resurgence and The Shallows reviewed; Ben Affleck drunk on HBO’s Any Given Wednesday; alone in NYC

Guest:
Emily Galati

Emma on Conan

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed

Last edited by dannyhatch; 06-26-2016 at 09:22 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Keith I bet if you call them again and talk about something else (I dunno, the next big KATG event) then end the convo with "Oh yeah, Mom, what were your sisters and brothers names again? I need to thank the family at the end of the show," that they will be UN-tricked and tell you.

also, you brought that on yourself watching a movie with Blake Lively

Last edited by FingerLakes; 06-27-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I've been thinking maybe Keith's parents know just as much as he does and they are just trying to play dumb so Keith can just give up in frustration. I call it the Malley gambit.

I know nothing about my fathers side of the family and the stuff I know about my mothers side I could probably do without. I come from Jamaican heritage a relatively small island. So it's not unusual for other Jamaicans to ask you your surname and what part of the island you are from. It's surprising how often people are familiar with each others family. I was once talking with my best friend's mother and she said that her husband was very familiar with the area my family is from. She asked for my mothers last name I told her Hall her eyes widened and she said; "oh boy... I've heard him say, the only good Hall is that one" and gesture towards the main hallway in the house. Knowing the little that I do all I could do was laugh. I have to admit I was sort of impressed at the level of fuckary that half of my family was able to achieve.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Family Tree

This may have already been written, but Keith can pretty easily create his family tree by only knowing his parents last names and what part of the country they were from. Sign up for Ancestry and just do one month with the lowest priced package. He doesn't need to do the spit kit. The spit kit DNA mostly tells you what region of the world your ancesters were from. It does though allow you to meet second or third cousins who are on there. The real tree information is done by the software over the course of weeks as it keeps matching government documents to the names, places, and birthdates you eventually add.

It is just clicking yes or no to the items found and the tree basically builds itself. I did it all through the phone app when I had downtime. It takes a little getting used to but is a bit addicting for awhile and you get all the names and dates and the tree without knowing much of anything. Each document found tells you enough to make the correct links. It is still possible to make mistakes here and there, but you begin to find distant relatives who you can also share their trees with you to compare. I want to say all that is about $30 for the one month.

Last edited by Mark Sandiego; 07-03-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sandiego View Post
This may have already been written, but Keith can pretty easily create his family tree by only knowing his parents last names and what part of the country they were from.
Right?