Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: Hidden Fences: Were Jenna Bush and Michael Keaton being subconsciously racist?
Yes 12 40.00%
No 18 60.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree34Likes

Old 01-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I think "arts" being part of Mixed Martial Arts was intentional from Streep - an attempted pun of sorts - rather than a weird oversight on the specific language she was using. Of course sports are not "The Arts". She was 1000% right on that.

It definitely played as a bum note though, given that her point was that being anti-foreigner and anti-diversity would wipe out everything but football and MMA, when the most high profile MMA fight in recent times featured a world champion who's gay, Brazilian and a woman, never mind that half of the UFC's world champions are non-Americans and the UFC regularly has female fighters as the starring headline bouts while male fighters are below them in the support slots. Meanwhile the biggest star in the game was very vocal in his support for legalizing gay marriage in his homeland of Ireland.

Aside from maybe tennis, I can't think of another professional sport which is doing more to be gender-balanced and welcoming of foreign talent than MMA is.
starscream likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I was very confused by Johns points about open primaries so I read some points on the website and wiki and to be honest I still don't get it.

I didn't know that you guys do primaries for most offices not just the president candidate, I'm starting to understand that voter turnout is so low because that sounds exhausting.

So if I understand it correctly this movement is basically asking to do a primary election where all candidates run, everybody votes and then the top two winners run again a few months later. And if it happens to be two republicans that win then the Democratic Party just doesn't do anything in that district? I'm not sure if they are actually asking for that to happen for presidential elections as well or just the lower level ones?

I mighty be getting that wrong but isn't that like asking to just not have parties but make it all person based? That sounds like it would open the door for even more Trump like politicians that talk a big game but have few underlying principles?

Where does voting for parties come in at all in this system? Or would this mean they switch to a Germany style (Hi Luis!) proportional representation system where everybody gets two votes: one for a person and one for a party?

Can anybody explain? Michael?
kaligula likes this.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

[QUOTE=Luis;857517]Exactly, fuck em! Get off our fucking lawn party pooper, spew your evil criticism somewhere else! The forums are for circlejerks and praise only, you should know that by now. I for one loved the guests points and I think Chemda was spot on as always. During her free jazz/free association social justice rants I swear I could feel the rest of the countries opinions shift just a teensy bit. If she keeps on yelling her points, preferably as long disjointed and hopefully uninterrupted rants we might actually be close to a national awakening. Keith of course shrewdly kept his distance during the discussion but you know, Keith is Keith. And we all love him for that. /QUOTE]

I hope I don't come off as attacking critics. I think I'm writing how I feel when it's pro/counter someone's argument.

I'm not sure what this criticism is though. I go on tangents that you don't like? You didn't like my opinion?

How am I stopping people? I'm really asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

I box - or as its called the sweet science.

I know it's not science.

Anyone learning to choke out some mothereffer knows that martial arts aren't actual arts.
kaligula likes this.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Chemda's going to show us all that this can go somewhere. Luis is 26 years old, so surely he can hold a discussion. This will definitely be worth her time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
Bring on the counter attacks!
Bring on the counter attacks? What the fuck did you even say?
Bucho likes this.

Last edited by Keith; 01-10-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

I no longer believe Donald Trump was mocking that reporter - check out the embedded videos.

https://www.catholics4trump.com/the-...rs-disability/

It took me five minutes to find that and its pretty conclusive.

(and stop making me defend trump - the only thing he has ever said that I agree with is that Meryl Streep is overrated. "That deengo took moi boibee" )
Old 01-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweaty Balls View Post
Anyone learning to choke out some mothereffer knows that martial arts aren't actual arts.
i don't know about that. there's an art to lots of things that aren't traditionally thought of as creative practices like accounting; a well executed excel spreadsheet is a real thing of beauty. modes of thinking, creating, and understanding (visual, mathematical, logical, movement, sound, metaphor, etc.) can be elevated by those who really understand and utilize it within themselves.

when it comes to all forms of body practice, there's definitely art to it, even physical therapy. the right plan executed to achieve something miraculous takes more than just what's on a page. healing is creative and i would argue can be elevated to art. combat is an expression of movement and intent; combinations of technical skill and choices made in the moment. it's a cousin of dance. the act of deftly subduing an opponent can be beautifully done. and as art and science are fraternal twins, it follows that the use of physics, force, and knowledge of anatomy give it ample opportunity to become artistic.
kaligula and Mermaid like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweaty Balls View Post
I no longer believe Donald Trump was mocking that reporter - check out the embedded videos.

https://www.catholics4trump.com/the-...rs-disability/

It took me five minutes to find that and its pretty conclusive.

(and stop making me defend trump - the only thing he has ever said that I agree with is that Meryl Streep is overrated. "That deengo took moi boibee" )
I read the link.

His "act out" is definitely one in which he is using a disability as the butt of the joke.

That particular reporter has a disability that resembles Trump's
"act out".

Trump is probably just exaggerating the guy's disability, that's what assholes do when mocking people. Do you really think Trump would go and do research on the guy's particular form of disability and its symptoms before mocking him?

But let's say he wasn't referencing that particular reporter at all, he still used disability for a butt of a joke.
Lanfear and Sparrow like this.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
I read the link.

But let's say he wasn't referencing that particular reporter at all, he still used disability for a butt of a joke.
What she said.

Mermaid you're awesome, do. stick around on the forums pretty please?
The Girl, Sparrow and Mermaid like this.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
i don't know about that. there's an art to lots of things that aren't traditionally thought of as creative practices like accounting; a well executed excel spreadsheet is a real thing of beauty. modes of thinking, creating, and understanding (visual, mathematical, logical, movement, sound, metaphor, etc.) can be elevated by those who really understand and utilize it within themselves.

when it comes to all forms of body practice, there's definitely art to it, even physical therapy. the right plan executed to achieve something miraculous takes more than just what's on a page. healing is creative and i would argue can be elevated to art. combat is an expression of movement and intent; combinations of technical skill and choices made in the moment. it's a cousin of dance. the act of deftly subduing an opponent can be beautifully done. and as art and science are fraternal twins, it follows that the use of physics, force, and knowledge of anatomy give it ample opportunity to become artistic.
Fair enough anything can be art - Meryl should have said we do art, you know like a guy who does a really nice spreadsheet.

Marcel Duchamp made the point that anything can be art - does not mean that anything is art. Beauty doers not equal art and art does not equal beauty.

I also do ballet fwiw, and the parameters of dance dance and fight are completely different. I believe comparing martial arts to dance (except for some stylized variations like Tai Chi) is an insult to every dancer on the planet.

You are talking nonsense.

Last edited by My Sweaty Balls; 01-10-2017 at 06:03 PM.