Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Stocking up on water and canned goods
I get it 69 65.71%
I don't get it 36 34.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Regarding extra change on metro card

I used to get annoyed by how the metro card calculates bonus change and you end up with extra money that's useless, until I found out about the metro card bonus calculator. This site is great at calculating how much money you can put in your card so it is all used up, bonus money and all.. Since I've been using this, I've been able to zero out my card w/o hassles.. Spread the word
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingindie View Post
After just going through the Queensland floods in January, i can tell you that stocking up on bottled water and non-perishable food might seem silly, until you wake up one morning and realise you are literally stuck in your house for a week with no power and no water. Makes it a lot easier to relax.
Same here. We are in a higher part of the city and were in no immediate threat. After a couple of days we went to the shops to get long life milk, bottled water and some canned food and realised we were a lot more relaxed then most and the shops were already starting to run low on some things.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

In Hawaii, we learned to stock up on food and water not just because of the threat of natural disasters (there is only so much time available to prepare for a tsunami), but because if there is a problem at the docks, the shipments don't arrive at all, and you're stuck with what is already available on the island. That happened years ago when the dock workers went on strike. Not the same situation, I know, but I get stocking up on food and water. A lot of things happen with no warning, including earthquakes or lengthy power outages. In addition to having at least a week's worth of supplies stored, we also make sure we have a full propane tank for the BBQ. If anything that'll help boil water.

On another note...I have never been to NYC, but Keith and Chemda (and guests) always make it seem like the most miserable place to be. MTA workers are assholes. Restaurant workers are rude. Customer service departments don't do shit for you. Taxi drivers are assholes. Doctors don't care. Is NY really so bad, or are you guys contributing to the cycle of bad behavior and making it seem like you're the victims all the time?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyuilani View Post
Is NY really so bad, or are you guys contributing to the cycle of bad behavior and making it seem like you're the victims all the time?
New York City is pretty unique in terms of the cities I've been to. Much more of a "get shit done or get out of my way" attitude. I spent about 3 months in Long Island, and went into the city at least once every week or two to hang out and do stuff, and I noticed every time that if I didn't "own myself" while I was there, shit could go wrong.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post
New York City is pretty unique in terms of the cities I've been to. Much more of a "get shit done or get out of my way" attitude. I spent about 3 months in Long Island, and went into the city at least once every week or two to hang out and do stuff, and I noticed every time that if I didn't "own myself" while I was there, shit could go wrong.
I sort of have that attitude with a pinch of self-accountability. But I'm also a rare breed in that I have rose-colored glasses and see most things in the city as sunny and peachy keen. I tried to show McNally that side of NYC a few times but he just didnt see it.

Granted, a lot of the gripes by KATG aren't w/o reason, but like all generalizations not all of those people are assholes. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't always experienced a miserable experience w/doctor's, MTA workers, taxi drivers, etc. I have sure but not every time (or the majority of the time).

And I did mention that bonus calculator (if not just google metro card bonus calculator) up above right? That completely eliminates that metro card issue.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #26 (permalink)

MTA's Flickr stream has some interesting post-storm photos. I don't know where Metro North's Beacon station is, but the pedestrian walkway is completely underwater!

Flickr: MTAPhotos' Photostream
Old 08-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
MTA's Flickr stream has some interesting post-storm photos. I don't know where Metro North's Beacon station is, but the pedestrian walkway is completely underwater!

Flickr: MTAPhotos' Photostream
That's the Hudson line all the way up in Dutchess county (that's usually considered Upstate NY).
Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

I like New York. It seems as most people have a "just stay out of my way and let me get shit done" attitude. They're not overly friendly, but you get used to it. There's SO many people trying to exist in such a small place, everyone is just trying to get through their day. That may sound bad, but I don't mind it. Being here in the midwest where you may accidentally get into an unwanted conversation with an old lady in a grocery line is way more annoying, IMO.

In fact, the only time I ever had any prob in NY so far, was when some random guy called Face and I losers in Washington Square b/c we were holding hands. I've been there 8 times in 15 months and ONE random dude yelled at me. Meh.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliofromny View Post
I did mention that bonus calculator (if not just google metro card bonus calculator) up above right? That completely eliminates that metro card issue.
All you need is a bonus website to calculate the shady bullshit from the MTA to figure out your transit money. That eliminates that problem without any hassle. It couldn't be any simpler if they gave out FREE rides. Easy breezy. (Also, I already knew how to add.)
Old 08-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

What came first, comic con celebrities charging for autographs, or cheap nerds? I think what happened is celebs went to sign autographs for free, and all the nerds swarmed them even for people they didn't care about to resell on eBay. Then celebs had to start charging so only the people who actually want autographs get them.