Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: The unrealistic female model ads
It’s very wrong. 64 70.33%
It’s fine. It’s just pictures. 27 29.67%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1501: The One After 1500

"The superhero I wanted to be was Batman. Not because of the gadgets; I just wanted my fuckin' parents dead."

Mike Lawrence Comedy

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Mike Lawrence was world class hilarious and wildy entertaining in the guest seat for this episode.

I know for a fact this is true even though I haven't listened to it yet.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

While It's true that sex sells and there's nothing sexy about wrinkles or excess weight these ads don't represent the average woman. It might be interesting to see an ad campaign with zero airbrushing and average sized models.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Me and Kurt Metzger tomorrow at Stand Up NY! You can get tickets here Mike Lawrence & Kurt Metzger Co Headline - Buy Tickets at LaughStub.com

Use the promo code MLKM to save on tickets. Hope to see some of you there.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEIII View Post
While It's true that sex sells and there's nothing sexy about wrinkles or excess weight these ads don't represent the average woman. It might be interesting to see an ad campaign with zero airbrushing and average sized models.
With a ten year old daughter who has been concerned about her (completely normal) thighs since FUCKING PRESCHOOL, I agree. I mean wtf??
Old 12-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Regarding H&M's models being computer-generated, I don't understand why they don't just illustrate the models. Give artists some props, save the fees from models and photographers.

Also, I dunno about anyone else, but I am a man with body image issues. I'm always conscious of my weight and appearance. I know what I'm up against genetically and in terms of the American lifestyle, and it sucks that it's always on my mind. But I think that has more to do with school-age bullying from the "athletic" kids, rather than any photographs and the world of fashion or TV. Most of those kids are fat these days anyway, so fuck them — I win!

Last edited by scottperezfox; 12-07-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I think a dose of body image issues is good in an otherwise complacent society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEIII View Post
There are, you just don't hear about them. Guess why?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

another great Mike show and super awesome news that he's recorded an album.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
There are, you just don't hear about them. Guess why?
We are in a world where our life sucks so much we have to look to fantasy to escape. It is the heart of consumerism...spend to make youself happy. So why not have these gorgeous people you can pretend you look like? I mean, in my head, when I picture myself, I look like a mix of Kate Winslet and Drew Barrymore... which is SO not what the mirror reflects back.

Industries have to show us exaggerated forms of perfection so we feel inferior so we then buy their product to make us look like those models. The most we can do for our kids is to not complain about ourselves and praise things they do that aren't related to beauty or superficial materialism.

This is an article that has made the rounds about photoshopping...
ridiculous

I am a photographer and do not photoshop my clients. I have had brides ask me to thin their arms and lower their lips to cover up a gummy smile and remove 5-10 pounds. Rather than buy a dress that flatters them, they squeeze like a sausage into a strapless dress and expect me to photoshop out their backfat. It is, unfortunately, becoming more of a norm in my business, with some photographers naturally slimming their clients without even telling them because it will subconsiously make them feel better

I WILL photoshop out blemishes, I mean, they can't help getting a pimple on their wedding day and it is temporary. But I'd rather pose them and use good lighting to get a flattering image...not photoshop them into fantasy. Some guys don't even like their girls wearing makeup because it takes away their natural look.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mike has hands down the best fake barf sound ever.