Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Are you envious of Chris Iacono’s living situation?
Yes 22 18.03%
No 100 81.97%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

911 call

I have to say I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the 911 call that was played on this episode. I honestly don't think I've ever heard anything so devastatingly sad, especially when he kept saying he couldn't open his eyes. There really was no purpose to playing this, other than shock value, and I have to say I'm disappointed in the decision to play it. I might be able to understand playing it if a meaningful discussion ensued afterwards, but it did not. It might have been an interesting and meaningful segment on a What's my name show on suicide, but there was no purpose to playing it on this episode. It reminds me of Anderson Cooper showing a 2 year old taking his last breath in Syria on CNN the other night. I think broadcasters need to really think if shocking and sad clips are truly necessary to getting their point across, or are they just playing them for effect.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

If it's out there, we want our audience to know about it.

Why didn't you fast-forward?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
If it's out there, we want our audience to know about it.

Why didn't you fast-forward?
I really should have, but when you said you were going to play the 911 call, I was really expecting it to be by the person who discovered the body, and it wouldn't be as devastating.
This is honestly the first time I've heard anything on the show that I've thought was completely gratuitous and unnecessary, so I really don't want to take you to task to much, but it's a pretty lazy argument to say if it's out there, you want your audience to know about it, because there are plenty of things out there that you don't bother to inform your audience about if it doesn't help the flow of the show. I must just be hypersensitive to stuff like the 911 and the death of the child on CNN the other night, because there hasn't been the outcry I expected.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Some things we do are going to bother you. I don't know any way around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergusite View Post
I really don't get why Keith and Chemda got so bent out of shape about Myka mentioning Comical Radio. They are no competition to Keith & the Girl at all, so who cares if Myka mentions it. All Keith and Chemda managed to do yesterday was turn a very funny show into a sad one, that made them look like mean little unlikeable immature jerks.
I hope you have fun listening to our show, but I don't regret playing the clip, and I don't regret chastising Myka for being disrespectful. I'd do both over again the same way.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergusite View Post
I really should have, but when you said you were going to play the 911 call, I was really expecting it to be by the person who discovered the body, and it wouldn't be as devastating
So you didn't get anything out of hearing it even if it's just that you don't want to hear anything like it again? Playing things "just for effect" is a neutral statement you mean to be universally negative. For me, it was pretty interesting. And even if it wasn't, worth the Seinfeld theme joke. I shouldn't even say "worth" because that implies there's some kind of trade off. There isn't.

And no meaningful discussion followed? What did you want? They even addressed your particular concern. And then discussed it. Are you upset they didn't reach the same conclusion you did?

I knew someone who did this. At fifteen he tried to shoot himself in the face with a shotgun. He just wound up blowing the front of his face off and has worn one of those plastic masks forever after over his lack of face. I always wondered if he was sure enough he wanted to die before all that why he wasn't after. Hearing this didn't quite answer that, but not hearing it wasn't going to answer it either.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

the call was unpleasant but "devastating"?

Laura's story of rape was devastating. This was sad, sure, but if i was a show host i wouldve played it and made even worse jokes. Its a comedy podcast not an empathy one. Thats Chemda's show.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
the call was unpleasant but "devastating"?

Laura's story of rape was devastating. This was sad, sure, but if i was a show host i wouldve played it and made even worse jokes. Its a comedy podcast not an empathy one. Thats Chemda's show.
I guess that's where my problem is Junkenstein, I find a suicidal guy who just shot himself in the head and can't open his eyes devastating, not just unpleasant. I think as a society we have become so desensitized that it would be deemed merely unpleasant. I'm obviously in the minority though, so I guess I'm just going to have to learn to live with CNN broadcasting 2 year olds dying before your very eyes in Syria, and KATG playing 911 calls from botched suicides.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

And us playing a song where a woman beater is singing along with his recent victim, among other things.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #29 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

i figure people got more sensitive, these days.
everyone should dig back the classic episodes where people with MS were called assholes, and chinese were deemed as the worst people in the world. or middle east was supposed to be nuked and turned into a sopa hickey playground.

how quickly people forget.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

KatG: Not Rated G

I had an unlce who shot himself years ago. Dumb-fuck that he is, he shot himself under his chin and it somehow went out his cheek. He now has a big gross beard over his big gross scar. Talking about suicide is important. Especially for those who are considering it. Think about this depressed people: what if you live through it and are incapicitated in some way? That would suck worse than this shitty existence, no?