Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: If you had the BRCA1 gene would you get a preventative mastectomy?
Yes 53 84.13%
No 10 15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree55Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 94
When they were talking about Manilow Way and Gay Street I was driving past Gaylord Way. I thought it was pretty important to bring this up.
Keith and Scumhook like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45
Just quoting the wiki on this:

Quote:
There has been considerable controversy over whether or not Fox possesses an advantage over other female fighters. In an interview with the New York Post, UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey said that she felt Fox had an unfair physical advantage due to having "the same bone structure a man has".

Eric Vilain, director of the Institute For Society And Genetics at the University of California, Los Angeles, disagreed, stating in Time magazine that "Male to female transsexuals have significantly less muscle strength and bone density, and higher fat mass, than males". Vilain reviewed Fox's medical records and supported her right to fight as a woman.

Vilain, who worked with the Association of Boxing Commissions when they wrote their policy on transgender athletes, was also quoted by Time as saying that, to be licensed, transgender female fighters must undergo complete "surgical anatomical changes ... including external genitalia and gonadectomy" (see sex reassignment surgery) and a minimum of a subsequent two years of hormone replacement therapy, as two years is "the current understanding of the minimum amount of time necessary to obviate male hormone gender related advantages in sports competition". When asked if Fox could, nonetheless, be stronger than her competitors, Vilain replied that it was possible, but noted that "sports is made up of competitors who, by definition, have advantages for all kinds of genetics reasons", and said that it would be discriminatory to treat Fox differently than other athletes with potential genetic advantages.

Time also noted that, as she has neither testicles nor ovaries, Fox probably has lower testosterone levels than most of her competitors.Fox says that she has less strength and endurance than her female training partner, and that she has to make up for it by perfecting her technique.

Fox responded to the allegations made by Rogan and Rousey in a guest editorial for bloodyelbow.com. She claimed the advantage of taking estrogen resulted in bone density, which is also a side effect of taking testosterone. She challenged Rogan and Rousey to make such claims about black women who have been noted scientifically, to have the same bone density as white men. Finally she questioned how a '"male frame"' can produce the massive "punching power" that Rogan speaks of without male muscle mass behind it.
Quote:
it would be discriminatory to treat Fox differently than other athletes with potential genetic advantages.
This is Chemda's point.

Most fighters who are choosing not to fight her are doing this on a platform of "she took an elective procedure which allows her to use her genetic advantage", and that's their prerogative to do so. Ronda Rousey has a record (11-0) to protect, too. If she thinks she's at a disadvantage of course she's going to use this as a scapegoat to avoid putting her title on the line.

Fox's record is 5-1, her loss was a TKO to strikes, and only two of her victories are KO/TKO that she caused. One is an injury on the part of her opponent, two are submissions, so she's not just out there crushing face.
The Girl, rodimusprime and marykae like this.

Last edited by Irobeth; 04-15-2015 at 02:38 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #53 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KOUNTRY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: California
Posts: 131
I know this addresses a very small portion of your post. But since both me and girl have huge crush on Ronda rousey I just want to say yes she says it ain't fair and she shouldn't fight. The part no one repeats is when asked if she would fight her she said yes " if I have to fight her I will and I'll knock her out"
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #54 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KOUNTRY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: California
Posts: 131
Btw Ronda if your fan of Keith and the girl and read this forum. Your on both mine and my girls hall pass list just saying.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #55 (permalink)
Member
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOUNTRY View Post
I know this addresses a very small portion of your post. But since both me and girl have huge crush on Ronda rousey I just want to say yes she says it ain't fair and she shouldn't fight. The part no one repeats is when asked if she would fight her she said yes " if I have to fight her I will and I'll knock her out"
Rousey has said she'd fight her if the UFC insisted, but thinks her advantage is unfair and called it "a socially difficult situation". That's all that started this entire debate (a year ago, by the way)

The bottom line is, if the athletic commission clears her to fight other women, she's good to fight other women. Past that, everyone can complain all they want but none of that holds any weight in competition.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KOUNTRY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: California
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irobeth View Post
Rousey has said she'd fight her if the UFC insisted, but thinks her advantage is unfair and called it "a socially difficult situation". That's all that started this entire debate (a year ago, by the way)

The bottom line is, if the athletic commission clears her to fight other women, she's good to fight other women. Past that, everyone can complain all they want but none of that holds any weight in competition.
I know what she said. I said that much she also added that she would knock her out. That's it just wanted to add the part everyone keeps leaving out. She may not think it's fair or right but when it comes down to it she will take her on and win. She thinks anyway and I do too she is a better over all fighter than fox.

