Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is our food unsafe because of chemicals?
Yes. If these chemicals were safe companies would list them on the package. 27 40.30%
No. Everything is a chemical as it is. 40 59.70%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree110Likes

Old 07-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #71 (permalink)

Labelling

Also, I don't understand why non-GMO food come up with a Non-GMO label similar to the organic label. I mean, we'll be able to tell because of the cost associated with either pesticides or organic farming, but still: why does the onus of labeling have to be on the GMO foods?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #72 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Right! It's only MODIFIED food. They told you it's a FOOD PRODUCT. Why do I need to be told what that means? Just do your research, people.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Canines View Post
If GMO's are the scientific achievement their defenders claim to be; why do they not proclaim it? Why are GMO's so secretive? It seems their only proponents are the Big Ag lobbyists in Washington. Companies like Monsanto,(who are on the forefront) have a horrible public track record.

You cannot claim that companies cannot 'afford' educating the public. The Food Industry spends literal billions on advertising. Are you suggesting that billion dollar corporations don't understand public relations?

Transparency in what we buy is an absolute necessity. It's what distinguishes us from lesser countries. The notion that American citizens are not capable of understanding vital, life-altering information like, "What's in the fucking box" is an argument I find infuriating, insulting, and just plain un-American.
I don't know why you think information about GMO's is so secretive. Just because it's not spelled out on every box you buy, doesn't mean it can't be quickly and easily googled just like any other piece of information under the sun.

The reason why food companies don't spend more on education is probably the same reason why vaccine manufacturers don't spend more on education.

As for Americans being incapable of understanding important information... have you talked to these Americans lately? You can lead a horse to water, etc.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #74 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

That's what I said! Just take out your phone and google each item before you buy, and if anything confuses you, google further.

Buyer beware. It's in the constitution, people!
J. Canines likes this.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezna View Post
Regular farmers love their crops because they don't get eaten by bugs.
Do pesticides that are put into and onto plants inevitably end up in the consumers body?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotparker View Post
The reason why food companies don't spend more on education is probably the same reason why vaccine manufacturers don't spend more on education.
Your first sentence is telling me you missed my point about informing consumers. It also reiterates your notion that it's all some sort of conspiracy theory. This completely ignores well known, (and very real) problems with genetically modified crops into producing Terminator Seeds. Seeds that are great for business, but completely fuck the farmer.

This in turn fucks the consumer because, you know, FOOD.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #77 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Global warming. Thoughts?

I'll just lay this right here...

- Why Global Warming Is A Myth: [middlefinger.jpg] -
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Canines View Post
Your first sentence is telling me you missed my point about informing consumers. It also reiterates your notion that it's all some sort of conspiracy theory. This completely ignores well known, (and very real) problems with genetically modified crops into producing Terminator Seeds. Seeds that are great for business, but completely fuck the farmer.

This in turn fucks the consumer because, you know, FOOD.
Er, are we reading the same posts? I really can't fathom where you got "your notion that it's all some sort of conspiracy theory." Also, your fears about GURTs may be a little premature since you can't buy them commercially.

Although while we're on the subject: https://theconversation.com/terminat...ment-day-21686
Old 07-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That's what I said! Just take out your phone and google each item before you buy, and if anything confuses you, google further.

Buyer beware. It's in the constitution, people!
That's all I'm sayin'! And if you don't have a smartphone, carry around a giant binder with all the info you need inside! And if the binder gets too heavy, keep it in a rolling suitcase!
Keith and J. Canines like this.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotparker View Post
Er, are we reading the same posts? I really can't fathom where you got "your notion that it's all some sort of conspiracy theory."
Don't be coy. When you compared labeling GMOs to labeling vaccines; you implied some sort of public hysteria/ conspiracy theory.

Let me say this though. Both you and Jezna, (possibly even contrarian/ Michael?) made some interesting points. Sometimes denying science and new technology simply because of religious or political prejudice - comes at a cost.

I often think of Nigeria and the re-emergence of polio there.

See. Here in America we basically eradicated polio decades ago. The World Health Organization tried to administer polio vaccines in Nigeria. Soon a rumor began to spread. It was perceived as a plot to somehow harm the populace. Soon the number of polio casualties spiked. Public hysteria and conspiracy theory pervaded.

I gotta be honest. I'm not a scientist. I only know of the horrors of GMO crops. Canadian farmers being sued over 'patented seed crops' as well as farmers in India dying in protest; just to name a few.

If there is a validity to GMOs being the answer to improved farming techniques and ending worldwide hunger; we've yet to see it. Better yet, HEAR about it.

My original argument stands. IF genetically modified crops are the answer it should be sold as such. These corporations can afford a campaign to end consumer misconceptions. Until then all us regular non-scientist people waiting in line to buy stuff are going to continue reading the negative headlines.
Keith likes this.