Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums That's the Show with Danny

Like Tree4Likes

Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Ok. So just listened to The Mtn Goats. I like the imagery. "The cellar door is an open throat" is great. I think it's musically not as amazing as the writing, but perhaps the emphasis is on the lyrics anyway...?

Is there a KATG music thread? One where you recommmend one song, maybe post a YouTube link, (how do you do that, btw?) and maybe put a short description as to why you like the song?

I would recommend Danny listens to The Silver Jew's "Random Rules" There's a youtube vid. The singer is one of the greatest, funny writers that possibly shouldn't be fronting a band ever. The song begins, "In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection. Slowly screwing my way across Europe, they had to make a correction."
Love The Silver Jews. Stephen Malkmus is an exceptionally talented guy. Pavement, Silver Jews, Jicks -- anything he associates himself with I'll give a try just because of how much I love Pavement. I haven't heard that song yet (and I know SM is very much a minor player in Silver Jews) but ill give it a shot

The Mountain Goats song I posted is from their first "studio" album (everything else was recorded one-track, live into a boom box) and their music has gotten better and better as they've become an actual three member band and not just a recording moniker for John Darnielle. Their latest album, Transcendental Youth, is musically almost on par with the lyrics, which is saying something. Very jazzy, a lot of songs feature a horn section, and it works great. I love the idea of a music thread.

Also, I just posted the YouTube link straight into the reply box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Dukes View Post
Silver Jews used to be my shit. Moldy Peaches and Herman Dune were a couple of my favs as well. None of these bands really get me going anymore, but something like Elliott Smith's Twilight might catch me here and again. These days, I'm into music that makes me sweat.
God, yes, that song. "Twilight." On his fucking posthumous album (of course.)
Enunciated Piffle likes this.

"Stay sick. Don't get well." -- The Mountain Goats (shut up.)
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Dukes View Post
Silver Jews used to be my shit. Moldy Peaches and Herman Dune were a couple of my favs as well. None of these bands really get me going anymore, but something like Elliott Smith's Twilight might catch me here and again. These days, I'm into music that makes me sweat.
Getting old is a bitch, isn't it? It's hard to listen to Elliot Smith at the gym. I feel like spontaneous bursts of tears and weeping might be a turn off...
Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

If these lyrics were a book; it would be one of your favorites... Silver Jews - Random Rules (1998) - YouTube
Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Keith's creatively ludicrous character work was great as usual but it was when Danny took over playing her that I lost it*. Then the exchange between Keith and Danny directly after caused me the further loss of it.

"You know what, it's an odd relationship you two have."

"Ehhhh, It's 2013 baby, who's to say what's odd and what's not?"

"Have you guys met each other?"

"Daaaah, who's to say what's meeting?"

I'm in maximum agreement with Chemda that the piece Danny read was very impressive too.

* It (n.) The ability to not laugh.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Absolutely loved the short story. I really got sucked and and could visualize the world that Danny created in it. Makes me want to try and get back into short story writing myself but describing an environment and scenery has always been hard for me.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

There's not too many times I've backed up an episode and played it over and over again but on this - that piece by Danny was fucking electrifying. Yes, Keith, he knocked it out of the park.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Aw you guys

And Julio: My advice is to just do it, and I'm sure Dean would agree. I prefer inward-focused stuff much more than I enjoy setting a scene. I totally feel ya.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Most definitely - do it. The environment of the mind and emotions can be just as visual in those introspective pieces. Case in point is Danny's piece. There is a lot going in visually that is told simply and beautifully.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Wow! I have had a lot on my mind lately so I was thinking about my own life issue while listening to TTSWD. When I tuned back in Danny was reading. I thought I wonder what book he is reading from? This sounds like a good book. Then when he was done I realized he was reading his own witting. Danny you are truly a talented writer. Again wow.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I just read Gone Girl today after hearing it suggested on this ep yesterday evening (I love days off work).

It's a good story. It didn't completely hook me (I caught myself looking at the pages read/pages left count multiple times), but it was enjoyable. Danny and Emmy are right, the way it went was very unexpected (a great thing). I was somewhat disappointed in the ending (no spoilers), but oh wells.. still happy I read it. Thanks guys!

Also, great story/reading, Danny!