Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is Chemda a music snob?
Yes 135 69.95%
No 58 30.05%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatotherway View Post
But he has liked some movies, and he has stated the ones he enjoyed. I heard him on the podcast. Or do I just think I remember him saying he liked this or that movie? Now I have to listen to all the KATG podcasts a 5th time!
It sounds weird but he likes stuff, he's actually a human being. Weird, i know, but true.

He liked Watchmen (whatever), he liked Downfall, he liked Drag Me to Hell (he says it on this episode), he liked Bruno a lot, he liked W. (i dont get it, but whatever). He's prone to find more flaws than good things but that's because he's very critical.

Chemda is even harder to please than him, regarding movies, but he always gets the bad guy badge.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

About the a corporation massacring an entire people to get their crap, that happened in Brazil with the Akanzu people, who were discovered on land that was being cleared to make soy fields. Because the Brazilian government has a law that all indigenous people own their habitat, clearing was halted and use of the land became illegal. In order to reclaim the land, the logging company sent in private military forces to kill all the Akanzu. Some escaped, but as of 0ctober only 5 Akanzu are left.

It wasn't the government that murdered the Akanzu, it was a company hiring a private military force while the government was either unwilling or unable to enforce their own laws. I'm not defending Avatar--the story was a sack of shit--but that sort of thing really does happen and has happened in real life.

Decline of a tribe: and then there were five - Americas, World - The Independent

HowStuffWorks "Hide from Civilization"
Old 02-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
It sounds weird but he likes stuff, he's actually a human being. Weird, i know, but true.

He liked Watchmen (whatever), he liked Downfall, he liked Drag Me to Hell (he says it on this episode), he liked Bruno a lot, he liked W. (i dont get it, but whatever). He's prone to find more flaws than good things but that's because he's very critical.

Chemda is even harder to please than him, regarding movies, but he always gets the bad guy badge.
Yes, and I do like eating grilled cheese and peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches. This doesn't mean I like to eat fine meals. There's something out there for everybody, but for Keith it seems that movies don't have a good hit rate at all. For something that he hates more than 75% of the time you'd think he'd get the point sooner or later.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

One thing that happens to a good percentage of people who have to handle distressing situations, like the phone call from the old man is that you get desensitized to it. Nurses, people who work on help hotlines, journalists, social workers... You dont have to be a scumbag or a piece of shit, but you become colder and detach yourself from what you witness on the job. When i'm working on the ground i can deal with aids patients and starving families without loosing sleep at night. Hard at first but time helps.

So i dont think the operator really thinks about what happened (maybe she does when nosy reporter remind her)
Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapist View Post
Battlefield Earth:

Done by John Travolta, based on a story by L. Ron Hubbard. Horrible, horrible movie. I had to watch it as well, just to see how bad it is.
Holy shit that thing is awful!!! Hopefully it wins, but Gigli will probably win.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
In my not so humble opinion that's called "Survival of the fittest" or "evolution" and it isnt as bad as hippies say.

I'll remember that shit when America goes the way of the Romans. (Yes, I know you're not in America)
Old 02-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #27 (permalink)

anyone else think their desciption of avatar sounded like southpark imaginationland?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
People who play an instruments usually pay a lot more attention to the technical aspects of music. Of course emotions must come first. But a bass player or a guitariist will definitely enjoy a virtuoso much more than the average Joe. None of the two is more right than the other, it's just a matter of taste.

That works with vocals too. A professional singer, especially one that, like chemda, has a highly powerful voice, will notice the faults in some singers more than others.
Agreed, as a musician, listening to a virtuoso is one of the most amazing things, but I hardly enjoy listening to anything else, I always catch mistakes listening to other musicians, so I can't enjoy it, I judge all other musicians too harshly. An instrument slightly out of tune, coming in late, bad sound quality... anything and I won't be able to enjoy that song / live performance. I went to the opera the other day and couldn't enjoy it because the main singer cracked a note and the flute player slipped a few times. Maybe I should stop paying attention and try to enjoy the music. Oh wells.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #29 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_Bacon! View Post
Also can't sing: Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, Patti Smith, Joey Ramone. I'm sure there are a lot more, but these are off the top of my head.

Taylor Swift isn't horrible, especially compared to any of these. Her music is more about the content and how everyone can identify with something in the songs.

She's also not hiding behind auto-tune, which is aces plus.

I don't want to listen to only gifted singers no more than I want to listen to only gifted musicians. Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are all virtuoso guitarists, but a whole concert of that would make me batshit crazy.

("Okay, you can play 10,000 notes per minute, I get it!")

Meanwhile, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, etc. can hit one note and give you chills. It's about the power of the song, not technical proficiency.

Fuuuck you ! And welcome to the forums
Old 02-04-2010, 04:34 AM   #30 (permalink)

Various points I'd like to make:

1. re: Jessica Delfino's alien song, and therefore, aliens in general

I don't know about anyone else, but I think about this a fair bit (as in, not a lot, but more often than rarely)
So allegedly in evolution some random chemical thing happened that made life start, and it started with the dependence primarily on oxygen for breathing, and water for living etc.
So, when we go to look at Mars etc for signs of life, we look for oxygen and water.
Who says that life on another planet didn't evolve so that for example, the life forms there require nitrogen and saline to live? Or helium and titanium? Or fuckin whatever the fuck? We could totally be going to places looking for stuff, assuming they look and need the same as us. Meanwhile, there's a whole bunch of other stuff going on.

It would be great if someone had an opinion on this, because seriously, any time someone brings up aliens, this annoys me. Thank you.

2. Taylor Swift
I heard her on the radio here in Australia with some local guys called Hamish and Andy and I have to say that before that I found her bland and meek, and now I think she sort of rocks.
I was too worked up about the alien stuff to find a link as evidence though.