Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is Keith evil for masturbating to the rape scene in The Last House on the Left remake
Yes. That is so wrong. 28 13.73%
No. It’s a made-up story. Whatevs. 176 86.27%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #81 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Vapour Trails and Counterparts are the ones i still can listen to without shaking my head.

Even Snakes and Arrows is mediocre.

And the early production had great soundwriting (even if Lee really was way too high pitched). But the whole super polished stuff they did in between is undeniably cheesy and as far from rock as you can get. It had that plastic sound that to me symbolizes the worst from the eighties (think the difference between classic Queen and their Hot Space era).

So i dont dislike them for lack of trying. I think they're overrated and there's bands who do their style way better (one example: Budgie. Far less geeky and more rockin').

They're too much in love with their status of cultish band for music nerds. Same spirit that ruins more recent bands, like Mars Volta.

On a note: i listened, once, to a tribute album where a bunch of hard/heavy/prog bands did a bunch of Rush songs. Me, and many other people, including rush fans, liked the covers more. The songs sounded better, less dorky. Only band i know that did that.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #82 (permalink)

That political commercial reminds me of "Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey" (SNL).

Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
On a note: i listened, once, to a tribute album where a bunch of hard/heavy/prog bands did a bunch of Rush songs. Me, and many other people, including rush fans, liked the covers more. The songs sounded better, less dorky. Only band i know that did that.
Ugh. I haven't heard any cover version I like better than the originals.

Budgie was all about the sludge, and goofball humor, but the main similarities in style to Rush are a bass player singing in a high voice and the power trio format. And they were merely OK after Bandolier.

You like what you like. I think Matt's assessment of the guitar sound as "feminine" is just silliness, but perhaps if you're comparing it to Dimebag Darrell or James Hetfield...
Old 05-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #84 (permalink)

I don't get it...

I thought Matt Bray was quite a bit of alright. Sure, he's no Patrice but shit...he talked well.

Fucking tall poppy syndrome...
Old 05-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #85 (permalink)

" But the whole super polished stuff they did in between is undeniably cheesy and as far from rock as you can get. It had that plastic sound that to me symbolizes the worst from the eighties (think the difference between classic Queen and their Hot Space era"

not many albums by any band made in the 80's you cant say that about. digital technology was all the rage. and btw those "cheesy" synths sound awesome live.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looseidrummer View Post
not many albums by any band made in the 80's you cant say that about. digital technology was all the rage. and btw those "cheesy" synths sound awesome live.
It's a matter of taste. Their 30 year tour had this middle section where they played mostly synth driven stuff, and i found it boring.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Well Ted did a lot of stuff. He beat death, became a master surfer and thief, expert in bombs and bomb driver, slows down bullets, learned to fly, meet satan and god and had improbable philosophical dialogues with George Carlin.

He always was promising for a none too bright slacker.

Jeff Spiccoli became a gay politician. Meh.
I was going to say almost all of that. Verbatim. Just different tone.

Now ya FUCKED IT UP! I can't now! It's over. You got the joke. Be happy.

You got it....LOL.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #88 (permalink)

I have a friend who says Neil Peart is an amazing drummer. Thing is, I've seen with my own eyes, 17 year olds in high school jazz bands better than he. Not only does Rush suck, but their "best drummer to ever live" is actually the most overrated drummer to ever live. Unbefuckinglievable. The dude plays songs that change time mid-song. Which makes him better than 90% of butt rock bands that play in whatever city you're in. But to be even considered one of the best of all time? My. Aching. Dick. Aaaand /endrant!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #89 (permalink)

ive been playing drums for nearly 20 years. when i was 15 years old i thought neil peart was the best drummer in the world. as you get older your tastes change/mature and of course he is not the "best" drummer in the world. there is no such thing. the thing is a lot of the "best" drummers arent in legendary bands that have sold tens of millions of albums and been putting out new albums every 2 years and playing in sold out arenas for 30+ years. it is hard to understand from today's perspective to realize how big rush was back in the day and the impact peart had at the time. of course there are monster drummers today that can play rings around neil peart but a) its not all about chops and how fast you can play and b) the players of today have the benefit of the groundwork and vocabulary that was created in the past by players like peart. if you ask most drummers they are gonna say they were hugely influenced by guys like peart, john bonham, ringo star and stewart copeland. are these guys the "best"? no , but they had their own voice and played the right parts for their respective bands at the time. as far as 70's prog i would have to say Yes and Genesis are far superior, but Rush was a huge part of my formative years.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #90 (permalink)

Most people here AND both Keith and Matt on the show werent saying that Peart sucks.

They just said that everyone feels like they HAVE to say that he's the best drummer.

I think he's great but as far as rock i think Bonham was better. For more pop oriented stuff Copeland was better. And my favourite all time drummer is Bernard "Pretty" Purdie: the man played with everyone in the music business, covering all the genres, sometimes "incognito" (it's quite known that he played most of the drum parts on the early beatles albums, covering for a messed up Ringo.

Just look at his Wiki: Bernard Purdie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But that's not the point. The guy played a clinic some time ago. I was filmin' it for a dvd, and even if i'm not a drummer ic couldnt hold my ass still AND be amazed at the simple, perfect, flawless GROOVE the man could pull out from scratch.

And if you talk to people, only drummers know him. Sometimes not even them.

Peart seems to me an obvious choice. Like sayin' that the Beatles were the best pop band of all time, or Hendrix as the best guitar player.