Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Bottoms Up with Hennessy

Bottoms Up with Hennessy Lauren's show

View Poll Results: Is Lauren allowed to say "fuckaduck?"
Yes, fuckaduckadoodledoo! 41 80.39%
No ducks. No dice. 10 19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree36Likes

Old 09-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
There was a mention of why needing math or science, but it is basis of much of our world. I've always wanted to know how the world works and the broad basis of education from humanities to sciences provide tools to for me to examine the various systems.

What does the world look like to those who don't want to know? Is it just the here and now? What does the past look like?

Yes I totally agree. But the type of math they're forcing us to learn is complete bullshit. It doesn't relate to the world and the base material of what we're made of. It relates to a text book and theorems and algebraic expressions that calculate nonsense. Or if it isn't nonsense then tell me HOW it matters. WHY it matters. Teach us about the super string theory and why all math is part of it and why this connects us all! Teach us about the perfect number and how every single natural thing in life is made of it and how THAT is Devine intelligence!!

What the fuck is A+B pathagorean theorem bullshit? Then don't teach us calculator math, teach us fuckin physics and build from there!

The only time we get math classes which are helpful after 5th grade are the ones we CHOOSE (maybe) but only if its part of our major. Stupid.

If you want to learn real world life mathamatics, look around, research it. Drop acid. Whatever! But it ain't gon' be learned in no pre-req or required class.
The Girl, Sparrow and Scumhook like this.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
tell me HOW it matters. WHY it matters. Teach us about the super string theory and why all math is part of it and why this connects us all! Teach us about the perfect number and how every single natural thing in life is made of it and how THAT is Devine intelligence!!

teach us fuckin physics and build from there!
this. caveat: for me. had i been exposed to physics before i was adult, i would have, lost my religion much earlier, and also better understood mathematics conceptually. it's a difficult leap for the way some of our brains work.

by the same token, there are people who understand math better in the theory-o-sphere. at the root, current educational practice leaves little room to explore students' differing learning styles.

addendum: not to be a smarty pants, but perfect numbers are those that equal the sum of their positive divisors. 6=3+2+1
The Golden Number/Ratio (PHI), however, is what i think you're referring to and OMFG what a wonderful rabbit hole to go down. i have a really swell book about it in the ole reference library.

the concept that those kinds of patterns are divine feels like backward logic, though. like the argument that God is so magic and so smart, he placed us just far enough away and just close enough in relation to the sun to sustain life whereas the physical fact that we /are/ in the habitable zone is how our planet sustains life so sweetly. PHI is the expression of the most efficient path life takes in its growth; things that grew using this pattern survived better. God schmod. ; ) bubbles are round because it's physically efficient; my emotional response, ill understanding, awe, or mythos around it are moot.
Bucho and Hennessy like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-07-2013 at 03:27 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

I don't relate to any of you right now. College was awesome. And what's all this talk about classes? There were classes at college?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
addendum: not to be a smarty pants, but perfect numbers are those that equal the sum of their positive divisors. 6=3+2+1
The Golden Number/Ratio (PHI), however, is what i think you're referring to and OMFG what a wonderful rabbit hole to go down. i have a really swell book about it in the ole reference library.
THE GOLDEN NUMBER. THANK YOUUUUUUUU.

Thanks Sparrow. I've always been bad at math because my brain doesn't retain numbers and equations at all. But I'm starting to love it and want to know more (where it counts).
And by divine intelligence I mean that I think THAT is what people think of as divine intelligence. And in a way it is. To me. It IS magic. We just are beginning to understand it. And it IS intelligent!

What is the book Sparrow? I'm only now just beginning to hear about this and how evil it is to keep it from us in classrooms. But yes, this IS a wormhole that I just can't keep going down now but I'd love to in the near future.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

i can get behind it as a form intelligence in that way. it'd be useful for our conversation if we could more clearly define "intelligence" for ourselves. it's an interesting idea. self-healing, self-regeneration, and autonomic regulatory systems are boss and align with what you're gettin' at. our "intelligent" nature doesn't have to rely on a higher being. it is intelligent /by/ its nature.

the book is called "The Golden Ratio: The Story of PHI, the World's Most Astonishing Number" by Mario Livio. i like it because i can understand it-- i need hard stuff explained with plain words-- and it explores PHI with historical, natural, and artistic contexts.
Hennessy likes this.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
i can get behind it as a form intelligence in that way. it'd be useful for our conversation if we could more clearly define "intelligence" for ourselves. it's an interesting idea. self-healing, self-regeneration, and autonomic regulatory systems are boss and align with what you're gettin' at. our "intelligent" nature doesn't have to rely on a higher being. it is intelligent /by/ its nature.

the book is called "The Golden Ratio: The Story of PHI, the World's Most Astonishing Number" by Mario Livio. i like it because i can understand it-- i need hard stuff explained with plain words-- and it explores PHI with historical, natural, and artistic contexts.
We have to have a conversation.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

yes! absolutely! coughcoughCOMETOATLANTAcoughcough
Hennessy and Scumhook like this.