Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Depressed people only: Will you allow Keith to save you from your depression?
Yes, I am ready to grow up 4 7.69%
No, waaah! 14 26.92%
I don’t suffer from major depression 34 65.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree66Likes

Old 08-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

2034: The Great Depression

With Steve Forrest – Long-distance relationships; thinking someone is breaking into your home; Ron Goldman’s mom auctions off $24.7 million; paying your restaurant check on your phone; fixing your major depression; Paris Hilton makes $2.7 million in 4 days; Jerry Jones defends his salacious pictures

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

To anyone suffering, depression is a disease and you are sick, something is wrong with you, but nothing about you is wrong.

It is okay to admit how you are feeling. Normal people get sick all the time and this is no exception to that rule. Just because for a long time society did not consider it a disease doesn't make it special.

If you are feeling suicidal, or if you just want someone to talk to, call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255

Find help from professionals, and people who have suffered like you.

----

See Also: Hi, My Name Is Depression!

"I hesitate to call sadness a friend, the dude will not stop dressing like me. And on one hand, people get us confused sometimes and I'm like nu-uh, no, I could crush him. But on the other, that people confuse us just allows me to keep doing my thing."

Cancer and Depression are different diseases in the way that the symptoms of Depression are commonly mistaken to be the disease itself. Everybody knows cancer's cause are cell groups that don't die off (tumors), but the symptoms can include organ failures or fatigue or malnutrition or whatever, but organ failure and fatigue don't directly lead to more cancer.

I'd wager the common public assumes depression is its symptoms (being 'sad' or feeling lethargic/fatigued) but the disease is actually the physical chemical imbalances and the invasive/corrupted thought patterns that come with them.

In my experience, the problem with depression is that those symptoms form a feedback loop to re-enforce the physical and mental disease. It's different than cancer because a cancer patient can probably still form a rational plan for finding treatment. Decision making is one of the faculties that depression corrupts, so many depressed people might not decide going for help is worth the effort.

It is easier than typical for those suffering from depression to get stuck in a loop of "I feel like a failure" because -> "I'm not happy like everyone else / I'm too tired to get out of bed / I can't find the energy/motivation to fulfill my responsibilities" -> so "I feel like a failure" (my feelings like of being a failure are confirmed) -> why should I go get help, see I'm already a failure I can't even get out of bed -> repeat, and this is why people start to believe they deserve to feel this way.

Maybe it started at some rational trigger like losing a relationship with a loved one, but each time they find themselves starting the cycle over again, it gets easier to apply this same thought pattern to things like:

"I tried to make a new friend but it didn't work out, I bet they hate me for the same reason XXX left me"
or
"I showed up late for work because I was too sad from the breakup to get out of bed, I wouldn't be surprised if they replace me soon, I just shouldn't bother going today"
or
"That guy laughed over there, he's probably making fun of desperate I am to be accepted, I just shouldn't go out in public if everybody is just going to make fun of me"
until they find themselves at
"Everyone I know sees me as a burden, it'd be better for them if I didn't get in their way"
or
"Life is never enjoyable and I'd rather die than put up with this"

Telling these people once or twice that this isn't the case doesn't change things, though. Most of the people I've seen told they don't need to feel this way if they don't want invariably they come back to "Yes I do". Several people who I've told that I'd be there for them if they needed me said things along the lines of "you shouldn't, I don't want to drag you down" or "I don't deserve that, I can't offer you anything"

It takes constant reassurance and support from people in one's life (or something that forces you to want to change) to be louder than the voices/feelings which people mistake as 'you' telling you 'this is your fault.' and It takes the person suffering from depression extraordinary patience and practice to catch themselves spiraling into an invasive thought pattern and not to get discouraged when they try and fail.

Maybe the attitude "don't get me involved" sounds okay at a surface level, it's certainly not easy work. Most normal people can handle that kind of rejection, but to the depressed all they see is another time when they tried and failed and now you think worse of them for it. It's up to the people around those who are depressed to make it evident they have help when they need it, even if that's just letting them know it's okay to admit how they feel and you'll direct them to a professional.

If someone you care about came to you and said "I think I might have cancer" your reaction most likely would not be "don't get me involved" but "have you seen a doctor?" The only difference here is now the depressed person can not be expected / should not be trusted to see the doctor of their own volition. If you know someone who is suffering and hasn't seen a doctor, offer to make them an appointment and take them.

