Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is your partner’s slobbery disrespectful?
Yes 32 32.99%
No 39 40.21%
N/A 26 26.80%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #51 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Let's wait a bit and see the suicide statistics.

Half the suicide methods you listed are less lethal than jumping off a bridge.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Let's wait a bit and see the suicide statistics.

Half the suicide methods you listed are less lethal than jumping off a bridge.
I don't think you can say they're less lethal. It's just that they may require a bit more effort, and some of them can be saved if intervention is notified. But it's not any LESS lethal to drive your car off a bridge than it is to jump, to a bullet to the brain.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiethestrange View Post
I don't think you can say they're less lethal. It's just that they may require a bit more effort, and some of them can be saved if intervention is notified. But it's not any LESS lethal to drive your car off a bridge than it is to jump, to a bullet to the brain.
Way to cherry-pick the lethal ones.

Knives and pills have solid survival rates. Guns are hard to get.

The bridge is on the way to class.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #54 (permalink)

Well, regardless my argument isn't the lethal-ness of bridges. It is that the net isn't going to influence the suicide rates because the problem isn't the lack of net but whatever is going on for that individual...

I'm sure there are many ways for these students to kill themselves on their walk to school. It's not like that suicidal kid who just failed his exam is going to be like "FUCK! They put up a NET!?! Now, I'll never be able to kill myself!!" ... he will find a way, if he is really intent on dying.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #55 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Way to cherry-pick the lethal ones.

Knives and pills have solid survival rates. Guns are hard to get.

The bridge is on the way to class.
Kittens and feathers also have very high survival rates as well (but not cotton balls which is surprising. Maybe an allergy thing?), so you can't say she was completely cherry picking.

I think a majority has to do with liability and cost. To give them one shred of the benefit of the doubt I have a friend who works on the Golden Gate Bridge and the sheer number of people who jump off that is appalling. Maybe the thinking is by deterring the top location the person will have time to reconsider, however I honestly think 99% of it has to do with basically saying "we don't charge a toll on your sleeping pills, please don't jump off our bridge".
Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #56 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Do they think suicidal people are STUPID? and will see the net and jump anyways?
ok, that cracked me up

and mcbane, your last post had a negative impact on your credibility

i got your cotton balls

seriously, my balls are constructed solely of densely compacted cotton fibers
Old 08-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #57 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
IF they actually cared they would put money into counselling services for college students, a suicide help line etc etc etc ... not a fucking net. Idiots.
They put a shit load of money into counseling but your talking about 18 - 25 year old morons who are nothing but a giant bubble of hormones and drama, they don't go get the counseling. Nets are kind of stupid but hey at least the rest of us don't have to see the body's floating down the river
Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #58 (permalink)

Are the nets still dangerous, or is it like a super trampoline jump? Because if it's safe, I'd jump for stress relief.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
The logic behind Cornell University putting up nets is really stupid.

There is a wide variety of reasons why someone kills themselves, it's NOT because there aren't nets to catch them.

A girl walks to a bridge to jump because her father molested her and her child just died, not because she was going on a stroll and looked over and was like "HOLY FUCK THERE IS NO NET. MUST. JUMP." by their logic we must presume if there had been a net then she should have lived a long and happy life.
I think you've got the logic mixed up there a little bit. The net isn't intended to prevent people from jumping off the bridge on a whim - it's there to decrease the number of deaths from people jumping off the bridge. And, for all we know, the net may not even be particularly easy to see (especially for anyone jumping at night).

The theory behind the net is not to deter people who are going on a stroll past an un-netted bridge. And while I don't know much about the psychology behind suicide attempts, I would bet that if someone musters up the courage to jump off the bridge and arrives to see a net, that person will probably need a few days to get the courage to try something different and might even find another way to deal with his or her problems.

Quote:
... if they're going to put a net up to prevent suicide then they will also need to dull ALL KNIVES, hide ALL pills, ban all guns, lengths of rope, don't forget household items which can be consumed such as drano or bleach... they also better get rid of cars because those things can be driven off cliffs, ... if someone is going to kill themselves, they will find a way.
I'm sorry to say, but this argument is completely flawed. If there's a way to cut down on a problem, that idea isn't discarded simply because it isn't 100% effective. Seat belts won't save everyone in a car accident, yet they've still been implemented because they help.

Quote:
Do they think suicidal people are STUPID? and will see the net and jump anyways? do suicidal people generally try to kill themselves with feathers, kittens or other useless non-killing items? no... they generally go with something dangerous and life threatening.
Of all the people who will want to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge, I bet some of them will try it at night, when there's nobody around to try to stop them, and some of them will even get drunk and have some impaired vision. Others may see the net, go home, and think about trying again in a few days. If everyone who visits that bridge has to come up with a new plan, some of them will get help and abandon the suicide attempt. Not everyone, but there's a better chance they'll recover.

Quote:
it is so irritating that they make it seem as if they give a fuck by putting up a net to save lives when in reality they are most likely just putting it up because they don't like having to waste the coast guard's time & money retrieving the body, shutting down the bridge and messing up traffic.
Can't it be both? Maybe the net idea has been effective elsewhere, and maybe residents would like to cut taxes by lowering the burden on emergency responders - who, despite doing it for a living, actually don't enjoy fishing dead children out of rivers.

Quote:
IF they actually cared they would put money into counselling services for college students, a suicide help line etc etc etc ... not a fucking net. Idiots.
Do you know that they don't have counseling services or a suicide helpline? Besides, if they're going to put money into counselling services for college students, a suicide help line etc etc etc, then they will also need to dull ALL KNIVES, hide ALL pills, ban all guns, lengths of rope, don't forget household items which can be consumed such as drano or bleach... they also better get rid of cars because those things can be driven off cliffs.

All that being said, I have no idea if the net is effective or how the associated costs compare to any other methods of suicide prevention. But I can't assume that this is the least effective way to prevent or deter suicide, or that this is the only tactic they are employing (suicide hotlines, counseling, etc.).
Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, regardless my argument isn't the lethal-ness of bridges. It is that the net isn't going to influence the suicide rates because the problem isn't the lack of net but whatever is going on for that individual...

I'm sure there are many ways for these students to kill themselves on their walk to school. It's not like that suicidal kid who just failed his exam is going to be like "FUCK! They put up a NET!?! Now, I'll never be able to kill myself!!" ... he will find a way, if he is really intent on dying.
If that scenario were to occur, the kid will either find a way in a couple more days or weeks, or he'll realize that he isn't really intent on dying. Not the worst thing in the world to happen.