Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you and your parents have a great relationship?
Yes 99 49.50%
No 101 50.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #21 (permalink)

Parent just don't Understand

Love yesterday's and today's show. My parents are Korean and so I can only assume that is worse than having Jew parents. My Fajah believes he's doing me a favor and showing his concern when he calls me a major fuckin fuck-up(*sounds better in Korean) and my Mom agrees. High 5!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #22 (permalink)

I do have a great relationship with my parent -- my mom's the only one still around because my dad died when I was fifteen. But before he died I did have a great relationship with him as well. We had very similar temperaments (total nerds, slurp). I still live in the same town as my mother, and talk to her on the phone at least once a week if not physically see her once a week, and consider her a friend.

She had a horrible experience with her parents (drunk father, bipolar mother), so I don't know if that has something to do with why she's so mellow with my brother and I, but she's never on my ass to get married and have kids like so many other mothers seem to, and she doesn't rag on me about stupid little details. Also I know that becoming a widow in her thirties made her take stock of some shit and realize what's important in life, because we grew a lot closer after my dad died. So she doesn't sweat the small stuff. She just wants my brother and I to be happy and enjoy life.

I wanted to add that I'm glad I'm not the only curmudgeon who gets irritated at people who shout conversations at each other on public transportation. These two bitches were doing that on the bus just this morning. At 6:30 AM I really don't give a shit what this guy did to that girl and how horrible it was. Just shut your fucking faces!!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #23 (permalink)

Dear Chemda,

I really believe you represent the greater population of people who are both independent of their parents but respect them enough to represent your family and your upbringing while you're in their presence. They drive us crazy and I think they know it and enjoy it a little. The truth is for everybody you just want to get through the day and they go their way and you go yours.

All of us at one time or another would love to tell our parents to go to hell. But that's my Dad and he raised me and kept the lights on so what the hell. Even if I'm 34 I'll mop the floor for the old man.

Even though at one time I did draw the line in the sand with my parents (day i graduated college, they were trying to drive me crazy again) it is difficult to hold that line to this day. I'm not doing enough with my life, I cant keep a woman, not focused on my business ideas, etc..... You all know the story. But when they go there I can always say, thanks Dad or Mom but I really didn't ask for your opinion.

Thanks for telling your story and keeping it real. You've inspired me to call my Mom and tell her I'll buy her a retirement condo so she won't die alone and then I'll go mop my floors to remind me of Dear Ol Dad.

.. I DRIVE FAST
Old 10-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I think that in the end a fucked up relationship with your family makes talented people.

Keith was spanked with an encyclopedia and he became a comical genius.

Chemda has troubles with her Middle Eastern family and she becomes a talented singer/songwriter and a comical genius (she made the israeli accent funny!!!!)

Dane Cook is loved by his mum and dad and he turned into a joke stealing coke head.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
No, the point is what you say.

If you have to "clarify," is it great?

Me and Chemda's relationship is great. Me and Brolo is great. Me and Adam is great.

Are you and your parents great?

No.

No...
I think we just disagree on what makes a great parent-child relationship. All the examples of great relationships are your peers. I think the parent-child relationship will always be different. Even though my parents respect me as an adult they will always think of me as their little girl. I still stand by my yes, I have a great relationship with my parents.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I think that in the end a fucked up relationship with your family makes talented people.
Then why am I such a zero?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
Then why am I such a zero?
There are different degrees of success, but c'mon you're not a zero. I am not succesful and i have not my shit together in any way, but i'm quite satisfied with my life.

But if anyone asked my father he would probably say that i'm a fuckup even if i made billions.

People who are openly despised by their families try harder to prove they're good. And are also more prone to self doubt. But they kick ass in the end.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Awesome folks. No complaints.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #29 (permalink)

I get along with my parents and I have been lucky enough to get in-laws who I get along with as well.

My folks know all about my life and how I have lived it. They may not be comfortable with all of it but they support me. It's cool.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #30 (permalink)

I had a great relationship with my parents

My father is dead, but he was a brilliant man, who cared for and loved his wife and children very much.

My mother is alive, and she misses him... and she also cared for and loved her husband and children.

They did everything they could, to give us the chances in life, that they never had, sometimes working two or three jobs each, spending time with us, and always there for us, somehow, even with the jobs.

I miss my dad every day.

I wish I was as good of a parent to my children, as they were to me. Although I have tried to emulate them... I don't think I have achieved the standard they set, though I try daily.