Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Has PC culture gone too far?
Yes 13 38.24%
No 9 26.47%
This question is offensive 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree33Likes

Old 11-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Los

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
I always go by if it's not hurting anyone, then who cares.
Yeah, that's why I posted. It seemed like it should be offensive, but maybe not. I didn't know what to think. I wanted to hear what people had to say about it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
Yeah, that's why I posted. It seemed like it should be offensive, but maybe not. I didn't know what to think. I wanted to hear what people had to say about it.
I'm sure somebody is offended by it, but given the popularity of Drag Race, and Drag in general, there are tons of people that love it...

I don't think LB ever mentioned disdain towards women appreciating drag, and LB also doesn't represnt the attitudes of all queens. Ultimately it's a "Gay Art Form/Expression" and that alone offends tons of people just for being something for "the gays".
Old 11-04-2016, 06:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
I think they were even saying that they get offended by so many women being into it. Maybe I heard that wrong, but it can't be celebratory if that's true.

If this wasn't to the level of being cartoonish...

It's not until people get some distance from it that they might see it differently.

I think cultural appropriation and appreciation are different because they don't involve exaggeration for entertainment. That's when it crosses the line into mockery. Like you said, blackface isn't a celebration of black people.

It's just my opinion.
1) drag is performative. you don't hate your fans for loving you unless you're an asshole.

2) cartoonish is such a judgey way to see what is often some serious high art. you can still be clever and brilliant doing something exaggerated and comedic. it's a style choice. Brigitte Bidet in her day job life as Josh is a gorgeous male professional contemporary dancer who tours internationally. you /want/ to see that bitch get funny, k.

i'm more off put by people with performance art backgrounds. i watched a young drag gal strip, it was goofy and delightful, then a beautiful latina chick ladled milk all over said drag gal's body and sprinkled her with pop rocks. i don't get it.

3) by some people, you mean women, maybe even femme women specifically, and as a member of that community might i invite /you/ to walk the distance to see it from /our/ perspective? #mansplaining

4) honey, the common ground of big hair, big face, theater, sparkle, and glam is a fun fucking place to be. anyone with an interest in those things is welcome to participate assuming you come correct and werk. there's not an us/them thing happening in this glitter cloud.
memecherry likes this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.

Last edited by Sparrow; 11-04-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Los

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
by some people, you mean women, maybe even femme women specifically, and as a member of that community might i invite /you/ to walk the distance to see it from /our/ perspective? #mansplaining
I was talking about any group. I'm sure blackface was funny to black people when that was popular entertainment.

Interesting discussion.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Just so you know, and I thought you had a point at first, black face was for white people to laugh at black people. We kind of made them wear it.

I could be out of line for not reading above. I never do that. But my goodness.
memecherry and Sparrow like this.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Holy shit. I was right Los. You're confused that black face was EVER a positive thing.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #27 (permalink)

again, i think the comparison between blackface and drag is faulty because the power dynamic is different; the fancy male community isn't systemically oppressing women--if you don't count the contouring trend. by and large, drag performances tend to give a crap ton of power to their personas. blackface never allowed that much agency in their portrayals. it's not just that they were exaggerated, they were /only/ subservient as well. you'll have to check off more boxes than drag being BIG AND LOUD to call it oppressive.
Keith and memecherry like this.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:00 AM   #28 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

You're not so sure about that?

I do want to see your drag queens in black face for sure, but more importantly, Look it up. And if you don't, then assume I might be right.

Black people enjoyed seeing people in black face? They were loving it?

"Hilarious," said Negro Johnson
Old 11-05-2016, 01:09 AM   #29 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

White people made black people wear black face and act like animals.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:16 AM   #30 (permalink)

there is still a difference between men taking women's roles as an act of oppression towards women and drag. that example more directly relates to the exclusion still happening of Asians cast in Asian roles. drag includes women; a woman can gender bend as a drag king fine and dandy. drag isn't taking work away from women /and/ both women and the drag community face an intersection of similar oppressors.

drag doesn't oppress women.
memecherry likes this.

Last edited by Sparrow; 11-05-2016 at 07:18 AM.