Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: McDonald's
Chemda 95 50.00%
Keith Alberstadt 95 50.00%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #51 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

So 8 Mile says the guy grew up "on the wrong side of Detroit's 8 mile" but the whole place seems like shit. What's the wrong side like, do you just instantly get robbed?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #52 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I think guest Keith is really funny. His CD is really great, particularly the track you played. I have a simple name, but living in Asia, people have all sorts of problems with it and often ask for spellings. If I am in the mood I will spell them a random word instead, and tell them it's pronounced "Matthew".

Regarding another comment he made about the date 10-11-10 (I use the British date order of Day, Month, Year), on Wednesday I wound up my IT manager about it. The conversation went like this, I thought Keith M would appreciate:

Me: "Hung, I just typed the date 101110 into my computer, and now all my fonts are green"

Him: "Huh? Strange..."

Me: "Yes, 'cos I thought it would all come out blue."

Him: "?????????? Can I get back to you?"

[later]

Him: "Mr Matthew, Blue is #0000FF. Try that..... Slurp"
Old 11-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitler View Post
Chemda is right, and mcdonalds is evil.
"Evil" seems to be commonly confused with "successful business". Every corporation has the same intentions, but nobody ever thinks corporations are evil until they become the big dog on top.

The concept of "business" at its purest form is entirely about a profitable barter. If someone has a problem with McDonald's business model, the problem they have has less to do with McDonald's itself and more to do with the corporate flowers that sprout from capitalist soil.

It seems odd to me that people are so willing to call something evil for being good at what our society encourages. Maybe save "evil" for shit that actually matters? Or for something the word accurately represents? McDonald's is just a place that will give me shitty burgers really quickly if I give them small amounts of money. They'll sell me a billion burgers if I have the amount of money they require. They don't give a fuck if I eat so many burgers I literally explode. That's not evil.

McDonald's only becomes evil once someone believes in the idea that Americans are so thoroughly helpless and witless that the most worthless turd of a toy is enough for a corporation to overpower their parenting. And if you believe that, I have to wonder why McDonald's is the thing you're choosing to fight in that situation.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justingoodman@live.com View Post
I currently live in the the middle of one of SDs large citys and have managed to not buy any of my produce lettice,cabbage, eggs, spinach, etc.,from grocery stores in the last two years despite the fact that i am feeding myself, my wife and four kids.
Do you have a backyard where you live? I'm desperate to start a garden, but we don't even have the space to have a vertical garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post
I love farmers markets, and they can actually be super affordable if you buy what's in season. Of course this means adjusting your eating habits, but if you're really all for this kind of lifestyle, you can make it work.
Maybe because we're in LA and it's trendy to shop at farmers markets, or because we have to drive 30 miles one way to get to the good weekend markets since we work all week, but it was costing us twice as much to shop at farmers markets as it does to shop at Trader Joe's.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
Maybe because we're in LA and it's trendy to shop at farmers markets, or because we have to drive 30 miles one way to get to the good weekend markets since we work all week, but it was costing us twice as much to shop at farmers markets as it does to shop at Trader Joe's.
Oh, I see. I'm right on the edge of a small town in the middle of the boonies, so it's a bit easier. There's one that I can walk to from my house in only a couple of minutes, but they're closed for the season.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 AM   #56 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
So 8 Mile says the guy grew up "on the wrong side of Detroit's 8 mile" but the whole place seems like shit. What's the wrong side like, do you just instantly get robbed?

8 Mile Rd is the northern border of Detroit. The suburbs just to the north are not exactly a walk in the park, either. 8 Mile is also where most of the strip clubs are.

As far as getting instantly robbed, it never happened to me while I was living in the area and some of that time I did live in the city of Detroit. Most 12 years I worked inside the city at least a few days a week. You just have to not be stupid and paint a target on your back.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #57 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
"Evil" seems to be commonly confused with "successful business"...

McDonald's is just a place that will give me shitty burgers really quickly if I give them small amounts of money. They'll sell me a billion burgers if I have the amount of money they require. They don't give a fuck if I eat so many burgers I literally explode. That's not evil.
Yes, McDonald's isn't evil, only its burgers are.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #58 (permalink)

I currently live just outside Ann Arbor, but venture into Detroit on occasion. I've been there numerous times for concerts and sporting events and luckily I haven't had a problem yet. The area around Comerica Park is quite nice as it's new and I've never felt in danger there. Venturing to some music venues like Harpo's or Blondie's is a slightly different matter however... you're usually wading through a sea of broken glass, trash, graffiti and the homeless. Burned out and boarded up buildings are a common sight.

I have a lot of friends who grew up in Detroit. They still love the city and do their best to stick up for it. I can see there are still parts to love, but for the most part they're just kidding themselves if they don't realize this city is a festering, dying version of what it once was.

"I hate everyone equally..."

Holy shit, awesome:
www.heavymetalgeek.com
Holy shit, I'm in a band:
www.reverbnation.com/caligarimetal
Stupid, stupid shit I say:
www.twitter.com/skizzbot

Old 11-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #59 (permalink)

Infected/Contagious Spoiler Alert

Any of you Detroit/Michigan people offended that Scott Sigler nuked your city?

Last edited by Medium Brumski; 11-12-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: whoops
Old 11-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Brumski View Post
Any of you Detroit/Michigan people offended that Scott Segler nuked your city?
damnit i am half way through that lol