Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Have you ever seriously tried to commit suicide?
Yes 4 10.81%
No 33 89.19%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree25Likes
  • 2 Post By Michael's Servant
  • 7 Post By porky2468
  • 8 Post By littlp
  • 4 Post By The Girl
  • 1 Post By Hai
  • 1 Post By ThePinkSuperhero

Old 10-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

3177: Kickin’ It w/ Ali Clayton and Melody Kamali

Showtime at the Apollo and literally kicking out punchlines; relationship petting; depression and bi-polar disorders; Trump Country, drinking, and suicide; family secrets; dirty talk

Guests:
Ali Clayton

Melody Kamali

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
The Girl and Archimedes_Screw like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I'm glad Chemda called Ali out on the dude kissing her arse thing. When she was talking about getting her boob out I thought it was a bit odd (comparable to someone getting their dick out) but thought maybe she could get away with it because of her mental health. But yeah, the bum kissing was messed up.

Hilarious episode though (with some sad bits)! Two great guests, and really fun chemistry. But that part did make me feel icky.
Rabbit, thirteen, littlp and 4 others like this.

Last edited by porky2468; 10-29-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

This episode hit me hard when you guys talked about family reactions to depression and suicide attempts. I was in inpatient psych this January due to having suicidal thoughts-if I had gone home I was going to take a butcher knife and cut into my legs until I could let cut anymore. My husband has known about my struggles with depression, PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome) and PMDD (pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder), but didn’t know how bad it had gotten. Part of what complicated things was that my thyroid was severely out of whack.

It wasn’t the first or last time I had suicidal thoughts. Pretty much ever since I started my period I would get severely depressed before my periods. My parents acted like it was a behavioral thing and my dad especially would tell me to get the fuck over it. So of course I never told them about wanting to kill myself. I’m actually shocked I lived through high school. I even wrote depressing poems and submitted them to our high school journal. The committee took it to the counselor who dismissed it saying “you have good parents and live in a good neighborhood. You are just writing stuff right it?” Of course I agreed with him.

One time in my 20s I got into a bad argument with my dad where I left the house and he called me berating me as I was driving on the highway. I ended up hanging up on him only for my mom to call to try to see what was wrong. At that point I told her I didn’t need my dad saying shitty things about myself because I hated myself so much I regularly cut myself. She never ever mentioned or brought that up when I saw her again.

So with the hospitalization my parents were surprised and worried and seemed supportive. My dad then said that some days I just need to push through no matter how hard it is (which is part of the reason I ended up in the hospital because I just kept trying to push through) and then he asked me not to post about it on Facebook or tell my grandma because she would get hysterical. They don’t really talk to me about it anymore. They checked in throughout the first few months but then stopped asking.

The worst thing someone can do is to act like nothing happened or that you didn’t say something about feeling depressed/hurting yourself. Yes it is a difficult thing to hear and talk about. Frankly I’d rather hear, I’m not sure what to say or how to help, but I’m here for you. This shit gets so lonely and most people feel crazy and don’t want to burden people. If someone discloses something and then that other person ignores it, we interpret that as “I can’t/don’t want to deal with it”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keith, The Girl, jcro21 and 5 others like this.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Littlp

Glad you got help and are talking about it. We can’t let this be taboo. It’s a real and serious part of life.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Lots of love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keith, Scorpion, littlp and 1 others like this.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hai

"Is she a Trump supporter?"
"Yep"
"What sickness does she have?"
Apia likes this.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

I loved this episode! Fun Apollo memory: I (white person) attended a taping of Showtime at the Apollo once with some other white people, and we were some of the only white folks in the house. Sadly, we were there for a taping of the season finale where they decide on the season champion so there was NO BOOING! There happened to be one white act (female singer). At the end, they asked the crowd to cheer for who the winner should be, and we cheered for our favorites (not the white girl), and the folks near us asked why not, since we obviously had to be there for her, being white and all. I joked, hey, not all white people know each other, and we all laughed.

Also, I GASPED when Ali talked about humping the stump. Like going to a church and, well, humping the cross.
The Girl likes this.