Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you have OCD?
Yes 17 15.18%
No 95 84.82%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have depersonalization disorder (I blogged about it here, if you want more info). But my grandfather who raised me had OCD along with a host of other problems, most creepy of which is that he was totally a sociopath. He could magically turn off all his problems whenever he needed to look good or impress somebody. But when people weren't looking, he talked to himself in a creepy sounding high voice, he couldn't stand to have somebody walk on a path that he could potentially walk on along with a host of other weird ticks and rules that turned our house into circus sideshow.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Great show - and inspiring.

I've been struggling to overcome the mountain of research I've been accumulating over the last years and actually put pen to paper for my dissertation. Two things Mike Sacks said that got me out of my funk and 10 new pages last night: Writers have to write constantly and people write to create a world in which the writer is in control. He was describing why so many people with OCD are writers, but the lesson I took from it was that I could take control of my research. I feel just enough freed from anxiety that I'm actually producing after all of this time only able to compile.

The episode was funny as hell. When I come up for air, I'm getting Mike's books. Great guest. I hope they can find an excuse to have him on again soon :-)

Once again - Keith and Chemda are serious pros at this. You guys are the best.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Keith's comments on your "worst fear" on a Fear Factor application sounded...familiar.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleNarrator View Post
Great show - and inspiring.

I've been struggling to overcome the mountain of research I've been accumulating over the last years and actually put pen to paper for my dissertation. Two things Mike Sacks said that got me out of my funk and 10 new pages last night: Writers have to write constantly and people write to create a world in which the writer is in control. He was describing why so many people with OCD are writers, but the lesson I took from it was that I could take control of my research. I feel just enough freed from anxiety that I'm actually producing after all of this time only able to compile.

The episode was funny as hell. When I come up for air, I'm getting Mike's books. Great guest. I hope they can find an excuse to have him on again soon :-)

Once again - Keith and Chemda are serious pros at this. You guys are the best.
Yeah very true. That is the best advice for writing. Just keep at it. It's funny how that advice is so simple and yet it can still be a challenge to do. Is this the first time that a writer wasn't awkward on KATG? The two that I remember didn't fare so well.

I really enjoyed Mike Sacks on the show. I'm going to check out his stuff as well. Hope it's available for Kindle
Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

In writers' defence, we've had a bunch of cool authors before on the show. Scott Sigler, Rev Jen, Faceboy, PotatoE. I'm probably forgetting someone. In fact, the show is being hosted by by book writers.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ah, yes. Point taken. I've forgotten those. I guess the awkward writers were more fresh in my mind. But yes the awkward interviews are more the minority than the norm.