Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: the "SLAVES, OBEY YOUR MASTERS" billboard
Thumbs up 53 50.96%
Thumbs down 51 49.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyReference View Post
Now that I can see the actual billboard in show pics I think its even less offensive then I imagined. I don't remember you mentioning it on the show but I think it's the tag line "This lesson in Bronze Age ethics..." that really clarifies the message.

I agree, but to most people I think that might as well be in binary.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I am in no way advocating or supporting the whole hoodie excuse in the Trayvon Martin case. But I am interested in Keith’s shift of opinion on hoodies. What happened to “show your face?”
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #33 (permalink)

"Do not read Paul's instructions to Roman slaves as though their status and experience were the same as those of antebellum American slaves. While they share the general similarity that all slaves are mastered by their owner, to link these two slave institutions without regard for their vast dissimilarities will lead to distorted interpretation (see my introduction to Philemon; "Slavery in the First Century").

Scholars are sometimes puzzled that Paul devotes so much of the Colossian code to slaves. Two different times, surrounded by five different reasons, Paul exhorts slaves to obey their masters. Why this emphasis? Two general solutions to this exegetical puzzle are often advanced. One is that Paul is responding here to the social world of the Colossians. Commentators who prefer this option suppose that Paul is responding to a congregation made up of slaves and slave owners, both of whom have been shaped by a society that promotes slavery in order to maintain Rome's economic and military viability. Another explanation is that Paul emphasizes the slave-master motif in this letter to illustrate his core ethical proposal to "set your minds on things above, not on earthly things" (3:2). In this second explanation, Christian slaves are viewed as representatives of God's people; they represent every believer's vocation, which is to serve God."

Colossians 3 Commentary - Virtue Illustrated by the Christian Family - BibleGateway.com

It's not accurate to say that Paul (or the Bible) is endorsing slavery, b/c he isn't.

I'm all for atheist groups and their signs, but if they want to be productive they should at least try to understand what they are criticizing.

This specific sign, as has been stated before, is just trolling.

Last edited by XrabbitX; 04-02-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #34 (permalink)

When I was a teenager and lived right by railroad tracks we would just jump on the train, get between cars and jump off on the other side rather than wait for the train to pass so... people are idiots.

Also since no one else said it, I fucking adore when Ben's on the show.