Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: You look nice. Are you on a diet?
Yes 10 27.03%
No 27 72.97%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree42Likes

Old 08-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

I can't see driverless cars faring well on the roads here. It's twisty as fuck and tons of dirt/gravel roads plus a real lack in some places to receive electronic signals. Gravel roads have a slippy layer that causes drift around tight turns; gotta just feel it out in your bones or you'll careen right off it. Or know RCA RT how to navigate miles of pot hole labyrinths. Ain't no hot wheels track down here.
John Galt likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Or up here
Old 08-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
What about the inevitable integration of machine and man? What Kurzweil calls the 'Singularity.' It was on Netflix for a bit. Well worth the watch.
Oh sure, I've seen that and it's great. But, as the guy who made the video said on his podcast, there's a pretty deep chasm of doom between now and the sci-fi utopia. We'd have to hope that we aren't replaced, or that we've prepared for being replaced, before we can live in the world of Star Treks. Otherwise it'll just be the super wealthy that can become one with the internet and transcend the human form.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Everybody's talking about robots taking our jobs, but what about cats?

It Looks Like Pizza Hut in Japan Is Now Totally Being Run by Cats | Adweek
MichaelApproved and bithead like this.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #25 (permalink)

Don't think there will ever be a pill to completely replace food for humans but Soylent comes really close. It is everything your body actually needs and nothing extraneous. It aims to be a complete food replacement. Other similar products are for building muscle or losing weight or whatever.. you can't live on them though.

I wouldn't hesitate to "eat" Soylent exclusively for a few months. The majority of my diet over the last week has been Soylent. I have about 3 weeks worth of it left from the order I made when they were running their kickstarter. I'll probably reorder when I run low. This stuff is fantastic and I have so much more energy I feel like a god damn super hero.

I got it more for convenience (I don't always feel like cooking or ordering out). The health/diet aspect is just an unintended benefit.
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastknowngod View Post
Don't think there will ever be a pill to completely replace food for humans but Soylent comes really close. It is everything your body actually needs and nothing extraneous. It aims to be a complete food replacement. Other similar products are for building muscle or losing weight or whatever.. you can't live on them though.

I wouldn't hesitate to "eat" Soylent exclusively for a few months. The majority of my diet over the last week has been Soylent. I have about 3 weeks worth of it left from the order I made when they were running their kickstarter. I'll probably reorder when I run low. This stuff is fantastic and I have so much more energy I feel like a god damn super hero.

I got it more for convenience (I don't always feel like cooking or ordering out). The health/diet aspect is just an unintended benefit.
Great concept but couldn't they pick a better name? I keep thinking of the movie Soylent Green.

Putting the name aside, how does it taste?

Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
Great concept but couldn't they pick a better name? I keep thinking of the movie Soylent Green.

Putting the name aside, how does it taste?
Completely agree on the name.. it's terrible and purely a marketing thing.

As far as taste, it's kinda hard to describe. It really doesn't taste like anything. When you open a bag the actual powder smells like boxed cake mix. Texture is like a very slightly gritty milkshake. I usually add a spoonful of peanut butter or nutella to a 2L pitcher to give it some flavor.

One thing I have noticed is that it is nearly undrinkable at room temperature. When it is cold it is pretty good actually.

I throw down a single glass in the morning around 8-830 and I'm good until 1 or so in the afternoon. I don't get hungry at all. I thought I'd be so hungry I'd be ready to kill someone but it's the complete opposite.

I live in Bushwick so if you want to have a Soylent dinner I could make it happen. It would be a very short dinner party though. haha

EDIT: Apparently people have started actually baking with it. I guess you can make food that actually resembles food too. I'm fine drinking it.

http://discourse.soylent.me/t/has-an...lent-yet/13022

Last edited by thelastknowngod; 08-25-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Completely agree on the name.. it's terrible and purely a marketing thing.

As far as taste, it's kinda hard to describe. It really doesn't taste like anything. When you open a bag the actual powder smells like boxed cake mix. Texture is like a very slightly gritty milkshake. I usually add a spoonful of peanut butter or nutella to a 2L pitcher to give it some flavor.

One thing I have noticed is that it is nearly undrinkable at room temperature. When it is cold it is pretty good actually.

I throw down a single glass in the morning around 8-830 and I'm good until 1 or so in the afternoon. I don't get hungry at all. I thought I'd be so hungry I'd be ready to kill someone but it's the complete opposite.

I live in Bushwick so if you want to have a Soylent dinner I could make it happen. It would be a very short dinner party though. haha

EDIT: Apparently people have started actually baking with it. I guess you can make food that actually resembles food too. I'm fine drinking it.

Has anyone baked with production Soylent yet? - Soylent Discourse
I'm interested in trying it, but I imagine I would get tired of eating the same thing after a week.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scat View Post
I'm interested in trying it, but I imagine I would get tired of eating the same thing after a week.
It's definitely odd not actually eating anything. That's the only thing that is kinda weird for me. You can customize it pretty easily though. I'm actually going to stop at the store on the way home from work today and get some bananas and berries to mix with the Soylent in a blender. I wouldn't hesitate to throw pretty much anything in there.. since it really has no taste at all it's pretty much a blank canvas. You can do whatever you want with it.

Now that I write this I'm thinking of doing it with Sriracha or some other hot sauce.. the heat paired with the coolness of the drink sounds pretty awesome actually.

In the end, it all comes down to what you pair with it. Since it provides all of your nutritional needs you don't really have specific food cravings anymore. For example, if I'm in the mood for a steak I may just be low on iron. Now that I have everything already accounted for I never find myself jonesing for a porterhouse.
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
I usually add a spoonful of peanut butter or nutella to a 2L pitcher to give it some flavor.

That sounds like a good idea. When I used to workout on a regular bases, I'd drink protein shakes and they'd have to be cold to drink them. I was thinking that throwing fruit in there would be a nice touch, like strawberries. Do you think it'd go well with that?

EDIT: Just read the message you posted simultaneously with me. We'll know the answer to this question later today.

Quote:
Are you noticing any weight loss?

Quote:
That would be nice, if I ever left the house. I think I left the house 6 times over the last month, including throwing out the trash.

Last edited by MichaelApproved; 08-25-2014 at 03:49 PM.