Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Does Nick Cannon have a right to be in the Shuck & Jive video?
Yes; he's been a positive example of having pride and integrity. 19 13.48%
No; he's one of the biggest sell-outs there are. 122 86.52%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Thanks ... It doesn't look like Netflix carries it, so I emailed them requesting it. Perhaps we should fill up their inbox.

In searching for it, I found this one by the way ... Lord of the Cockrings (2002) (V)
Scroto Baggins, hehe.

I can only find it on vhs at amazon: Too much sun vhs
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #22 (permalink)

Anyone else get a huge messed-up file download from their KATG rss feed after show 1018? weird
Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Thanks ... It doesn't look like Netflix carries it, so I emailed them requesting it. Perhaps we should fill up their inbox.

In searching for it, I found this one by the way ... Lord of the Cockrings (2002) (V)
Did you see the trailer for "Sleep away" (With Rev Jen)?

It's on the imdb page for the short.

Wow.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoav View Post
hey so i just watched Reverend Jen’s Really Cool Neighborhood: The rock and roll episode and i wanna say that it's AWESOME... anyway, can someone help her put it up on youtube or vimeo or something? the world needs to see this.

Reverend Jen’s Really Cool Neighborhood
I didnt know she did videos with that title, cool, i've got more stuff to cath up with!

The "Really Cool Neighbourhood" book is delightful, get it if you havent. It also includes the script for an epic puppet musical play called Les Misrahi which would kick "Avenue Q"'s sorry ass if it made it to boradway...
Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Nas isn't talking about gangsta rap y'all. He's talking about people like Soulja Boy and Dem Franchise Boys and Unk. The lyrics are repetitive and extremely stupid and they have dances to go with all of their songs. Here are a couple of the more famous examples:
YouTube - Soulja Boy Tell`em - Crank That (Soulja Boy)
YouTube - UNK WALK IT OUT VIDEO

Also, Keith, there was an era of hip hop before gangsta that was fun and uplifting. The raps were a little simplistic compared to what came from, say, a Wu Tang or whatever, but everyone was having a good time and dancing and having block parties and whatnot. I'm thinking of people like Busy Bee, Kurtis Blow, Biz Markie, etc.. Slick Rick maybe was a little more gangsta but a lot of fun. I spent a while looking for videos but it's not working out that great. Ask F-Mos about it sometime and he can give you the rundown I'm sure.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieaxeman View Post
rev jen and face boy are fucking AWESOME! <333
Yeah!! Fuck youuu and welcome to the forums!!!! LOUD NOISEEEEES!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffa View Post
Nas isn't talking about gangsta rap y'all. He's talking about people like Soulja Boy and Dem Franchise Boys and Unk. The lyrics are repetitive and extremely stupid and they have dances to go with all of their songs. Here are a couple of the more famous examples:
YouTube - Soulja Boy Tell`em - Crank That (Soulja Boy)
YouTube - UNK WALK IT OUT VIDEO

Also, Keith, there was an era of hip hop before gangsta that was fun and uplifting. The raps were a little simplistic compared to what came from, say, a Wu Tang or whatever, but everyone was having a good time and dancing and having block parties and whatnot. I'm thinking of people like Busy Bee, Kurtis Blow, Biz Markie, etc.. Slick Rick maybe was a little more gangsta but a lot of fun. I spent a while looking for videos but it's not working out that great. Ask F-Mos about it sometime and he can give you the rundown I'm sure.
Keith may not know some of these names but sure Chemda living in NY would be very familiar with the occasionally boastful but generally non-violent lyrics of folks like A Tribe Called Quest, Doug E Fresh, UTFO, Salt & Pepa, Kid -n- Play, Big Daddy Kane.
In general most rappers out of NY before Puffy and BIG came on the scene were if not positive at least generally non-violent, back in those days you might have had a fat chain but you also had a wooden or leather Africa symbol around your neck. There was a sense of Black pride in Rap music then, look at Queen Latifa in the "Ladies First" video, or KRS-1's song "You Must Learn" Lyrics were peppered with digestible bits of info from History that generally was not well stated in the school systems or moderate tidbits from the Nation of Islam or Five % Nation

How many old school hip-hop heads can properly respond to "Assalam alaikum"

Gangsta Rap really started out west with NWA & and the acts that came out of that split Ice Cube, Dr Dre (and ultimately Snoop) and then progressed East with a notable pitstop in Houston Where the Ghetto boys got real popular.

Amazon.com: All Hail the Queen: Queen Latifah: Music

YouTube - You Must Learn-KRS 1

Last edited by da_ticklah; 08-09-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffa View Post
Nas isn't talking about gangsta rap y'all.
I think what's confusing people (like me) is that gangsta rap is already perpetuating awful stereotypes about black people, so it makes zero sense to not criticize it, but instead attack Soulja Boy and shit.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

Nick Cannon, yeah he's probably part of the problem, but from what I've heard of Nas (admitedly not a whole lot), he's done a lot of more positive songs, and the ones about "gangsta" lifestyles are more cautionary tales then boasts. I also believe his last album was called "Hip Hop Is Dead."

But yeah, the Watermelon song, I have to admit, is pretty damn catchy.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnightJared View Post
Nick Cannon, yeah he's probably part of the problem, but from what I've heard of Nas (admitedly not a whole lot), he's done a lot of more positive songs, and the ones about "gangsta" lifestyles are more cautionary tales then boasts. I also believe his last album was called "Hip Hop Is Dead."

But yeah, the Watermelon song, I have to admit, is pretty damn catchy.
Oh shit, that's Nas? I recognize that song.

He gets cred in my book, then.