Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Whose side were you on during the discussion of the Family Ties impersonator?
Chemda 25 64.10%
Yamaneika 14 35.90%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree141Likes

Old 02-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by memecherry View Post
What do we tell little boys & girls so they can prevent a family member or a person of power in their life (clergy, teacher,etc) from assaulting them sexually?

the main thing I felt when it happened to ME was shame, like I did something wrong... Any attitudes towards victims we could change that might make room for victims to not feel like they are to blame?
1. There is no such thing as preventing it but we do teach kids about "no-no zones" and "stranger danger". And we also vet day-cares and babysitters to the best of our ability. There is protocol for teachers not to be left alone with a student at all levels from elementary to universities. There are sexual predator registries so families can make informed decisions on where to live.

2. Attitudes towards victims can be changed by mass education on the reality of sexual assault.
Apia and jbliss like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by memecherry View Post
the main thing I felt when it happened to ME was shame, like I did something wrong... Any attitudes towards victims we could change that might make room for victims to not feel like they are to blame?
Ditto. Babysitter for me. I don't have any magic solutions to this problem. Teaching our children, "here's what you can do to mitigate risk and, if it does happen to you, it's not your fault," seems right. And, of course, if it does happen, telling them that it's not their fault seems right.
Mermaid likes this.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #83 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

A lot of those articles mention schools, strangers, teach girls self defense.

One takes the point to talk to your kids & make them feel safe enough to talk to you... Shame that my mom was a single mother who worked all the time, thus my grandparents & aunt were my babysitters... The side of the family (my father's side, I haven't spoken to any of them in over 10 yrs) that used inappropriate language & touching (my cousin was the most blatant but not the only) all the time & told the little girls in the family to just be quiet.

Hopefully other kids with single parents that don't have a close bond to their kids fare better than I did.

www.MeMeCPhoto.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Meme isn't hard to find; her laugh carries 'cause she throws her head back like a gorgeous unicorn. she's also an amazing first contact. look for the fanciest bitch having the best time.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #84 (permalink)

Yup. Babysitter was present because my Mom was divorced and working full time.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #85 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

I am close to my mom now, thankfully, and funny enough because of this thread yesterday was the first time I told her about my cousin... It's been almost 25 yrs since it happened... Shame runs deep when it's so prevalent...
The Girl, jbliss and Mermaid like this.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #86 (permalink)

I didn't get talked to until after it happened the first time. (I was 4)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
I didn't get talked to until after it happened the first time. (I was 4)
That's awful. Should parents talk to 3-year-olds about stranger-danger, bathing suit areas, etc? I guess maybe?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #88 (permalink)

I think if anything this thread shows the importance of being active, present & connected with your kids... EVERY day. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the future with the era of iPad babysitting...
jbliss likes this.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbliss View Post
That's awful. Should parents talk to 3-year-olds about stranger-danger, bathing suit areas, etc? I guess maybe?
I think as soon as the kid can talk and comprehend "no-no zone".
Old 02-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
I think as soon as the kid can talk and comprehend "no-no zone".
2-ish?