Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: The atheists' billboards are
a good thing. 81 86.17%
a bad thing. 13 13.83%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica332 View Post
The Atheists' billboards are not good or bad. They are why we are America. They express our freedom of religion or not to believe in religion at all. Who is to say what is right or wrong.
You let people run godless, and next thing you know they'll want to worship their couch!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I voted the billboards are bad. Loopy religious people proselytize, sane secularists do not. Atheists do not go door to door, or condemn people for their beliefs, no matter how obviously delusional they are. We lead by the example of tolerance and sanity. We do not adopt religious tactics, because we know how it feels to be on the receiving end of them.

I'm atheist, and have been for my entire life. I was raised catholic and attended church every Sunday that I lived in my parents' house. We all get along because I am tolerant and respectful of their beliefs, as they are of mine as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerchin View Post
I voted the billboards are bad. Loopy religious people proselytize, sane secularists do not. Atheists do not go door to door, or condemn people for their beliefs, no matter how obviously delusional they are. We lead by the example of tolerance and sanity. We do not adopt religious tactics, because we know how it feels to be on the receiving end of them.

I'm atheist, and have been for my entire life. I was raised catholic and attended church every Sunday that I lived in my parents' house. We all get along because I am tolerant and respectful of their beliefs, as they are of mine as well.
Your parents might have been tolerant, but having you go to church means they weren't respectful. Are you fine with living your life knowing other people are just tolerating you?

People who are religious just for the sense of community need to be aware that there is a community of Atheists as well that they can go to in case those ideas resonate with them more than religious beliefs.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Our Lady of Perpetual Basement?
LOL (not sarcastic, very funny!)

Quote:
Read Bruce Feiler's books, especially...
People might need to have some information and knowledge but deciding exactly what someone has to have read or be an expert on before they can make an argument is a fallacy of authority (I know pointing out these types of fallacies gets the nerd/loser voice around here but so be it).

My point is someone doesn't need to have read those in order find a logical flaw in a certain religion's account. To give one example, you don't need to have read those to understand Dawkin's argument against Noah's ark.

The same can be expanded about the very question of god. You have to defend why the 4 books you have read are the specific and necessary conditions to answering the god question. And why a religious person can't similarly claim that, "only people who "truly" understand the bible can answer the question of god, and truly understanding the bible means you have a complete and blind faith in god."
Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

The Billboards in Ontario a few years ago read "there probably is no God, so you can stop worrying and get on with your life".

Honestly, if I had seen those as a teenager it would have saved me a lot of wasted time. I think most Christian raised Atheists had the same feelings I did between ages 13-23ish. I had a lot of doubt, and didn't understand how any of the bible stories could have actually happened. But I was told that good people go to church on Sundays and expressing my doubts outloud would be shocking. I mean, my parents were Christians.... and your parents are always right..... right?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

I was dying laughing at Keith playing the ugandan child and the activist so funny!!!!