Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you hear a difference in Keith since he stopped drinking?
Yes 23 43.40%
No 30 56.60%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree69Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 212
As an aside, tobacco is swallowed as a field-expedient remedy for intestinal parasites. Some people in extremely undeveloped societies use cigarettes as a mosquito repellent.

The arthropod nervous system is sensitive to nicotine to a degree that the vertebrate nervous system is not.

If you're working somewhere with Malaria or Yellow Fever in the pre-modern era you better hope you and your friends are smoking up a cloud.

Even the birdies love a healthy ciggity-cig!

EDIT: I forgot. It's also a field-expedient poultice for minor wounds and toothache.
Mermaid likes this.

Last edited by kaligula; 10-26-2017 at 07:36 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Detroit area - Michigan
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Call me stubborn but I don't see cigarettes curing anything ever.
Well look at negative Nelly here. Cigarettes are great at thinning the population and reducing the cost to pensions. it's just important not to cover the heath care costs, push that off to the state.

Back to the point, the NFL lied about concussions they lied about what they knew and when the knew it and they tried to silence the truth when it was coming out. Additionally, Kieth is the only one who knew these guys were having severe and permanent brain damage from football. Doctors and scientists around the country where shocked. The NFL almost killed the story but additional doctors had read the study and did their own research and many others came out and said this kind of brain damage couldn't be caused by just playing football. This study was and is a big deal and Kieth saying he knew is just bullshit after the fact.

Is Keith a piece of shit for watching football, eh I don't think so.
I think to an extent though calling football players pieces of shit for beating their wives and girlfriends might also be unfair. This brain damage makes them more aggressive, violent and easily angered as well as causing depression and suicidal thoughts. What I'm saying is the player themselves are victims of a condition they can't control. There is no drug to fix this. The fact that NFL players disproportionately have a history of domestic violence and rape is not surprising considering the number of NFL players who have this type of brain damage. The players are victims as well and the NFL perpetuated a lie and tried to suppress the truth to benefit their pocketbooks JUST like the cigarette companies.
jcro21 and Mermaid like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Apia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligula View Post
As an aside, tobacco is swallowed as a field-expedient remedy for intestinal parasites. Some people in extremely undeveloped societies use cigarettes as a mosquito repellent.

The arthropod nervous system is sensitive to nicotine to a degree that the vertebrate nervous system is not.

If you're working somewhere with Malaria or Yellow Fever in the pre-modern era you better hope you and your friends are smoking up a cloud.

Even the birdies love a healthy ciggity-cig!

EDIT: I forgot. It's also a field-expedient poultice for minor wounds and toothache.
Tobacco I can maybe see as useful somehow
I said cigarettes. For smoking.
Scorpion likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 212
Obviously you're correct for the most part. This is just an interesting edge case.

Cannabis is arguably less harmful as a plant-based parasiticide (and modern technology is better than either) but if it's cigarettes or nothing in a survival situation, conventional wisdom is to use the cigarette tobacco. For the poultice, you mash it with water but for mosquitoes, it's burned in a smoker for area denial and smoked like a cigar as a personal mosquito shield.

I'm sure you'd better off if you could make a portable burner hat, but smoking appears to offer net benefits in that unusual situation.

I'd personally rather use a Thermacell, even if its giving me ultra-cancer.

EDIT: This shouldn't need to be said, but field-expedient in this context refers to a SHTF scenario. One still has to cover up the body (nicotine extracted to water with a little soap sprayed onto the clothes will help). The smoke just protects the face and head, which tend to be exposed. This information should never really be applied.
Scorpion likes this.

Last edited by kaligula; 10-26-2017 at 08:40 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Apia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligula View Post
Obviously you're correct for the most part. This is just an interesting edge case.

Cannabis is arguably less harmful as a plant-based parasiticide (and modern technology is better than either) but if it's cigarettes or nothing in a survival situation, conventional wisdom is to use the cigarette tobacco. For the poultice, you mash it with water but for mosquitoes, it's burned in a smoker for area denial and smoked like a cigar as a personal mosquito shield.

I'm sure you'd better off if you could make a portable burner hat, but smoking appears to offer net benefits in that unusual situation.

I'd personally rather use a Thermacell, even if its giving me ultra-cancer.

EDIT: This shouldn't need to be said, but field-expedient in this context refers to a SHTF scenario. One still has to cover up the body (nicotine extracted to water with a little soap sprayed onto the clothes will help). The smoke just protects the face and head, which tend to be exposed. This information should never really be applied.
This sounds right and I'm fine with this. Also possible that someone could take cigarettes and make beautiful art with them.
Or fashion. Or somehow using them for sex (stimulating something ? Maybe?)


I just think smoking them in the classic way isn't beneficial.
Scorpion and kaligula like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
astrokahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 223
Since it's Psychoanalyze Keet Day, I definitely hear a difference. I don't know if you'll like it so much but before you were sober, you were pretty much even Steven in terms of how you came across on the show. (Your mood, voice, cadence etc) and now it seems like I can hear your moods come through where they didn't before. Like if you're having an off day it seems a little more evident in your voice, or if you're super happy it shows through as well. I guess you're more naked now, which makes sense bc alcohol does tend to lay a big ole blanket of numb across everything all the time.

What I'm saying is that if you're gonna be naked in front of all of us all the time hurry up and get that fucken scale, cakeface.

Oh also:
I feel you on the quitting easy stuff. I've had the same experience. Two months and I've really had no issues, which was why I stopped going to AA. I couldn't at all connect with it being hard to stop drinking, I just stopped and it was fine, so anything I could say in there just made me feel like an asshole. "I'm liz and maybe I really never was an alcoholic... life's great and it has been since day one!" WHERES OUR GROUPPPPPPP?
jcro21 and Scorpion like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
astrokahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 223
Before you say it Chemda,
Yes everyone should go to a meeting for something.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Apia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
Posts: 1,579
And about football.
Isn't it in your country that especially black boys are into football ( I'm a European AND dont care about sports)?
I read 70% of the players are black.
So this is an area where they can have more success than in other parts of the economy, it's not like 70% of the CEOs are black.

So young black boys want to be pro players because it's a possibility to succeed and make money, easier for them then other paths. And this also means success and money for their families.
And now we don't care about their brain damage? Hm.....
jcro21, Scorpion and Mermaid like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer
 
GreeningOA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mahwah,NJ
Posts: 183
Do you hear a difference in Keith since he stopped drinking?

I surely can't vote on this one till I hear the episode. I hear a difference only in that Keith has had a revelation of sorts on his feelings on drinking. I hear no difference in "Keith".

-scott
thirteen likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Detroit area - Michigan
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
And about football.
Isn't it in your country that especially black boys are into football ( I'm a European AND dont care about sports)?
I read 70% of the players are black.
So this is an area where they can have more success than in other parts of the economy, it's not like 70% of the CEOs are black.

So young black boys want to be pro players because it's a possibility to succeed and make money, easier for them then other paths. And this also means success and money for their families.
And now we don't care about their brain damage? Hm.....
I tried to express this point but couldn't find the words. College is expensive, poorer people and in this country that means disproportionately minority population look for scholarships.
Academic scholarships look at test scores as a big part of qualification.
Our standardized tests have proven to skew in favor of white middle/upper class. So minorities need to look to athletic or music scholarships in order to pay for college.
That is a big reason if not the reason most professional football and basketball players are black. Baseball and hockey don't use colleges as a recruiting tool, they have their own minor leagues to build and identify future players. Not that athletic scholarships are not available for baseball and hockey but there are not as many and hockey is very expensive not a sport for poor people.
Mermaid likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger