Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Does Joe Rogan have a right to call out joke thieves?
Yes. All whistle-blowers are appreciated. 145 84.80%
No. You don't sell out the way he has and act holier than thou. 26 15.20%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree9Likes

Old 08-11-2009, 03:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I love so much Marc Maron that i was somehow afraid to be disappointed. Instead i am floored. Incredible.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Marc Maron is great.

Great show.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Great show, but Marc seems like a bit of a comedy snob - kinda like Jesse Joyce. It's okay to steal jokes, just as long as you only do stand-up, so that exonerates Carlos Mencia, but since Joe Rogan did other stuff as well, he is somehow not on the same level, heh?. Marc was disgusted by Fear Factor, which is fair as it was a horrible show, but to me me he seemed almost equally disgusted by stand-ups who do other stuff (sit-coms, hosting etc.) besides writing or performing in a stand-up capacity.

But what the fuck do I know
Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumbag View Post
Marc was disgusted by Fear Factor, which is fair as it was a horrible show, but to me me he seemed almost equally disgusted by stand-ups who do other stuff (sit-coms, hosting etc.) besides writing or performing in a stand-up capacity.
Marc is a very opinionated man, and has a smart and caustic way to make his points (Read his book if you havent. It's weird but fascinating).

I'm very divided on the issue of selling out. Yes, most of the time, having a break in a sit-com or a show helps to make money. But when some comedian like David Cross acts in one shitty movie after the other after acting like king of the spiteful snobs for all his stand-up career... Well i can see why some can get in Marc'sline of tought.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

I don't think Joe Rogan sold out.

"Shiny Happy Jihad" is definitely in my top 5.

If you haven't listened to it you should.I'd like him to release another record, but it seems these things take a while.

David Cross is also awesome. I don't think he has sold out either, not that I've seen every shitty movie he's been in.

And Doug Stanhope and the man show? Was that selling out? Doug is fucking amazing, who gives a fuck! His cd's prove that.

So I guess it's all opinion.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonix View Post
I don't think Joe Rogan sold out.

"Shiny Happy Jihad" is definitely in my top 5.

If you haven't listened to it you should.I'd like him to release another record, but it seems these things take a while.

David Cross is also awesome. I don't think he has sold out either, not that I've seen every shitty movie he's been in.

And Doug Stanhope and the man show? Was that selling out? Doug is fucking amazing, who gives a fuck! His cd's prove that.

So I guess it's all opinion.
Maybe i didnt explain myself clearly (it happens). I love Joe Rogan's stuff and i was a big fan of David Cross (especially his first album). Also i worship Doug Stanhope. But my point of view as a fan is completely different from the one who works and lives with his stand up comedy.

Doug and Joe have always been the first to say that both Fear Factor and The Man show were crap. Cross was one of the smuggiest men on earth, he despised any form of comedy or entertainment who wasnt "intelligent", he shat on other comedians for being too low brow and on the fans too (just take a look at his "Let America Laugh"). And now he does "Alvin and the chipmunks".

Of course, in the end, i dont care. I'm just saying that i see why Marc thinks the way he does.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

Amazing show, already one of the my favourites. Marc Maron is great - I love his darkness .

Speaking of darkness, imagine Marc Maron and Pat Dixon hanging out; it'd be a race to see which one would be running for the razor blades first.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

"You don't see Hitler enough" I know! Same goes for video games; I realized this recently. I picked up an Xbox 360 game called Operation Darkness. It's crappy, but it was only $5 and I like the publisher. Japanese role-playing game set in WW2, the part of it where the soldiers could turn into werewolves. Everybody's favorite part.

Anyway, Hitler's face is right there on the back of the box: "Face Hitler's occult legions with magic and the power of werewolf transformation." This gave me pause because you just don't see that very often. Most developers stopped using Hitler's likeness in WW2 games a while ago, much less on the box. It's uncommon to even hear his name spoken; in Call of Duty I think he's only ever referred to indirectly as "Fuhrer" or something. I know that's the case in the Company of Heroes games. I've never played Medal of Honor, can somebody corroborate?

Steam | Gamertag | Twitter | YouTube

Last edited by Sokkratez; 08-11-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

You know what I'd like? A show with Keith, Jesse, Marc, et al. discussing Comedy: the craft, the business, the journey. A serious discussion about your funny business.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by archicat View Post
Amazing show, already one of the my favourites. Marc Maron is great - I love his darkness .

Speaking of darkness, imagine Marc Maron and Pat Dixon hanging out; it'd be a race to see which one would be running for the razor blades first.
Marc Maron spews a lot of funny venom in his stand-up shows. By listening (At least a couple of times) to his last cd, i guess that has to be somehow therapeutic for him. Some parts of it sound like he's digging up his heart and turning into a joke (Same feeling i had when i listened to Bill Hicks "Rant" for the first time).

Pat on the other way, is dark but in a more sacrcastic, one stabbing joke at a time way. His depression is a lot more hidden.

Anyway, Marc's "Final Engagement" cd is mandatory listening. It's a masterpiece. Makes you laugh and hurt at the same time.