Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums What's My Name

What's My Name The Girl's show

Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

33: Hard Knock Life

Comic/actor/writer Jess Wood talks about her life with hippies, gangs, and heroin.

WordPress.com

This entire show is available on KATG VIP along with...

Access to over 2,700 Keith and The Girl in-studio episodes dating back to March 2005.

Constantly updated VIP only podcasts, bonus shows and special offers including:
  • Chemda's What's My Name podcast
  • Keith's My Name Is Keith podcast
  • What Do We Do Now?
  • Andrea's WHAT'S UP, A?
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Bottoms Up with Hennessy
  • Myq Kaplan's Super Hang
  • That's the Show with Danny!
  • The Brother Love Owwwr!
  • Myka Fox & Friends
  • INTERNment podcast
  • All KATGtv episodes
  • A look back with KATG Beginnings episodes
  • Special discounts and offers

Click here to get more info about KATG VIP!

Last edited by MichaelApproved; 12-13-2012 at 10:53 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sure snuck that one in there. Can't wait! Just listened to the first sentence. I'm in.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Yay! A new What's My Name show!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Kind of an uncomfortable, sad, depressing show. But then I look how she came out of it and it seems like she's done pretty well!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Wow. Another amazing episode. She has had such a hard go at life. I found myself choked up a few times. It really is something that she was able to overcome her past. It really made me able to look at my own past in a different light and realize that things could have been much worst. I can't wait to read her book.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ho-ly shit. What a fucking story. Excellent episode.

This is the first What's My Name I've listened to, and now I want to go back and listen to all the old ones (and will be). Very good. I'm still not sure if I like the interesting interview style Chemda uses of asking the guest a question (instead of drunkenly shouting them at the guest, of course), but I guess I'll adjust

Great show!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow that was the best What's My Name yet. Jess is so interesting and it's inspiring how she has dealt with it and is overcoming it. I cant wait to read her book!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommorwen View Post
I cant wait to read her book!
Yeah, I'm so stoked for her book. This episode is like the best book promo ever (not to cheapen the fact that J-Wood is an awesome person). I could have heard her on NPR or something and not been nearly as interested as I am. I could have even seen her stand-up and not been as interested. Chemda really made the interview about Jess in a way that is foreign to a lot of radio shows that have that "inspirational stories" vibe. Anybody know what I mean? Like how NPR takes a story and boils it down to the point that it doesn't resonate with real truth and beauty. NPR likes to jerk itself off sometimes. They're like the douche bag that brags about how many charities he donates 10% of his salary to. Chemda is better than NPR. That's all I'm trying to say.

Edit: still the second-best spin-off ever :-P
Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Jess Wood makes me think of the show "Weeds". She seriously has had her hand in everything and isn't dead yet.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

What an incredible and compelling story. I loved Jess Wood's honesty and obvious healing and progression from such a fucked up childhood. It's really a testament to her strength as a person. It's important that a story like her's is told. It certainly helped me, in my own way. Also, Chemda doesn't shy away from keeping the pressure on a guest like Jess Wood. This is impressive, considering the subject matter. Definetly getting the book! IF anyone is reading this who is interested in addiction, two books that I've really enjoyed and learned from are: Drew Pinsky's 'Shattered' and Melissa Febos' "WHip Smart" In fact, I believe Melissa is in NYC and it would be really cool to hear her story on WMN, if possible. I think Chemda would really like her. She's got an incredible story of being a heroin addicted Dominatrix, but it's her writing and ability to tell that story, that is even more incredible. Anyway, loved this episode!