Yes, getting help and going out to exercise or get sun will all help, but sometimes even getting out of bed seems like an insurmountable task. One of the first lines of assault here is trying to find something that makes the physical components of depression easier to bear. There are treatments for the tumors just like there are treatments for the chemical imbalances, but the brain is still poorly understood, and the mind even more so. Everyone is different, though, and even antidepressants aside, not all medicines work for all people.

These kinds of medications take around a month or so to take full effect, and sometimes it takes some exploration to find the drug that works best. It's very easy to see no improvement early on and think the treatments aren't working. It's very easy to get discouraged to be making what doesn't look like very much progress for putting so much effort into it.

If you know somebody who is suffering and has seen a doctor, check on them periodically about how they're progressing. If you're willing, give them your number and let them know they can call you when they need someone to talk to. This doesn't mean be their crutch, but it does mean be prepared to fulfill that commitment if you offer to be a lifeline. It does mean be prepared to hurt their feelings sometimes to break them out of a negative thought loop. It definitely means be prepared to call the police if they might be in a position where they are a danger to themselves.

Last edited by Irobeth; 08-14-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Holy cow that's a long post!

Until I knew better I thought #Fergeson was about Craig Frergeson.

Keep having guests on like Steve

Somebody should tell Kendell that just because she's famous doesn't mean she gets a free ride.

Last edited by WSEIII; 08-14-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEIII View Post
Holy cow that's a long post!

Until I knew better I thought #Fergeson was about Craig Frergeson.

Keep having guests on like Steve

Somebody should tell Kendell that just because she's famous doesn't mean she gets a free ride.
It is long but all of it needed said in one location, a lot of the dialogue between Keith and Chemda were good points that needed proper sorting.

The recent news about RW having onset Parkinson's Disease probably needs mentioning, too, since that gives a little insight to his motives of suicide and shifts the conversation more toward right-to-death than depression, but it doesn't discredit his death opening up the dialogue.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

1h13m of this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.7 KB, 112 views)
Old 08-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Remember back in 2010 when Keith and Chemda announced they had broken up? All we fans were devastated. We couldn't begin to understand how these two could possibly NOT be a couple???

LOL 2010.

Chemda A+++

Danny's Elliot Smith t-shirt A+

Keith's radical new Shout Down Depression therapy: ...still under review
Old 08-15-2014, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyfud View Post
Is there a KATGA for dumbest comment of the year? If so, I would like to nominate Keith's comment that "depressed people want to be depressed"! Well played sir, well played! I wouldn't wish "Clinical Depression" on my worst enemy!
First off, good for you that you never had bad enough enemies. I have. Don't even begin to guess what that is like...

Also, don't quote me if you're not quoting me. I was 100% right with what I said before you twisted it. (The depressed agreed as well.)

Quote:
And by the way, I don't have depression and, to my knowledge never have! I have a loved one that suffers from it and has had some very, very dark days and has spent large chunks of time in hospital with it.
But somehow YOU understand...

Quote:
Can I also suggest instead of using the term "Major Depression" to use the term "Clinical Depression".
No dumb-dumb, we can't. Clinical means you were clinically called that thing.

Maybe I'm wrong on the things I'm saying, but if so, then you're guessing like me, High Horse.

Is fuck you too strong to say here? Cause that's what you just said to me.

I'm sorry for your friend, but don't get mad at me cause you don't know how to help them.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irobeth View Post
It takes the person suffering from depression extraordinary patience and practice to catch themselves spiraling into an invasive thought pattern and not to get discouraged when they try and fail.
this. this helped me the most in climbing out of the dark hole i found myself in: awareness and permission. if i can suss out the times my brain is being chemically off kilter and when things are actual causes of panic, the pressure lessens. figuring out what's real and what's not real is a constant challenge. i have people in my life i use as checks to help in that endeavor; those folks loved me through the worst of it. hard. support systems are no joke and i'm lucky and grateful to have had them. getting back up is humbling and incredibly embarrassing. those people never made me feel silly.
mollyfud likes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
The ignorant comments on depression where already saying fuck you to all people suffering depression and those caring for them as well
keet copy edits his thoughts before posting, though, soooooooo….. forgiven.
Keith likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I was right.

Fuck you.

And I don't care if you're going through a spell.