Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Re: Hidden Fences: Were Jenna Bush and Michael Keaton being subconsciously racist?
Yes 12 40.00%
No 18 60.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree34Likes

Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweaty Balls View Post
Maybe one day we can resolve it over a glass of chardonnay (although I doubt there is enough chardonnay on the planet to get us to agree on this)
def hanging out IRL at any available opportunity. omfg, what would i do without this safe space and you assholes?

is it really nonsensical to you to find the Exceptional artistic? b/c it makes me think you're stupid.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #52 (permalink)

Look I said I'd end it here but you were so nice:

Anything can be exception - someone on the planet is probably the best genocider. Are their genocides art?

So go with the argument for a moment - not everything that is the best / exceptional is art.

So you can draw a line somewhere.

My line is this (and I know it has its own bullshit) if you do something for an artistic reason then its art (to be beautiful , to provoke though discussion etc). If you do it for utilitarian reasons, even if it is artful its not art. So I am sure there is some Wing Chung master who's practise has the sole aim of being the most beautiful, or perfect execution of kung fu, or Karate kata's could be considered art.

Watching Conner McGregor's last fight was about as close to art as MMA ever gets - it was beautiful.

However in MMA you often get a fighter whose technique is wonderful and he just gets mauled by a brawler.

So the purpose of the MMA is about as utilitarian as possible, its about survival, if it is art then everything is art - if everything is art then nothing is art.

So could you put two MMA fighters in gallery and make art - yes I think so.

But generally when two guys are fighting I'd say not.

From an internal perspective , doing Ballet is 100% about aesthetics and about the audience, when I fight its just not (even though now that I am old and slow my training is much more meditative than competitive)

That was much wordier than I intended, but there it is.
“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at M.I.T.; good genes, very good genes, O.K., very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, O.K. …”
- Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America
Old 01-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Look I said I'd end it here

Anything can be exception - someone on the planet is probably the best genocider. Are their genocides art?

So go with the argument for a moment - not everything that is the best / exceptional is art.

From an internal perspective , doing Ballet is 100% about aesthetics and about the audience, when I fight its just not (even though now that I am old and slow my training is much more meditative than competitive)
1) how magnanimous of you

2) disgust isn't a deal breaker for me. and, ya know, using your own parameters, if said genocider's intent was artistic, then you agree with me.

3) for me it kinda is.

i could also make the argument, and do believe with just as much vigor, that the simple and mundane is also artistic. rituals for me are very rich that way. i could watch a person wash dishes by hand and be moved in a way that i would label it art. had a resident artist at my house one time walk down the driveway picking and eating violets and i happened to spy her from the window. was that beautiful balladeer intentionally making art? no. would i consider it art. hell yeah. i like beautiful shit happening in real time.

4) that's cool. we all have our feelings about it. having a ballet background i get why things for you are or are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #54 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
My line is this (and I know it has its own bullshit) if you do something for an artistic reason then its art (to be beautiful , to provoke though discussion etc). If you do it for utilitarian reasons, even if it is artful its not art. So I am sure there is some Wing Chung master who's practise has the sole aim of being the most beautiful, or perfect execution of kung fu, or Karate kata's could be considered art.

Watching Conner McGregor's last fight was about as close to art as MMA ever gets - it was beautiful.
If the sole aim is the line then where do major studio blockbusters or major label pop tunes - entertainments created with utilitarian priorities over and above beauty and/or thought-provocation - fit for you Balls?

And what of the likes of McGregor or Rousey or Mayweather or Klitchko, who are/were in positions such that they're financially set for life and questions of survival no longer factor in as motivations? Where do you slot those who continue to compete due to motivations based in personal expression over and above utilitarian concerns?

After all, as a great man once suggested, engagement in organized fisticuffs may even be seen as the ultimate form of self-expression. "What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe with someone saying 'I am'?"
Mermaid likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #55 (permalink)

Chemda took the SJW shit waaay too far once again. All she did was mix up the names of the movies. How is that racist or come from a racist place? Then when the apology takes too long you say "ohh please....violins!". This show is getting really hard to continue listening to. Chemda constantly thinks everything is racist, or sexist and jumps on her SJW soapbox...chill man. Its getting ridiculous.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #56 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

We know your race. I really wish people would start writing their ages.

They don't even type where they're from nowadays.

SJW... SMH.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTabs View Post
Chemda took the SJW shit waaay too far once again. All she did was mix up the names of the movies. How is that racist or come from a racist place? Then when the apology takes too long you say "ohh please....violins!". This show is getting really hard to continue listening to. Chemda constantly thinks everything is racist, or sexist and jumps on her SJW soapbox...chill man. Its getting ridiculous.
Y'all gonna stop coming for Chemda. Isweartahgawd
Old 01-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #58 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTabs View Post

This reporter seemed more scared to be called racist than to recognize anything about her action. That's what I was commenting on.

If I get comedians Subhah and Aparna mixed up, I know why. It doesn't mean I hate Indian people or I think they are all the same. But it IS because there are very few Indian people and influences around me and I'm limited in my perspective on how I literally see them.

If I fuck something like that up in public, I hope my apology won't include any information other than how I fucked up. Not about how all the other times I did so great.

(Sorry to call out these comics. You should SOOOO check them out if you haven't. They. Are. Amazing!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amnesiac likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #59 (permalink)
Los

I saw the speech. It was good, but I can see why people have a problem with actors doing this at award shows. You're taking the opportunity to give your personal opinion, and everyone has to listen to it. It only works if the audience already agrees with you. Imagine if Streep talked about how we've moved too far away from traditional Christian values, or how she's a proud Trump supporter.

This has an interesting perspective on the speech. Hollywood's concern for the disabled seems to end when it comes to hiring. They all clapped though.

Meryl Streep's Golden Globes Speech Belied An Inconvenient Truth About Hollywood | The Huffington Post
Mermaid likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
If the sole aim is the line then where do major studio blockbusters or major label pop tunes - entertainments created with utilitarian priorities over and above beauty and/or thought-provocation - fit for you Balls?

And what of the likes of McGregor or Rousey or Mayweather or Klitchko, who are/were in positions such that they're financially set for life and questions of survival no longer factor in as motivations? Where do you slot those who continue to compete due to motivations based in personal expression over and above utilitarian concerns?

After all, as a great man once suggested, engagement in organized fisticuffs may even be seen as the ultimate form of self-expression. "What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe with someone saying 'I am'?"
Yeah you got me - Hollywood blockbusters are by definition great art, you know because of their amazing spreadsheets.

Now lets move Bellator MMA into MOMA where it belongs.

"Y’all guys know what I do…I put people in body bags.” - Art baby wooo!

Last edited by My Sweaty Balls; 01-11-2017 at 02:29 PM.