Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is human praise meaningless if we are not following God's directives?
Yes 19 13.57%
No 121 86.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #41 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Can someone with the nerd problem describe this nerd problem? As described on the show, I'm not even sure what it means. I would think I should have any nerd-problem out there, but I don't think I have this one.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Can someone with the nerd problem describe this nerd problem? As described on the show, I'm not even sure what it means. I would think I should have any nerd-problem out there, but I don't think I have this one.
What I guess we're calling the nerd problem here is poor communication and social skills leading to nerds behaving irrationally and angrily without due cause and often without realizing it.

It's snapping at someone because they won't explain something to you in a way that you find satisfactory, unfairly placing the onus on others to satisfy your needs.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #43 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

oh, then I don't have it

I do have poor social and communication skills though, but in the time I stay quiet I self-rationalize anything that was said that doesn't make sense. Or if there is a contradiction I'll point it out (or won't because they already moved on).
Old 10-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
What I guess we're calling the nerd problem here is poor communication and social skills leading to nerds behaving irrationally and angrily without due cause and often without realizing it.

It's snapping at someone because they won't explain something to you in a way that you find satisfactory, unfairly placing the onus on others to satisfy your needs.
Sounds like a nerd entitlement thing
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
I would start by not putting "friends" in quotes.

What is that supposed to mean?

Were they not really your friends?
They are in quotes because I cannot consider you a friend if you cannot communicate with me. A friend without quotes is someone who knows I am very socially awkward and bad at communicating (ex: has weird "why?" questions), but likes me anyway.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
oh, then I don't have it
I'd say I don't either. While I do have a hard time dealing with...blatant ignorance, I keep my thoughts to myself.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo_Culprit View Post
Sounds like a nerd entitlement thing
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomesauce View Post
They are in quotes because I cannot consider you a friend if you cannot communicate with me. A friend without quotes is someone who knows I am very socially awkward and bad at communicating (ex: has weird "why?" questions), but likes me anyway.
Leads to this.

It's your job to get better at helping people understand you, not the other way around.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:37 PM   #48 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
I do have poor social and communication skills though, but in the time I stay quiet I self-rationalize anything that was said that doesn't make sense. Or if there is a contradiction I'll point it out (or won't because they already moved on).
I guess this is more my problem. I have learned to tell when I am annoying someone, but sometimes push past their being annoyed because I don't care. I only really get angry when I am already overwhelmed and about to get angry. I also get called a "bitch" a lot because I am quiet and in an authority position (I am a manager).
Old 10-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess this is more my problem. I have learned to tell when I am annoying someone, but sometimes push past their being annoyed because I don't care. I only really get angry when I am already overwhelmed and about to get angry. I also get called a "bitch" a lot because I am quiet and in an authority position (I am a manager).
Best piece of advice I can give is to learn to shut up and hear other people out.

You're getting angry and you don't care that people are annoyed because you're not invested in what they have to say. It's talking at vs talking to and you have to care what the other person has to say and be willing to take the time to digest and respond to it thoughtfully.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:45 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess I don't have the problem then because I don't have the luxury of placing the burden of description on the other party, since I've never really been in a position of power. I bet if I were a manager I'd make other people explain stuff to me.