Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Are Keith and Cat either engaged or married?
Yes 83 47.16%
No 93 52.84%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1316: More Than Meets the Eye

"I think you're engaged."

LAURENHENNESSY.COM

Michael Khalili — Tap my brain, drink it up.

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

I heard on the news this morning that the word got to Arizona that Fred Phelphs and crew were going to protest the funerals of all the people that died in that massacre (including the 9-year-old girl!) so AZ passed emergency legislation making it illegal.

Arizona enacts funeral protest legislation - CNN

I'm not sure how I feel about this from a legal standpoint but those Westboro assholes do make my skin crawl so fuck 'em.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

message to lauren

Lauren it was so amazing and wonderful to hear your story. I know you are helping so many people out there that feel the same way and don't understand it or are afraid. Also, this is an amazing step towards feeling more comfortable in your own skin, knowing that you aren't alone or a freak and that you are amazing and loved. You kick ass!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I only got to hear bits and pieces of this episode last night, but I got the gist of it and can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Lauren, I'm proud of you. I know a few m2f people and while I'm sure there are some differences, I saw a lot of what they went through and how they are now. It takes guts to talk about it to friends, much less an audience this size. I'll wait to hear the show in its entirety before I comment further...
Old 01-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Lauren ive always thought you were great guest like a regular person honest cool fun happy why cant all guest be like that.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Lauren does that mean that you calling me "boyfriend" was all a trick!?

NOOOOOOOO!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I know I'm kind of the one who always pitches a bitch fit when Keith and Chemda say shit about transgender people because I have trans friends and have watched people go through exactly what Lauren's going through. I thought that Lauren was trans within the first couple of shows she was on. The way she described her relationships sounded like other transguys I've known.

It broke my heart when it sounded like she was saying that either she's going to learn to live in a body she's uncomfortable with, or she's going to die of cancer. I know successful, happy transgender people, you don't have to chose between personal happiness and success. It's unrealistic to say that there isn't going to be more resistance to a transgender person from society at large, but I'd rather the whole world hate me and be okay with who I am than spend every second in the kind of situation that Lauren's describing.

Obviously, I've only been whiteness to other people's transition, I can only identify with 10% of any given transman's experience. I have no way of knowing what's really at stake, but I wanted to say that, the times in my life that I've stood at the edge of a cliff, afraid to jump, afraid to stay, trying to come to terms with living forever on 6 inches of space when the entire world was right in front of me, the only thought I had after I finally jumped was "why didn't I think of this sooner?"

Last edited by marina; 01-12-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you so much for the amazing show everyone.

Chemda, my heart goes out to you for the visit you will be having with your mother. I wish there was something I could do to help it be a positive and constructive visit that brings resolution, compassion and acceptance for everyone involved.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lauren, I'm so glad you talked about this on the show!!! I have worked with and interviewed a number of trangender individuals, and I keep thinking I have a handle on what that experience is about, but every time I hear a new story, I am humbled as I learn a totally new way of looking at it. Thank you, Lauren, for sharing your perspective.

Here is the Wiki entry for the man Lauren was talking about who was denied medical care because he was trans, and who later died of Ovarian Cancer.

There is an amazing documentary about him, called Southern Comfort. It won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance Film Festival. It is available on Netflix (EDIT: I thought it was streamable, but I was mistaken. Boo.), but there are 2 films there with the same name, so make sure you choose the one that looks like this:

Our love is God...
let's go get a Slushie.

Last edited by jacey.ATX; 01-12-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow, really impressive

I am only halfway through this episode but I am so touched by the honesty and bravery of Lauren. Fantastic episode and so supportive of Lauren.