Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: The Amy Cooper 911 false accusation bill
Yay 28 93.33%
Nay 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree53Likes

Old 06-12-2020, 05:39 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliiiii View Post
Her essay is totally ridiculous. And if you don't know why, I highly recommend watching Contrapoints' YouTube video called "Gender Critical" which will explain why JKRs "reasoning" is just BS.
I’ll look into this later when I’m not half asleep, thanks.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:17 AM   #22 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankumar89 View Post
I live in Bristol, UK and was at the protests last Sunday.

Finally that statue has come down, there have been sooo many petitions, debates, etc and this is what it took to tear it down. Edward Colston was responsible for a lot of the buildings and institutions in Bristol, some are being renamed. The school named after him has removed their statue of him and apparently have made sure that the slave trade and Colstons involvement in it is taught in their lessons.

As many people that are happy about it, I've got so many friends who it turns out are so close minded and blinkered they can even see beyond their privilege. Worst of all my own mother, who is a mother to half black half Asian kids is on the Trump side of the fence.
Even though there are people bitching about this particular statue, it's sparked a fire and there are loads of statues in London that are being taken down (hopefully elsewhere in the UK too). I work at Guys & St Thomas Hospital, and at our weekly "covid huddle" it was mentioned that the statue of Thomas Guy (who made his fortune in the slave trade, providing ships I think) in front of Guy's Hospital is being removed. The board so far are refusing to change the name of the hospital (it's one of the most well known in the city) but hopefully they will eventually.

I'm really pleased that schools are being taught about the slave trade, and our involvement in it. My knowledge is shocking (trying to educate myself now), but at school it was made out that the US was the one who took part in slavery and we had nothing to do with it. People need to stop being embarrassed about the past. You can't learn or change anything if you sweep it under the rug.

End rant.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
Lol @ people who menstruate. I’ll admit I need some getting used to on that one.

Self-identity (in terms of gender) and simple biology is getting confused, whether out of malice or not, to the point people are physically describing biological traits for exclusion, or for plain description. What’s next, the original twats and cocks? Wombhavers, ejaculators, uteruskeepers, ballowners?

On the other other hand, transfolk have it hard, so I get not needing to fight them on a descriptor (woman), but it’s still funny (and absurd) to have to fight to be called a woman now.
The thing is, the term "people who menstruate" is only used when it comes to talking about menstruation (or by those with an anti-trans agenda). If you're selling period products, or proposing a bill to do with contraception or something, saying "people who menstruate" covers your audience, and excludes those it doesn't (i.e. young girls, menopausal women, and trans women). If someone is talking about something that effects women as a whole, they'll use the term "women".
Lanfear likes this.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:32 AM   #24 (permalink)

Juneteenth

Slavery had been abolished 2 years before, but either Texas had not gotten the news, or they deliberately withheld it. So Juneteenth is when Texas slaves were freed.
Keith and Scorpion like this.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:20 AM   #25 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
Slavery had been abolished 2 years before, but either Texas had not gotten the news, or they deliberately withheld it. So Juneteenth is when Texas slaves were freed.
Are you really mansplaining (womansplaining?) when the end of slavery should be celebrated?
Old 06-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
Are you really mansplaining (womansplaining?) when the end of slavery should be celebrated?
If you joking, I didn't get it. Additionally, I don't understand you point if you're not joking. I don't see how this is mansplaining. This post seems like a very succinct description of what JuneTeenth is perhaps for those who don't and haven't looked it up yet and you seem unnecessarily aggressive about it, Hera never mentioned Lanfear.
Hera and Apia resurrected like this.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Simmer down there, pal. I’m pointing out the horrendous origin of Juneteenth — the fact that freedom was withheld from Texan slaves for 2 years. I said noting about when it should be celebrated. Personally tho, i’d be kinda pissed on 6/19.
Scorpion and Apia resurrected like this.

Last edited by Hera; 06-14-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #28 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
If you joking, I didn't get it. Additionally, I don't understand you point if you're not joking. I don't see how this is mansplaining. This post seems like a very succinct description of what JuneTeenth is perhaps for those who don't and haven't looked it up yet and you seem unnecessarily aggressive about it, Hera never mentioned Lanfear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
Simmer down there, pal. I’m pointing out the horrendous origin of Juneteenth — the fact that freedom was withheld from Texan slaves for 2 years. I said noting about when it should be celebrated. Personally tho, i’d be kinda pissed on 6/19.
Sorry if I didn't get your point but I've been seeing waaayyyy too many references to 'why is it a problem to do a rally on this particular day' 'this is a made up holiday' that somebody writing about how most everybody else was free long before didn't give me immediate positive feelings.
Scorpion likes this.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry if I didn't get your point but I've been seeing waaayyyy too many references to 'why is it a problem to do a rally on this particular day' 'this is a made up holiday' that somebody writing about how most everybody else was free long before didn't give me immediate positive feelings.
Ah, I understand. It seemed like it was an All Lives Matter thing? I’m a woman, btw. Keith once read one of my comments and also didnt know. My name is of an ancient Greek goddess.
Scorpion, Lanfear and porky2468 like this.