Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Like Tree89Likes

Old 08-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myq View Post
On what are you basing the idea that "theism and atheism HAVE HAD TO EXIST" since that long ago?
Generally on this when humans were first mentioned - Timeline of human evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't that includes human consciousness? If so I would think that the questions and both sides of the belief started then. That's why I said "(millions of years ago?)".

I doubt they started having spirited debates around a grand roundtable with debatable scientific points and counterpoints and were more concerned about things like food, but you know what i mean.

Quote:
Also, I don't think any of this specifically matters to the larger point of this discussion. But we're having fun!
Yes we are! This is pretty off-topic too but I often wonder when true human consciousness existed. That had to be a gradual process based on what we know about evolution (and therefore, brain evolution) so there probably isn't an answer to that.

Speaking about evolution (last off-topic pondering I promise..heh) I also often wonder about what humans will be like in say, thousands of years from now. Will we be all be considered computers from the implanted brain chips? Will nano-bots be "smart" enough to fix all human ailments including cancer, diabetes, heart disease, spinal cord injury, alzheimers, etc? Will 3D printers be able to produce human organs like fixing a kidney would be as common as ordering a cheeseburger at the drive-thru? Will we have discovered the keys to light-speed, wormholes, super-massive blackholes, parallel universes, dimensions beyond 3 ... and I dare say, finally proof that a creator does or doesn't exist. It's weird to think about but at some point technology will be able to prevent death itself by fixing whatever ailment causes it today. Heart failure? No problem, a 3D heart could be printed to prevent it.

I could go on but my brain hurts. No wonder I can't sleep. lol

HUAR! No no
Bucho likes this.

Last edited by DJQuad; 08-01-2013 at 07:58 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #142 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
Generally on this when humans were first mentioned - Timeline of human evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't that includes human consciousness? If so I would think that the questions and both sides of the belief started then. That's why I said "(millions of years ago?)".

I doubt they started having spirited debates around a grand roundtable with debatable scientific points and counterpoints and were more concerned about things like food, but you know what i mean.
I actually do not know what you mean, sincerely. Not trying to be contrarian for the sake of it, but I don't see what point you are making with that link. I see that it says humans started existing a couple million years ago, but the links I provided demonstrate that the existence of religious practices and beliefs didn't necessarily coincide with that.

Just because there is consciousness, doesn't mean there is belief in god. That seems like a huge leap of an assumption, and I'm not sure I see why you're making it.

Also, consciousness didn't begin with humans. The pre-human primates that preceded humans also had consciousness. Apes today have consciousness. Non-human animals have consciousness. Do you think that apes have a concept of god?

Are some or all apes atheists to you? Or does that question not make sense? If it doesn't make sense (which I believe it doesn't), then I believe when humans came into existence (which was indeed a gradual process), that there are humans that defy the question of whether or not they were atheists.

There are orangutans and chimps conscious today who have a higher level of brain power and activity and self-concept than some humans (e.g. severely retarded ones, brain-injured ones), so the idea of "human consciousness" as something distinct and special that we possess and no other beings do, I think is a flawed concept to begin with.

I'm heading out for the evening but continue to have fun, everyone!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
I actually do not know what you mean, sincerely. Not trying to be contrarian for the sake of it, but I don't see what point you are making with that link. I see that it says humans started existing a couple million years ago, but the links I provided demonstrate that the existence of religious practices and beliefs didn't necessarily coincide with that.

Just because there is consciousness, doesn't mean there is belief in god. That seems like a huge leap of an assumption, and I'm not sure I see why you're making it.
I didn't say that consciousness equals a belief or disbelief in god, but now that you said that, it actually makes sense to me.

I suppose the time that consciousness existed is the greater question. At some point (probably shortly after makes sense to me) humans started looking up at the stars, started wondering about creation, where they came from, started understanding it was either evolution or a greater power beyond our understanding.

Doesn't it make sense that from there, beliefs started?

That was long before atheism was even termed in the 1600s, and before paleolithicism existed 30,000-50,000 years ago.

Human consciousness existed far earlier than that and it doesn't makes sense that the question of existence started 50,000 years ago. Were they just dumb for about a million years until that point?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
paleolithicism
Making up words by bashing your cat's head on the keyboard won't help you win this, quaddo.
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #145 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
I didn't say that consciousness equals a belief or disbelief in god, but now that you said that, it actually makes sense to me.

I suppose the time that consciousness existed is the greater question. At some point (probably shortly after makes sense to me) humans started looking up at the stars, started wondering about creation, where they came from, started understanding it was either evolution or a greater power beyond our understanding.

Doesn't it make sense that from there, beliefs started?
No, I don't agree that what you're saying makes sense. That was what I was saying earlier, that you didn't respond to.

Animals possess consciousness. Do you believe that animals look at the sky and wonder about god?

If so, we disagree and that is fine. If not, then remember that humans are animals, and that the development of our consciousness from pre-human to human must have been a continuum, that started with zero (or less) wonder and belief and ended up with the capacity for more.

Today, the fact that people believe is exhibited in many physical ways. Those physical ways date back quite a ways, but not all the way back to the beginning of humanity. Not even most of the way. Which is not to say that there couldn't be belief before it physically manifested, but the beginning of humanity's existence is marked by biology, not psychology.

That's more than I meant to say, so in order to not obscure things further, I ask you: do you think that any non-human animals have a concept of god/belief/wonder (while looking up at the sky)?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you believe that animals look at the sky and wonder about god?
My dyslexic cat wonders about dog.

Does that count?
MichaelApproved and Bucho like this.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
Making up words by bashing your cat's head on the keyboard won't help you win this, quaddo.
lol. doh I meant paleolithic, as in the stone age.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
That's more than I meant to say, so in order to not obscure things further, I ask you: do you think that any non-human animals have a concept of god/belief/wonder (while looking up at the sky)?
My dog barks at leaves blowing across the driveway, so I doubt it.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
Let's look at the research. What problem do you have with the information he presented?
My point is that it's like watching a documentary from an obviously biased source. Sure I can look at the information "presented" but what information is dismissed to make his point? As I said, he's obviously biased so I'm sorry if I dismiss him just as I would dismiss a Christian scholar proving that Christ was shooting loaves and fishes out his ass.

Quote:
Jesus may have existed but the story of his life is loaded with conflicting information. I guess the question I should be posing shouldn't be whether Jesus existed, it should be which Jesus existed.
Don't disagree at all.

Quote:
Jesus didn't start a religion. He was born and died Jewish.
Pardon? Some dude named Jesus started something pretty serious. Myth or real person, Christianity is still a thing.

Quote:
We were having a debate about Christianity. In that context, the existence of Jesus and the story of his life is germane to the discussion. I was trying to show that the fundamental element of the religion, the core of it, is not real. The Bible is a story loosely based on historical events.
And I get that. My point is that it just doesn't matter. No Christian is going to be convinced based on the investigation of a strict atheist.

Quote:
So, saying that I made a "pussy move" is in line with those teachings?
Christ probably called people out on bullshit in his lifetime, so sure. Argue against the message not the man/legend/myth.

Quote:
BTW - Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you and welcome to the forums! =D
Thank you. I realize my response was worded harshly but I'm on your side. I just have a general distaste for trying to force beliefs on other people, whether they be atheist, Christian or Pastafarian.

Cheers.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #150 (permalink)

Quote:
I can safely say that all religions are wrong because they are works of fiction written by humans.
I can safely say that all all morals are wrong because they are work works of fictions written by humans.