Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you understand patriotism?
Yes 82 58.57%
No 58 41.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Definition of PATRIOTISM: love for or devotion to one's country

Love and devotions is fine, what bothers me is the possessive "one's"; at that point you willfully segregate your country from any other, inevitably putting it above others. What's the point or need for this? It only subconsciously paves the way to be prejudiced towards other countries, as they might be a threat to your stance.

If you only know one country or culture, then fine love or be devoted to just that one but be mindful what identifying with it may do to your judgement of others.
I'd say, uphold your own individual values but do so independently of the culture you got them from. Which, wouldn't that actually be the most American thing to do, anyway? ;-)

Also, patriotism is a loaded term: etymology of patriotism
"loyal and disinterested supporter of one's country" – I am much more for critically interested supporters than blind ones, no?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Reality is all countries, cities, cultures, people, religions etc. have positives and negatives.
People view the world subjectively though and their reality is skewed so for example Danny thinks he's the worst but really he's not. We can see it...he can't.
Patriotism messes shit up because people in their minds augment all the good things about their country and diminish/ignore all the negatives and so the picture which for them is reality is not really real and they argue like crazy that they are right because its what they see. Education is the only way you fix it. I'd be surprised if if Keith Malley isn't less patriotic having visited Israel, Canada and the UK because he's learned from those trips. He makes fun of other countries cause its hilarious and I for one am laughing.

Good to hear McNally on the show again btw
Old 07-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Christ, Danny, you've been around and on this show for how long? Nobody ever asks "can I say something?" Just say something. You know Keith wouldn't even let you within background laughing distance of a microphone if you were a problem.

And of course a reference is not a joke, but Chemda loves Family Guy and that's all that show is. So it isn't just Danny.

Last edited by starscream; 07-17-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm a proud American, I love this country, and I don't think I'd ever move away from here (unless it was to retire to a tropical island, I mean, c'mon).

That said, I'd love to visit NYC but I know there's no way I'd want to live there. I don't know anybody who would; I don't think I've ever talked to a fellow American that puts New York on the top of their list of places to live - except people who already live there.

New York City is not America. Neither is L.A. Neither is CNBC, CNN, or ESPN, but that's what the rest of the world sees. America is a hell of a lot more than all this stuff. America is not what the rest of the world sees or thinks of us.

Your frustrations (McNally) are totally valid, IMO. They're our frustrations too. Why does every damn thing have to be such a big deal? Wish I knew. Everybody has a voice, even stupid people. I'm still not moving.

Canada? Yeah it's cool I guess. From what I've heard.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I was at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver and watched Canadians turn into ugly Americans every time they won another gold medal. I guess it's just what happens when you're the best.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I think McNally has the right idea with the comparison to religion.

There is no logical way to discuss with most religious people about their amazing super duper #1 faith and there is no logical way to talk with most Americans about their amazing super duper #1 country so I just choose to believe that it is weird and slightly amusing and ignore it.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

I agree with McNally. We need to kill America.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Haha! Let's do it.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

McNally must have been looking at an earlier year's EIU report. This year's report has different listings than he quoted, and New York is number 16. Toronto slipped from 4 to 8, and there are no Canadian cities in the top four cities:

Quote:
Paris took over fourth-place from Toronto for this report. And Hong Kong, Amsterdam and Osaka came in first, second and third, respectively. The next North American city to make the list after Toronto was Washington in 14th place, followed by Chicago in 15th place, New York in 16th place and Los Angeles in 17th place.
Toronto slips on Economist's livable cities list | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun
Old 07-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

This is the list I was referring to:

World's most livable cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I think that other list still makes my point pretty clearly.