Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Dane Cook on "Louis"
Keith 54 77.14%
Chemda 16 22.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #21 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

i've seen the idea as him losinbg the main reason for being a criminal and realizing that he really did it cause it made him feel good and strong. And that he is basicallt a piece of shit in sheep's clothing.

it awoke so many layers. just think of the line he utters in "Fly": "i missed the occasion to day when things were good, it was the perfect moment to go. Now i have done all of this and survived and have to deal with it".

him, jesse, all of them, they keep transofrming with each episode and switching the tone completely.

it's a show you either love or hate, but to me its miles better than other beloved things like Dexter (which already got almost destroyed by how high the fourth season was and how lame the fifth was)
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
i've seen the idea as him losinbg the main reason for being a criminal and realizing that he really did it cause it made him feel good and strong. And that he is basicallt a piece of shit in sheep's clothing.

This is excellent. A blog I read talked about this very issue the other week. Many people who watch this show consider Walter a "good man" who was forced to do bad things due to circumstances. And this blogger argued that no, Walter was always an asshole, and dying of cancer just gave him that push and freed him to openly be the asshole that he always was. It was very interesting!

Also, Jesse is turning out to be more of the moral center of the show than Walter. The most recent episode with him having his sad rave party to avoid dealing with what he's done, and that Roomba pathetically running across the floor like an illustration of his aimlessness. It's dark and brilliant.

Last edited by Blitzgal; 08-04-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #23 (permalink)

totally. Jesse is fundamentally a human character that has a conscience and deals with what everything is doing to his soul. and aaron paul is amazing at saying tons of stuff without even talking (helps that he has a naturally expressive face).

Jesse started as a messed up slacker, than he met one of the most evil main characters ive ever seen in fiction and saw it destroy evgeything around him.

Walt was never a good man, even in flashbacks he gave the vibe of a cocky piece of shit that knows he can justify anything to himself cause hes intelligent.

And at some point in the series he turned from a man pushed into darkness, to a sociopath who as jesse pointed out in a line (comparing himto gus) "if he doesnt kill you, he makes you wish you were dead".

Seriously the whole series is hard to like, its slow and crawly but it still has better ideas, better dialogue, better acting (by ALL the cast members), and better visuals than anything else on tv or in movies.

i can see how people could find it boring, sometimes, it is and a lot. but it's still my favourite piece of fiction ever in any format.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
i can see how people could find it boring, sometimes, it is and a lot. but it's still my favourite piece of fiction ever in any format.

I agree; watching the scene with Jim Beaver selling Walter the gun made me understand why someone would be bored watching the show. It seemed like absolutely nothing was happening. But I'm a Deadwood watcher who really loved what they did with dialogue, etc. so I'm a sucker for this stuff.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #25 (permalink)

yeah, good example. and yet the acting in the scene was amazing to me. Cranbston's eyes dig holes in a scene even when he isnt saying anything.

the new episodes seem to be going on the psychological drama route (although Gus's scene in the first one was one of those gut punchers that only this series pulls that well).

i gave up trying to make people like what i like, after hearing for the 100th time that "Mad Men" is boring. to each its own, i cannot stand "24" and i always thought "30 rock" and "californaication" became unbearable after a few episodes but i still hear people talking about them as they're the golden standard...
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #26 (permalink)

I'm over 30 Rock. I enjoyed it the first two seasons but it became too much of the same thing for me. And I only watched the first two seasons of Californication as well. To me, 24 is just jingoistic dick waggling. They had to pull out the retarded "amnesia" storyline right in season one, which means they were going downhill from the outset.

But I agree with you; people are going to like different things so trying to argue with someone about why they *should* like something is pointless. It sounds like we watch the same stuff! Mad Men is in my top five.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I'm going to start Season 4 of Breaking Bad after I post this message. One way they can go is Entourage: the guy makes whatever millions per month and just balls all day every day. Nothing bad ever happens.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
But I agree with you; people are going to like different things so trying to argue with someone about why they *should* like something is pointless. It sounds like we watch the same stuff! Mad Men is in my top five.
yeah i thought 24 would be entertaining but the plot twists didnt work for me. there's better "guns and ammo" series out there... i love Leverage, criminal Minds, Sons Of Anarchy, Burn Notice, even Prison Break, which are all silly entertainment and distract me. 24 just bored the fuck out of me.

Yeah, i think Mad Men is brilliant but whenever i try to reccomend it to others, i get told, its "boring". so i guess i have a different idea of boredom than others. Oh yeah, lots of people hating "the wire" too, which is INSANE to me, but whatever. and dont get me started on the ones i heard dissing Deadwood as some "gross cowboy thing" (considering that it's more of a drama that happens to be set in the old west)

As a bottom line, i think i hate most movies but i enjoy 98% of tv series. they're just better and more engaging usually.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

You need to get new friends imo. I don't want to know any dude who hates The Wire.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

I gave Mad Men season one and the first 2 episodes of season two and I just couldn't get into it. It is boring to me. I can't help it, I tried!!

Watched the first 3 episodes of The Wire the other day, I'm hooked.