Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Will 'Occupy Wall Street' affect real change?
Yes 31 22.63%
No 106 77.37%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #81 (permalink)

I was going to make a lengthly post on the Occupy protests, but I see someone has already posted Carlin's "American Dream" video and that is about as prescient as you can get on this topic. I will add one thing, however. Ok, maybe two. First, I hate myself for getting worked up on *anything* political, especially when it is due to a comedy podcast. I hate myself for caring and wanting Keith to actually 'get' something that involves more thought than just a gut comedic off-the-cuff rant. And yet I do. But I shouldn't.

Second, I guess when it comes to OWS you either get it or you don't. Personally, I watched about two minutes of CNN's coverage of the protests this morning and I immediately *GOT* a few things, even with the sound down. 1 - nationwide; 2 - themes on signs were fairly consistent, protesting corporate control of government and the resulting lack of jobs, income equality, etc.; 3 - protests entering fourth week. Sure, we can discuss whether or not these protests will have any lasting impact (I'm doubtful). But to say that most don't know why they are there is an admission that you don't think beyond a tabloid headline.

Personally I gave up on the potential for massive change in the US a long time ago. The people who need to change regulations are being paid by the regulated to NOT change. That's a broken system, and I doubt that any substantial change will ever occur. So I've stepped outside the system as much as possible, making my own way through the murk. And while I may not give the protesters much hope, I certainly understand their sentiment and support their efforts. It might be a massive, uphill struggle, but you gotta start somewhere...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #82 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I support the troops also.

All good?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I support the troops also.

All good?
But do you support them by wanting them all home and out of countries we shouldn't be in?

*sigh*

I know, I should just stop...
Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #84 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trashy View Post
But do you support them by wanting them all home and out of countries we shouldn't be in?

*sigh*

I know, I should just stop...
You're very political, I see. "Do you want the troops in the places they should be and not in the places they shouldn't be?"

"I believe we should be doing the right things with our money, not the wrong things."
Old 10-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
You're very political, I see. "Do you want the troops in the places they should be and not in the places they shouldn't be?"

"I believe we should be doing the right things with our money, not the wrong things."
Spoken like a true politician. Well played, sir!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leentron3030 View Post
The term 'rich' isn't what you think it is anymore. Doctors and scientists are not making $345 million a year that I know of. Otherwise I should have become a doctor instead of becoming a CPA.

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

"by 2007, the top 400 averaged $344.8 million per person, up 31% from an average of $263.3 million just one year earlier."

A 31% increase in one year's time, wow.
Ok. How about those people, who hire millions globally?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FletchLives View Post
Ok. How about those people, who hire millions globally?
Yeah, what happened to them? Unemployment is at very high levels. Oh, and forget that whole "9.1%" bullshit. If you use the numbers the government *used* to use, it's more like 23%.

Alternate Unemployment Charts
Old 10-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
I predict that the occupy Wall Street protests will be about as effective as this:
A++
Old 10-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #89 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

America is becoming more and more like Delta City in Robocop every day from where I sit.

Miguel Ferrier for President?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trashy View Post
Yeah, what happened to them? Unemployment is at very high levels. Oh, and forget that whole "9.1%" bullshit. If you use the numbers the government *used* to use, it's more like 23%.

Alternate Unemployment Charts
I don't understand your point, DJ. Unemployment is high, so the millions of jobs these corporations fill are nullified. Is that what you're saying?

Dean, I think it will be more like New York in Escape from New York. Except it will be the whole country being run by militant "security" officers.