Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you given up on your dreams?
Yes 16 40.00%
No 24 60.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree127Likes

Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

2898: Racy Relations w/ Usama Siddiquee

Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin engaged; dating comedians; cultural backgrounds; preparing for the SATs; hardships; Ant-Man and the Wasp and The First Purge reviewed; Keith's soccer career, the World Cup finals, and the trapped Thai soccer team; cutting off a cheating penis

Guest:
Usama Siddiquee

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
Archimedes_Screw likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh Jesus the food stamp thing. I got them a few times when my daughter was very young. In both states there wasn’t a work requirement; there was a requirement that you fill it a form each week or two stating you applied for jobs.

I was a single mom and got no child support because doing so would have put my daughter in a terrible and unrealistically unsafe position. In the “on” season I made okay money but averaged out over a year, I was told I made too much for assistance. Their cutoff level was SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH.

The federal poverty level is a fucking joke. THIS YEAR it’s about $16k for a family of two. Minimum wage is $7.25. Average rent in my city is around $1400 per month, and the average income for my city (Austin) is around $36k. So if you Make $36k your rent is around 60% of your income and if you make minimum wage you can’t afford to live here unless it’s under a bridge because you take home pay is around $1100 a month total.
Keith, The Girl, Bucho and 5 others like this.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

So like,
Are all men heroes?
Old 07-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Usamas laugh is awesome.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
The poverty level is a joke, I'll give you that. Average costs aren't a very good measure though.

Obviously if don't make the average, you don't live in the place that charges the average. You make the least, you live in the cheapest place. Is it a nice neighborhood? Probably not.
Even if you made $15 per hour and you’re a single parent you can basically forget being comfortable almost anywhere. (I’m lucky enough to have a job that pays for half my daughters healh insurance and I still pay over $200 a month for the other half.) Imagine on 7.25 an hour there aren’t any places in the US you could live without roommates. Well, maybe if you go to wherever bumfuck Keith grew up. Apparently there are 12 or 14 major cities you can *just barely* afford a one bedroom in, with a few grand leftover per year for like, life.

The response would typically be “ok then don’t live in or near a big city.”
Ok, what if you have family nearby and that’s your support system, what if you can’t do your particular job in a rural area, what if the noncustodial parent prevents you from leaving?

Unfortunately, single working moms Are twice as likely to fall into poverty than anyone else. I’m gonna go jump off a bridge now.
Keith, Sparrow, porky2468 and 3 others like this.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

I want to nominate Keith's segway into the ad read for an award.
Keith, The Girl, Bucho and 4 others like this.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Astro, that was a way nicer response than what I had in mind lol
astrokahn and Mermaid like this.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Dreams

Dreams are great, more dreamers less beancounters.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I never gave up on my dream... I just never had one. Its the most frustrating thing ever. There are no tips on finding your dream. Which always makes me feel like so strange outlier.

Common core math is awesome. It just makes math more accessible, and trains people to understand it better. Back in the day when you got to multiplication tables math became more rote memorization. So things like 5 x 62. Instead of needing pen and paper. You can just break it up and then add. 5 x 6 = 30, so 5 x 60 = 300. 5 x 2 = 10, 300 + 10 = 310. 5 x 62 = 310. So when kids make the jump to algebra and beyond they also have a better understanding of why just opposed to what. Incidentally I use to do math this way and get yelled at for not doing the way they showed. So I feel justified that this is the new way.
Keith, The Girl, porky2468 and 1 others like this.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
The poverty level is a joke, I'll give you that. Average costs aren't a very good measure though.

Obviously if don't make the average, you don't live in the place that charges the average. You make the least, you live in the cheapest place. Is it a nice neighborhood? Probably not.
If you want cheap rent, sometimes you have to live so far away from the job that a lot of your income goes to gas. And it isn't just that the neighborhoods aren't 'nice,' it's that they're often high crime. Not good for a single mom and a kid.
Keith, The Girl, Sparrow and 3 others like this.