Last edited by KOUNTRY; 04-15-2015 at 04:43 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #57 (permalink)
Senior Member
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer
 
FingerLakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hollow Bastion
Posts: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOUNTRY View Post
Btw Ronda if your fan of Keith and the girl and read this forum. Your on both mine and my girls hall pass list just saying.
that's a fight I'd watch
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KOUNTRY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: California
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerLakes View Post
that's a fight I'd watch
Would be either a good fight or a fast one. I think all depends on how it starts. I know fox is tearing through her opponents but... Ronda has done her fair share of romping the competition her self. Advantage disadvantage how every you stand on the matter I think Ronda is one of the few where the advantages won't be enough. She is strong fast as he'll and just a great all around fighter. Well that is if she is even training anymore now that she a big movie star ��




Love you Ronda
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #59 (permalink)
Member
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irobeth View Post
Rousey has said she'd fight her if the UFC insisted, but thinks her advantage is unfair and called it "a socially difficult situation". That's all that started this entire debate (a year ago, by the way)

The bottom line is, if the athletic commission clears her to fight other women, she's good to fight other women. Past that, everyone can complain all they want but none of that holds any weight in competition.
I think this gets left out because it has nothing to do with the fairness argument.

If anything, it further adds to mine that she's hiding behind this as an excuse so she doesn't have to put her title on the line to someone she perceives has an advantage over her.

If she thinks she'll knock her out, why won't she take the fight? She didn't say it's to avoid setting precedent...
The Girl and marykae like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #60 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Jo_Culprit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St Lucia
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irobeth View Post
Just quoting the wiki on this:
Quote:
Vilain, who worked with the Association of Boxing Commissions when they wrote their policy on transgender athletes, was also quoted by Time as saying that, to be licensed, transgender female fighters must undergo complete "surgical anatomical changes ... including external genitalia and gonadectomy" (see sex reassignment surgery) and a minimum of a subsequent two years of hormone replacement therapy, as two years is "the current understanding of the minimum amount of time necessary to obviate male hormone gender related advantages in sports competition". When asked if Fox could, nonetheless, be stronger than her competitors, Vilain replied that it was possible, but noted that "sports is made up of competitors who, by definition, have advantages for all kinds of genetics reasons", and said that it would be discriminatory to treat Fox differently than other athletes with potential genetic advantages.

Time also noted that, as she has neither testicles nor ovaries, Fox probably has lower testosterone levels than most of her competitors.Fox says that she has less strength and endurance than her female training partner, and that she has to make up for it by perfecting her technique.
This is Chemda's point.
This post has done the best job at explaining Chemda's point in detail so far.

So it also says in the paragraph, 'to obviate male hormone related gender advantages'. This is what they've achieved, but the criticism is that that isn't sufficient from a mechanical point of view. Vilain is a geneticist not a researcher in biomechanics.

Also, Vilain is quoting predictions of how Fallon Fox should perform post hormone therapy and how Fox would have to rely on skill more than strength and endurance. In the actual fights however, the result has been reported as the opposite.

You have raised great and key points but the only thing that would convince me personally is statistical trials of the performance of transgender women in different sports post surgery compared to a benchmarked distribution of women in the same sport born with a female body. Otherwise Vilain's remarks are just speculation with the actual results in the ring appearing contrary to what he's predicting.

I think there is a point where Fallon Fox should definately be competing, but I think more analysis needs to be done before that point. That should also open up the path for more transgender women to compete in combat sports.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401248/
__________________
:::...::..:.

Last edited by Jo_Culprit; 04-15-2015 at 07:12 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger