Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you ever sent anyone an online death threat?
Yes 1 2.22%
No 44 97.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree102Likes

Old 07-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I was in a film with Dustin Hoffman a while back and I asked him at one point how a previous scene had gone, one in which Hoffmann’s character had supposedly stayed up for three days, and Hoffmann admitted that he too had not slept for 72 hours in order to achieve emotional verisimilitude.

“My dear boy,” I replied, “why don’t you just try acting?”

EDIT: Sorry, just remembered it wasn't me, it was Laurence Olivier. I often get us mixed up for some reason.
Haha, I was about to quote this
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

had a brief convo with an actor friend about method acting. she cocked her eyebrow at me; she’s a Southern WASP so the gesture was loaded, most of what i needed to know, and understood immediately. she quietly clears her throat and tells me part of their training is learning how to disengage from your character so you can be an actual person when you leave. those who martyr themselves under the guise of artistic hoity-toit are assholes.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:11 AM   #23 (permalink)

I think it's a little simplistic to say that his role as the Joker killed him, or that method acting killed him. His partner Michelle Williams said that he had problems with insomnia the entire time she knew him. He had a substance abuse problem, and it killed him, as it continues to kill an alarming number of people across the country to this day. We have a huge opioid epidemic. When it's a young and famous person who falls, it's tempting to claim the job did them in, but there are plenty of non-actors who are also tragically dying young.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I was in a film with Dustin Hoffman a while back and I asked him at one point how a previous scene had gone, one in which Hoffmann’s character had supposedly stayed up for three days, and Hoffmann admitted that he too had not slept for 72 hours in order to achieve emotional verisimilitude.

“My dear boy,” I replied, “why don’t you just try acting?”

EDIT: Sorry, just remembered it wasn't me, it was Laurence Olivier. I often get us mixed up for some reason.

Definitely a fun quote that I've heard a lot, but Olivier comes from the 30's and 40's style of acting that was super over the top and really not immersive at all, IMHO. I'm not going to judge what works for people whether that's method acting or not, but just because Olivier is renowned and uber famous doesn't necessarily mean he's a great actor. That's probably an unpopular opinion, but I try to watch movies from the 40's where everybody's putting on this weird exaggerated voice and everything is cheesy as fuck and I just can't stand it. Give me gritty realism any day.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARegularMom View Post

....shit did I just get on the death threat list for asking?
Nah. You’re good.

It’s a long story but basically I joined a podcast forum in 2011. I didn’t understand how the internet worked. I was jealous, angry, insecure, and a lot of other things. A real asshole. So I went full psycho and threatened another fan. I can’t even remember why. I think he was smarter than me. My ego couldn’t take it.

It’s really embarrassing. Any time I log in - I know. I know that everyone knows what I did. I don’t think the guy I threatened is on there anymore. But it’s super regretful. I can’t stand internet tough guys, but at the same time, I was one.

People see you on the internet. Whether you’re being an internet bully or whining on Yelp. It’s crazy cuz I love words. I know the weight they carry. I should have cared when I typed. I chose not to.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Love the honesty. Thanks for not putting me on the list.

I say it’s ok to stop being embarrassed about it. You learned your lesson in addition to being able to own your mistakes. That shows a lot of growth.
beerchick likes this.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
... I try to watch movies from the 40's where everybody's putting on this weird exaggerated voice and everything is cheesy as fuck and I just can't stand it.
You don't mean Bogey though do you Blitzy, old buddy, old pal?

Surely you can't mean Bogey ...

Old 07-24-2019, 11:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

That scene is shit. And it's every dumb TV cop show now.

"Oh it's gonna get wet in here alright..."

#TeamBlitzgal
Blitzgal likes this.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:46 AM   #29 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Sure, blame the original for dumb modern cop shows ripping it off.

REAL FAIR KEITH.

#TeamBogey
beerchick and SpareBen like this.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

That scene was shit. You were raised improperly.

Might not be your parents’ faults. Or your friends’.

You were just trying to figure out what was cool. I get it.