Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 12-09-2005, 09:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Who the hell claps at a movie? No movie is that good . I agree with Keith, FAG!! Titanic!? Double FAG!!!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Computers and viruses!

Keith, get a Mac!

I have both windows and macs and the macs are MUCH easier to keep running properly. With the state of spyware, viruses, and all the other crap on windows you need to be a computer geek to be able to keep your system secure. If you are not a computer geek then you should shift to the Mac.

The are not really more expensive that PCs anymore, just don't think that you need to have the same MHZ speed on a mac that you would have on a PC. Also, now since they are based on the Linux operating system there is PLENTY of software available and a LOT of it is free.

You can get a mac mini for 499.00. If you already have a VGA monitor and a USB keyboard and mouse you are all set. However, I would probably reccomend something more like the iMac which starts at $1,299 and includes everything.

I have had my powerbook for almost two years now, and it just plain *works*. I do a lot of complicated crap on it and it has only frozen up on me maybe six or seven times in nearly two years.

Here is a good article by Walt Mossberg from the Wall Street Journal:

A New Gold Standard for PCs
"To put it simply: No desktop offered by Dell or Hewlett-Packard or Sony or Gateway can match the new iMac G5's combination of power, elegance, simplicity, ease of use, built-in software, stability and security."

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20051130.html
Old 12-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinius@yahoo.com
Also, now since they are based on the Linux operating system there is PLENTY of software available and a LOT of it is free.

You can get a mac mini for 499.00. If you already have a VGA monitor and a USB keyboard and mouse you are all set. However, I would probably reccomend something more like the iMac which starts at $1,299 and includes everything.
\

I believe they are based on UNIX, and Linux is also based on UNix, but MACs are NOT based on Linux. Can you point me to a website that list Free MAC software.

the iMac is the low end of their computers, with a good amount of horsepower, and a fine machine. I just think it is a laptop on a stand. Same problems with the older macitosh. Your screen goes bad, the whole computer can not be used. You can not plug in a new monitor.

I will own a new mac in my life time, but I will wait for the MAC/Intel ones to come out.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
.. I have both windows and macs and the macs are MUCH easier to keep running properly. With the state of spyware, viruses, and all the other crap on windows you need to be a computer geek to be able to keep your system secure. ...
It is one of the biggest crocks of horseshit on the planet to imply, as Mac zealots always do, that Macs are immune from viruses.

Idiots who create viruses want to inflict maximum damage. Therefore, they write for PC's, because there are so many more out there. PC's are the biggest target. If Macs were predominant, they would be plagued by viruses.

It is absurd to say that no one can write a virus for a Mac. Try Googling "apple virus".

That being said, Macs are, in my book, a more elegant machine. The Windows operating system is inferior.

I'm hoping my T-shirt gets here next week.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintman
It is one of the biggest crocks of horseshit on the planet to imply, as Mac zealots always do, that Macs are immune from viruses.
LOL, I wasn't trying to say they were immune, I was just saying I have never had to deal with one, nor have I heard of any one I know with a mac having one.

When you only have 4% (or something like that) of the destop computer market share there isn't a whole lot of a reason for malicious people to write code to take advantage of your computer.

Ciao,
Sin
Old 12-09-2005, 01:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG
\
the iMac is the low end of their computers, with a good amount of horsepower, and a fine machine. I just think it is a laptop on a stand. Same problems with the older macitosh. Your screen goes bad, the whole computer can not be used. You can not plug in a new monitor.
Actually the mac mini is the lowest, it's basically a laptop with no screen.

You could look at the imac as a laptop on a stand, however they now have the G5 processor like the highest end macs. (well I think the high end ones have dual core and dual dual core processors now)

However, the imac has a full complement of ports so if the monitor does go down you can still use it with an external monitor.

"Two FireWire 400 ports; three USB 2.0 ports, two USB 1.1 ports (on keyboard); VGA output(2); S-video and composite video output(2)"

In my *personal* experience the apple computers I have used are more reliable than the PCs I have used, however there is the obvious liimitation of most of the hardware being proprietary to Apple.

But, i still stand by my original point that for normal users (probably none of whom are reading this forum) the mac is a good choice.

Ciao,
Sin
Old 12-09-2005, 01:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
LOL, I wasn't trying to say they were immune, I was just saying I have never had to deal with one, nor have I heard of any one I know with a mac having one.

When you only have 4% (or something like that) of the destop computer market share there isn't a whole lot of a reason for malicious people to write code to take advantage of your computer.
Cool. I wasn't trying to flame anyone, if that's how I came across.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

:)

No worries!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

If I switch, then they win.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

batter up!

Everyone knows you are already a switch hitter Keith!

Ciao,
Sin