Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Which podcast is meaner?
Keith and The Girl 15 34.88%
The Hot Mess Comedy Hour 28 65.12%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree167Likes

Old 03-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Everyone keeps talking about the toothbrush. It's a nothing item. It's a throw-away. But the toothbrush itself is not the point. I think Keith would agree that a toothbrush is a nothing item in and of itself.

Keith's whole point (from what I'm hearing) is that there is a principle involved. At the beginning of a relationship there should be a mention of "I'm going to leave a toothbrush", because while the item is small and inconsequential, what leaving it represents is NOT small.

This is why Keith likens everyone's comments about the toothbrush to toasters, coats, furniture, keys, etc. Those things are irrelevant disposable, and by lumping them together, you show they are not the issue. Principles don't care about the dollar value, or how much space an item takes. Principles are blanket feelings and moral choices, and yeah, sometimes a toothbrush is the "thing" and the principle sounds silly IN THAT CONTEXT. But that's a fallacy. Principles are important, even if the example is irrelevant.

And "she" acknowledges this principle. How do we know that? Because when Keith said, "you know you did" (left a toothbrush), she smiled and acknowledged her empty ploy. She smiled because there's a principle involved and she gets it. (I'm listening to the show, and Chemda just made this point.) (And Keith, the fact that she gets it immediately is a huge plus; don't discount it.)

I voted for Keith because I see the principle of the issue. I think there is truth in Andrea's argument (as I understand it and generalize it), that maybe Keith's communication could have been better. But that doesn't overcome the principle involved IMHO.
Keith, mr slug, crazyrob and 4 others like this.

--------------------
The problem is, they don't know what they are for.
They only know what they are against.
---------------------
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Girl View Post
I think it’s really a shame when we call each other names on this forums. I love that people are passionate about the content but I can’t imagine the topic making more sense to someone when we attack them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what I think is a shame. I love this show, I love the points of view that I get to hear come out of you, Keith and whatever guest is on. I especially love having heard both you and Keith take stand on issues like the metoo movement, years before it was a popular hashtag trending on twitter. You guys took on predators way before it was cool to do, even facing backlash from other comedians who didn't like what you guys did. So it's hard for me to listen sometimes and hear you guys give a platform to someone who went on air, on your show, and essentially bragged about raping his sleeping roommate.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:33 PM   #43 (permalink)

I think you should just make a box, labelled "Lost and Found" and keep it out. And anyone who leaves something who comes over or stays over you put it in there.

You can put some random things in there if it feels too obvious

Last edited by BenAtlanta; 03-29-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #44 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

at 31:52 is when I started yelling at the front glass in my car, THAT'S NOT THE END! The text exchange needed one more line from Keith to his lady saying "thanks for saying something about not moving in, I may be more on edge about that kind of stuff because of the recent divorce/new relationship/or whatever situation fits"

That way she knows that it's cool and there is a 78.2% chance that she will return to your apartment and bring her vagina.

Her leaving stuff could be a power move and it could be nothing even after she said that it was nothing in the text, but after she put herself out there by identifying the issue you got to say if it is cool or not to leave stuff and that after we had that grown up discussion we are still good. After that discussion the joke could be, "fine, leave whatever you want, but when it fills a this-size-box, I start to change rent.
astrokahn likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:50 PM   #45 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, the thing with the toothbrush is regardless of why she left it there (intentionally or accidentally), Keith's "you know you did" just made her feel like it was cool to keep doing that.

Although...I've left a toothbrush by accident, felt weird about it, said "Oh shit sorry, I left my toothbrush there" and the guy said "You should keep one here." He could've said "Don't worry about it" and I would've made sure to take it home with me next time. I mean, if he'd said "You know you did" I would've taken it too. I might've taken it extra just to make sure he knew it was an accident and not a move.

So I just talked myself out of that point.
Keith, Bucho and porky2468 like this.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:22 AM   #46 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Yaz-Pistachio View Post
(I so wanted this episode to have paper-tearing in it. Dammit.)
Word. Keith's paper tearing gag gets me every time.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #47 (permalink)

Toothbrush weirdo

The toothbrush conversation was hilarious . Andrea was just great and what a fantatic direct person Andrea comes across as (I’m not being sarcastic ) . Keith isn’t being clear to the girl he’s dating and it’s open to misunderstanding . I love hear sort of arguments. These podcasts are the only place people really be open. Yapp on ! I love your show
Old 03-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #48 (permalink)

FUUUUUUUCK YOU!!! and welcome to the forums, sugar.
Archimedes_Screw likes this.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #49 (permalink)

Fuckyou very much ..I’m so glad to be a listener . Incedentally i found you via the Iain Lee show
Old 03-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #50 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I think Andrea and Emily were so focussed on Keith's date's side of things that they weren't hearing Keith's side at all.

Keith felt weird that someone left something at his place without asking. He was trying to communicate his feelings about it to his friends but, instead of listening to him, they just accused him of being petty. Chemda was the only one who heard what he was saying and asked him what he was worried about. His response of "I'm worried things are moving too fast" is an understandable concern for anyone in a new relationship.

It's not Keith's fault his date left that toothbrush behind and It's not his fault he felt weird about it. There would have been no issue if she'd either asked to leave it or just taken it with her, but she specifically chose to leave it there without asking, that made things awkward.

People don't automatically get to leave shit at your place just because you're sleeping with them. Even when you're in an established relationship it's still good manners to ask.
Keith, Czarveillance and porky2468 like this.