Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 05-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky
its cheaper to rent, in the long run.
The real trick is not buying more the you can afford. If you buy within a few hundred miles of a metro area, the value will always go up and up.

I would say it depends when you buy. Right now its a seller market.
When rates go up, and they will, you can get a killer deal with a bad rate.
When the rates go back down, and they will. Refinance at the low rate and make a killin. My beach house has tripled its value in the last eight years yet Im still payin my low monthly.

Well what good is all that value if you not selling.
i duno, Its the American dream/nightmare.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #22 (permalink)

under ideal circumstances, you might get off 1300 bucks cheaper, but if i rent, i also have that down payment earning money for me, that you dont have with the ownership.

if you get even a modest return investing your money, the 20 thousand you put down, over that same seven years its in the house earning you nothing, while you spend POSSIBLY 1300 bucks less a year, you miss out on about 2860 of annual income. thats assuming your worth is the same in both cases, and assuming ideal circumstances.

far more often than not, though, the real estate market is far more volitile than nice actively managed mutual funds, and you never know when a crack head redneck might move in next door driving the value of your home down a ton.

so, again, in the long run, renting is cheaper, theres far less risk, and you dont have to know and understand markets and waste your weekends handling maintenence, sorting out taxes, all that.

renting is cheaper, you see someplace saying its not, the are either not taking into account that only retards with 20 or 30 grand in equity are going to bury it in a can out back, or they are just not telling the whole truth. most people i know invest any extra large sums of money they have.

also, you can have not so good credit and still both rent and invest, whereas getting a good rate on a mortgage requires a pretty good credit score.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
ownership.
Any lifestyle that removes home maintenance and crackheads requires serious thought and analysis.

Whats going to happen when this repulbic collapses and dollars are devalued.
Women really dig it when you own a house in a post apocalypse situation.

Assuming no apocalypse occurs, this might be a fun, fluid and interesting way of living. There must be a caveat in your utopian plan and i will find it.

Wait, is this your libertarian separatist method of destroying the American family. What about the children........... the children. Why do you hate American families?
Old 05-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
mkl

"renting is cheaper, you see someplace saying its not, the are either not taking into account that only retards with 20 or 30 grand in equity are going to bury it in a can out back, or they are just not telling the whole truth."

It seems strange to argue about wether renting or owning is "cheaper", isn't that going to drastically depend on the individual circumstance? Renting could be cheaper, or it could be drastically more expensive. Most of that is going to be stuck in the minor details of the individual situation. Tax breaks, current market trends, housing prices, the area you are in, how long you will be living in the home...there are just too many variables to say "renting is cheaper" or "owning is cheaper".
Old 05-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #25 (permalink)

Yeah, any way you look where I live you're screwed. The average price of housing went up $15,000 last month here alone (and the average price is up 45% from a year ago). Don't get me wrong, Calgary's booming and there's a tonne of jobs here but when you're out of school only a year these prices are a little insane.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:05 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl
...there are just too many variables to say "renting is cheaper" or "owning is cheaper".
yeah, but its like sayiing flying is safer than driving, of course its not always true, there are variables, but that doesnt make the general statement not true. but in this arguement, all the variables are on the buying a house side. theres very little risk in renting.

conventional wisdom is that renting is cheaper, i thought it was a well known fact, but theres some valid points to be made on both sides.

why are we argueing this point at all in this thread, lol?
Old 05-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #27 (permalink)

Poconos

Weren't Keith and Chemda supposed to go back to Poconos (show #129) on Memorial Day weekend? I've been waiting for pictures of the great waterfall for more than six months damn it!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuck
Weren't Keith and Chemda supposed to go back to Poconos (show #129) on Memorial Day weekend? I've been waiting for pictures of the great waterfall for more than six months damn it!
send a PM to balls, hes got a database of KATG pics, from before chemda knew how to post them.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:

so, again, in the long run, renting is cheaper, theres far less risk, and you dont have to know and understand markets and waste your weekends handling maintenence, sorting out taxes, all that.

Exactly... and you're not tied down, so you can up and move to, say, Bulgaria if you want. The big thing with homeownership also goes beyond initial costs and mortages, etc. to whether or not you can increase the value. To say that in certain areas no matter what the house/property value will increase is insane. If you buy a shitty house and end up with water damage or termites or a cracked foundation, your house could turn into what would be perceived by the neighborhood as some crackheads who moved in nextdoor. As spooky said, it's a very shaky market.

And besides, I'm a commitment phob. So I'll stick to renting someone else's space and being nomadic. Beyond finances (which, with a college degree you should be able to find a decent job to sustain an apartment, esp. with roommates), it's a preference.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:53 PM   #30 (permalink)

I also met my wife when she was 15 and I was 19. Although we were'nt intimate until she was 16, is was a bit weird at the time, as I was'nt usually in to hanging around people so young, but we clicked and have been together for about 9 years and married for 2.

There is no doubt that girls under the age of 16 have trouble making informed decisions about sex. There are many factors that they are influenced by such as peer pressure, curiosity or may decide to do something just to get back at their parents.

Because of her age, I took these things into account and took thinks very slow, developing a mature relationship before anything intimate happened. This is different than sexual predators who prey on the factors I mentioned.
These men would not have a chance to have sex with someone who is 18+ who can make an informed decision, so they prey on the young. It is wrong, these people are sick and should be locked up!