Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should Chemda watch Game of Thrones?
Yes 47 47.96%
No 51 52.04%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree36Likes

Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizsquiz View Post
Myq would be great on Smarter than a 5th Grader. If the audition process for that is anything like it is in Australia, he's got it in the bag.
Sold! I'll do it! Someone get me on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
Until this ep, I thought that Myq's parents were arsehole wankers for naming their kid such a stupid variation on "Mike".

Well slap my arse and call me Sally. Myq's the wanker!!

Which must make me a wanker too, because he's a funny fucker.

If he gets tired of "Myq", maybe he could get latta to draw him a custom cock, and pull a Prince 2.0 by naming himself that.
Appreciated!
And sorry you were tricked for so long... I am indeed the wanker. Or at least past me is/was. Now I'm a victim of his wankerhood just as much as you are. Maybe more!

But thanks for the kind words!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #32 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Myq leads a terribly interesting life. He is familiar with the polyamorous life-style. Why oh fucking why is that not his focus? Why is that not his thing? His banner? It's so original. It's a theme that is soon to be embraced by popular culture. It's new. It's fresh. It's sexy. It is sex. It's life.
PS Thanks for this assessment, by the way! My new album that is coming out in a month ("Meat Robot") will have a few tracks on the subject.

Quote:
I like Myq. He's a terrific guest and very funny. Him being on Conan is huge and it is well-deserved.

I stand by 'killing Hitler' as a completely fucked out premise. I'm tired of hearing it and will not budge on such Dane Cook-ery. Sorry.
PPS You don't have to apologize.
A couple things though...
1) the reason Dane Cook is disliked by some is not because he does "hacky" premises.
2) disliking Dane Cook is actually one of the hackier things you can do. it's been done.
3) on the subject of judging a concept as "completely fucked out" (and kudos on a completely new phrase to illustrate that concept): no matter how "hacky" a premise is, there are ways to do new things with them. "airplane humor" has been "hack" for years, but recent specials by louis ck and patton oswalt have used it brilliantly. i'm not saying that i'm them by any means, but i am someone who also cares about not just rehashing what has come before... maybe my hitler time travel joke is ABOUT how completely fucked-out hitler time travel jokes are. maybe it's exactly what you feel. (of course, i can't use "fucked out" on TV, so it will be slightly different.) the point is, broad generalizations like you've made are bound to have exceptions. i'm not guaranteeing you'll love the joke. i don't know the future. but i do know the past (having traveled from there), and a lot of people have enjoyed the joke, including many people who might have shared your views before hearing the actual joke.

anyway, hope you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
Gay incest is the best incest.

LMFAO.
PPPS Sorry I missed saying thanks for this. Thanks for this!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #33 (permalink)

I don't like Dane Cook because his entire persona screams "fratboy dudebro" to me and that instantly turns me off.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #34 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I voted "yes" on the pole. Mostly because I don't think Chemda gave the show a chance by quitting at the beheading. She very well might be right she won't like the show. There is usually one or two very short violent scenes per episode. The reason I think it deserves a longer watch is because the vast majority of the show isn't violence. Its mostly about the characters and their relationships to a degree most shows don't seem to get. Maybe the few violent scenes are too much. The way HBO operates is to try to put a violent scene in the beginning to hook the people who are into that stuff and then suck them into a show that is actually about dialog and social hierarchies with only a very small amount of violence and dragons.

Now, they do play up the violent scenes for the 2 mins an episode they have violence to keep the fans of violence hooked.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #35 (permalink)

Chemda isn't into violent stuff; she will not like this show. I guarantee it (not even for all the boobies and snatch). And that's okay. Not everyone likes everything.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Chemda isn't into violent stuff; she will not like this show. I guarantee it (not even for all the boobies and snatch). And that's okay. Not everyone likes everything.
Hmmm, I don't know...my girlfriend doens't like violent stuff either, but loves Game of Thrones. This means that during every violent scene she looks away and I give a brief, vague explanation of what's happening on the screen.

/Edit Of course, my girlfriend also loves fantasy/sci-fi, but...I don't know, I think it's worth it to give shows that people love, that I'm suspicious of, one or two episodes to win me over before walking away. True Blood's pilot is terrible, but the second episode and the rest of that first season was pretty cool. It's sucked since than, but that's neither here nor there.

Last edited by jpj1421; 05-08-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #37 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myq View Post
there are ways to do new things with them.
!
Nice. I look forward to hearing it on Conan. In fact, I should have simply said 'Oh I've heard Joe Rogan and Ari Shaffir get stoned and riff on this idea 10 or 12 times on The Joe Rogan Experience, it will be interesting to hear Myq's take on it.

Personally, I just tire of Hitler but in all reality everything surrounding him was so monumental it will forever be relevant...I suppose.

Here's the thing, (and I say this in all seriousness) why WWll? Why doesn't anyone ever refer to 911? It's...distracting. There are SO many problems in this world, but we act as if the only ones of relevance are in our distant history. People want to compare Bush and even Obama to the fascism of Nazi Germany, but one of the most immediate problems facing America right now, today, fall into two sides: corporations and Muslim fanatics. No ones talking about how to fix jobs, (regulate outsourcing) and stop terror attacks by realizing that the Muslim faith dictates it's followers kill, (as interpreted by the Book of Swords in the Koran) and is totally different than say Judiasm or Christianity. It's like Bill Maher is always saying, "I'm an atheist and I don't like religions like Christianity, but at least these people don't kill others.'

I could go on and on and I won't bore you. It's just a topic I'm passionate about. It really almost has nothing to do with you or your comedy. Also, I'm a comedy nerd. I literally listen to comedy podcasts, comedy albums, old Johnny Carson episodes with comedians: I go out of my way to hear material. I'm saturated. The general public is not. A funny joke is funny: period.

I do wonder what stand up comedy will look like 10 years from now when every asshole comedy fan resembles me. Bitter. Never did comedy. Always wanted to. Didn't have the balls. Dying a slow death in the middle of nowhere. Always drunk and ranting to no audience on an online forum...

Good luck with your Conan performance. That is super big time and it's cool to think 'Oh I remember first hearing them on KatG - now they're all famous.' Cheers.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
I don't like Dane Cook because his entire persona screams "fratboy dudebro" to me and that instantly turns me off.
Yes. However he does have that empty inside - need to fill the daddy hole, narcissistic, driving need for attention that is almost a prerequisite for comedy.

It's just unfortunate that it does not always dictate 'good' comedy.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #39 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpj1421 View Post
Hmmm, I don't know...my girlfriend doens't like violent stuff either, but loves Game of Thrones. This means that during every violent scene she looks away and I give a brief, vague explanation of what's happening on the screen.
Thats the only reason I suggest giving it more of a chance. I have pretty much the same story with my mom. I pass my parents season of shows I watch when I visit them. She's the same way, closes her eyes to any violence on tv. They told me that she was turned off by the beheading part but my dad watched through the whole episode and she ended up getting hooked by the story.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Here's the thing, (and I say this in all seriousness) why WWll? Why doesn't anyone ever refer to 911?

... stop terror attacks by realizing that the Muslim faith dictates its followers kill, (as interpreted by the Book of Swords in the Koran) and is totally different than say Judiasm or Christianity.

Good luck with your Conan performance.
Thanks! Sincerely.

With regard to your question about why go back and stop Hitler instead of 9/11, in pure utilitarian terms, 3,000 people died in 2001, and millions and millions of people were imprisoned, tortured, and systematically slaughtered in the Holocaust. It is objectively more horrible, not because of how long ago it was, but because the scale is massively greater.

With regard to what Islam says its followers should do... there are plenty of passages in the Christian and Jewish books that can be (and have been) used to justify pretty horrific things as well. Slavery, stonings, other puttings-to-death for stuff that most reasonable people today agree shouldn't happen... just like most Muslims don't go around murdering everyone. The percentage that do is minuscule... of the 7ish billion people in the world, about one quarter of them are Muslim. And the vast majority of them are not embarking upon any jihads.

Quote:
Yes. However he does have that empty inside - need to fill the daddy hole, narcissistic, driving need for attention that is almost a prerequisite for comedy.

It's just unfortunate that it does not always dictate 'good' comedy.
Last thing for now, about Dane Cook... I'm not telling anyone they need to enjoy him if they don't (same for Game of Thrones... though I would say Chemda should give it a shot, and close her eyes for the violence, because it is a real cool story with real cool characters), but his act has changed a lot over the years, so even if you didn't like him before, you might now if you gave him another shot. And if you didn't and still don't, I'm actually not even sure why he's relevant to this thread... I'm a big fan of focusing on the positive, bringing up things that one DOES like, and avoiding negativity whenever possible, especially when the negativity is wholly irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

And the discussion is about how Muslims are fine. And something about Hitler maybe.