Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Based on what you heard about the Wal-Mart beating in China:
It’s insane that a woman was beaten to death over stealing from a store. 132 76.30%
I’m glad it happened! You’re responsible for your actions! 41 23.70%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Of course you took me wrong, Jon. I'm happy the attempted car thief was killed. I was being sarcastic when I said that, just as I was when I said about Wal-Mart. I said something like, they ask to check your purse in Wal-Mart and the next thing you know they'll be allowed to rape you in Aisle 6.

Which is interesting that that's kind of what Grapist just said above, saying that to ask to see someone's purse after they've been caught stealing is the same as conducting cavity searches. This is really how people think.

Next thing you know the Government can go to our families' homes and ask to look in their purses...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Wal-Mart doesn't even bother with a majority of shoplifters as far as I've heard. Cited here:

"The New York Times reports the change in policy, citing internal documents from Wal-Mart that say it will now only press charges against those between the ages of 18 and 64 who take at least $25 worth of goods. Formerly its policy was to press charges against anyone who took at least $3 in goods."

Source from CNN (2006)

Though it's a bit of an old story I believe this is still the case and if they find you stealing something it's often easier to just let you go than pay someone to sort it out.

I do realize that's not directly related to what was talked about. The only reason I bring it up is because, depending on the value of the woman in the story might have taken, it surprised me that company policy of "It's not worth it" happens to be the opposite of what actually occurred.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

I suppose I should also mention that I know not prosecuting is different than not doing anything. I would guess they would just try to get the goods back and not involve the police.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Next thing you know the Government can go to our families' homes and ask to look in their purses...

Yes, and if they don't comply because they feel you are invading their privacy, inhumanely beat them to death.

You're right, that's fair.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

And then go to their house and steal their car and their house.

Yeah, okay, uh-huh, yeah... You wish...
Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

The other night I had a similar situation to Chemda, at least in terms of wondering weather or not I was going to get someone in trouble by calling the cops.

It was after midnight, I was driving through my sorta-ghetto neighborhood on my way home from the gym, and two 30-ish Mexican men tried to flag down my car. I knew they weren't trying to cross the street, they'd had plenty of opportunity to do that while I had waited to turn left onto my street.

At first, I slowed down, but then I realized that they were 2 full grown men, in the middle of a city, and I'm a fairly young girl (24) alone in my car in the middle of the night. I shook my head at them like "nice try, assholes," and I drove away.

When I got home, I called the front desk of the local police department (this wasn't an emergency and they're always so much nicer, and more efficient than 911 anyway) and told them about the men. Logically I thought that if they really needed help, than the police could help them out, and if they were trying to pull some shit than the police would be good also.

I privately worried that I was getting them in trouble, because in my neighborhood it would be very likely that they weren't US citizens, but they were less than 100 feet away from anything they might have needed, it was unnecessary to flag me down.

It made me nervous when the girl at the front desk asked me for my name and number. I didn't want to give it to her, but I kind of felt like I had to.

Last edited by marina; 09-09-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Isn't Keith a Veteran?

Can't he get free medical care at the VA Hospital? My father-in-law always raves about the treatment he gets...
Old 09-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Is it my imagination, or was Chemda really PMS'ing in this episode? I found her to be antagonistic and overly confrontational, debating Victor and Keith on absolutely everything whether they were joking or not.

I can usually tell right away from her abrasive tone how the show is giong to go. It happens rarely, but when she get in a "mood", she side-tracks every potentially hilarious conversation thread by jumping in and debating something that's completely beside the point, and the hilarity just fizzles.

***Edit*** to be fair, Victor is pretty easy to antagonize. :-)

Last edited by Mr.Stabby; 09-09-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffInMadison View Post
Can't he get free medical care at the VA Hospital? My father-in-law always raves about the treatment he gets...
Nope.

Not to be an asshole or devalue his service, but I don't think he served in a combat zone, so technically he's not a 'veteran'. Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken.

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-09-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Nope.

Not to be an asshole or devalue his service, but I don't think he served in a combat zone, so technically he's not a 'veteran'. Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken.
I don't think my father-in-law did either. Just saying...