Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Was Chemda showing the attributes related to that of a bitch?
Yes 43 32.09%
No 91 67.91%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree59Likes

Old 11-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

You don't have to pay anything in Candy Crush. My family (except me) is obsessed with the game and they don't spend any money on apps, period.

I was hesitant about buying items in games before, but I've done it once after thinking about how I'm not spending money on XBOX and PS and Nintendo games, which usually cost a lot more.

I agree that it's a douchebag move to make people pay or wait, but it's also a business model that seems to work for them.

Love Ophira.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

those damm apps

I learned my lesson with those stupid Facebook games. The mafia game, the vampire game, that farm game, and that restaurant game. You had to keep checking back, you had to keep asking for help from"friends", and yes, if you sent them money the game got easier. It began to feel more and more like a smack habit but I quit before I had to start servicing strangers in the bus station.

BTW, do you think Keith's stroke will come in small increments or all at once?
Keith likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Women watching Football

Seahawks fan from Seattle here. I watch football every weekend with girls who know as much about the sport as Keith does (which isn't as much as he thinks he does).

A new girl joined our circle of friends a couple of years ago. She'd not been a football fan previous to meeting us. The first season, she'd show up to viewing get togethers just for the social time. Last season, I started noticing her paying attention to the game. Before this season started, she actually pulled me aside and admitted that she didn't understand the game, but wanted to. She was actually embarrassed, and figured I was the only guy who wouldn't make fun of her...

I then spent the next two hours going over everything I could without having a game on, and have spent this season explaining the nuances in real time while watching. Now she hates me because the game stresses her out and she's emotionally invested . What I'm saying here is that simply going out of your way to teach to an interested girl is a cool thing to do, guys. They make great fans (and will take you to games).

Chemda, I could watch two games with you and have your understanding of the game on par with Keith by the time we were done. One Sunday.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
Why are shitting on Keith's knowledge of football?
Because he's shitting on girls' knowledge of football in general, but frequently displays a lack of understanding himself which would be obvious to any KATG listeners with a high football IQ.

Like I said, I watch football with a handful of girls who understand the sport at least as well as Keith. Also, he's a fucking Steelers fan for some reason, lol.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #25 (permalink)

Freemium games are built around targeting weak parts in the minds of the people playing the game.

They use many, many, many, MANY terrible tactics to hook people into the game, lead them to the goal, show what you COULD get and then make you pay for it.

It doesn't work for everyone, of course. Some people have control and patience, or are extremely talented at knowing how to really get through the game. Brian - you are in the minority with CC. If you weren't, then it wouldn't be in the top grossing apps.

Basically, F2P/Freemium games are designed to hook whales. There are not many whales, but when a younger person (generally under the age of 25) plays these games, Puzzles and dragons is a very disgusting example of these "hooks" and "gates", they get addicted to playing and don't want to stop, they want to top the scores of their friends, they get to the end of a level and are a fraction away from passing, or they get to the end of a dungeon and can choose to pay using a fake currency that you pay real money for and then you get to keep the awesome rewards. You CAN choose not to pay, but you get basic, bland crap otherwise.

People whine and complain that they want free games, load these games up and far too often pay massive amounts of money to get further in the game. I've done it , not to anything more than a few dollars, but I saw how it "got" me, and I could have easily dropped far more.

For anyone interested, there's a brilliant article that discusses how developers leverage our weaknesses to make them tons of money:

The Top F2P Monetization Tricks

To put it simply, F2P is like gambling. However unlike gambling, the electronic rewards have no tangible benefit AND there is absolutely no regulation on it. These tactics are getting more and more egregious, and potentially amazing games are completely ruined because of these terrible tactics.

Chemda, you were right in that you can delete it, and a lot of people do. But like gambling, drinking and drug addicts, this scratches that same "itch" and while 9/10 people you know don't pay a penny, that 1 person could have spent thousands on even one of these games. They try and justify these huge expenses by saying "I spend so much time on the game, I'm totally getting my money's worth!" But they aren't. The games put these walls up, and in order to have bigger and better things, in order to best more people you have to endlessly pour money into these games. There are exceptions, but the alternative is too easy and too detrimental to gaming as a whole.

Die in Halo or CoD and don't want to start over? No problem! $1 and you'll be back up and going right where you were with full health.

Read the article and you'll see how dangerous this all is.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #26 (permalink)

I'm on level 425 of Candy Crush. Keith, you just need to connect your Candy Crush account to your Facebook account, and your addicted friends will send you virtual keys to unlock your next levels, and free moves to help you with the more difficult levels. Apologize to Candy Crush at once!
Old 11-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I know I am in the minority.

I also have around 70 friends playing it.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Plants VS Zombies 2 is some BULL shit. You gotta pay like $2.99 per game piece and there's like 30 pieces!

The game is FREE of course...

A future poll should be: Does Chemda's Understanding of Capitalism Provide Keith With A Means To Pay His Bills? That or is Chemda a Jew? Whichever works
Actually, PvZ 2 has not been as destroyed as most F2P games, as it was handled by popcap. Yes, you can buy non consumable plants, there aren't 30 - please don't exaggerate, and none are needed. If you decide you liked the plants from the first game, you can buy a few to have in the game. You could buy most of the "best" ones and still be around $10-12, which is easily what the game is worth.

Now I don't like the buying of coins or stars, but those are for the impatient, and it's unlikely EA would have allowed it. But thankfully popcap stood up to a degree, and there is zero need to spend anything, which is highly uncommon in a F2P game.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
I know I am in the minority.

I also have around 70 friends playing it.
And there are thousands upon thousands who sink tons of money into the game. If they didn't - it wouldn't be #1 on the top grossing charts. As well, it's one example out of many. Read up on the horror stories about Puzzles and Dragons or Clash of Clans. Then there are those who are proud they drop hundreds on the games.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #30 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
Because Keith's shitting on girls' knowledge of football in general, but frequently displays a lack of understanding himself...
But I'm not picking on women's knowledge of football, you bitch!

Is everyone fucking with me this week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMacFarlane View Post
I'm on level 425 of Candy Crush.
Neither here nor there, I don't trust ANY game that has 425 levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Basically, F2P/Freemium games are designed to hook whales. There are not many whales, but when a younger person (generally under the age of 25) plays these games, Puzzles and dragons is a very disgusting example of these "hooks" and "gates", they get addicted to playing and don't want to stop, they want to top the scores of their friends, they get to the end of a level and are a fraction away from passing, or they get to the end of a dungeon and can choose to pay using a fake currency that you pay real money for and then you get to keep the awesome rewards. You CAN choose not to pay, but you get basic, bland crap otherwise.
Your whole post was dead on, and, ironically, I'll ONLY pay for games. No one told me we were no longer supposed to give a fuck if someone's being taken advantage of. When Sylvia Browne died, I said, "Good. Rot in Hell." I didn't think, "Well, she's smart, and she duped people out of their money. Let the buyer beware. More power to her."

But then I'm a great person, so wha ya gonna do...

Go Steelers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
Also, Keith's a fucking Steelers fan for some reason, lol.
Those horrible Steelers and their 6 Super Bowl wins...

This world's insane.