Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

519: Beg, Borrow, Steal

"I guess she can just hand us the money and then drop his pants."

www.WalletTest.com
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Chemda is crazy...
Old 06-19-2007, 05:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

The dangers of amateur studies

The wallet guy argues that since men have traditionally had more money than women, and yet took the wallet more often, this negates income as an explanation for why more blacks took the wallet than whites.

I disagree. It is only a supposition that the men in this survey had a higher income than the women. Without this information, it is not possible to eliminate low income as a factor.

Not only that, there were 40 white males tested, but only 9 black males. This means that: a) the results for white males were more reliable, and b) white males had much more of an influence on the overall result for males. So it could be that males come out as less honest because in reality white males are less honest than black males.

Not to say that I know that income was the deciding factor, I'm just saying that you can't be sure, and you can't jump to conclusions without more information. I don't think the study or the creator of the study is racist, I just think that it's not statistically complete, the sample was way too small, and its inconclusive results could be (mis)used by racists for their own ends.

Last edited by germuhknee; 06-19-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

The highlight of the show for me was when Keith said the wallet guy was black and his reply was, "No i'm not".

It doesn't sound funny in text, but the tone he said it at was classic.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

To Chemda,

chamsa chamsa chamsa. NYC was a blast - TDO had the time of their lives and ya know I LOVE cornering you... KATG is coming to Canada!!! and in STYLE ! It's been a blast planning this with you. Now get here already, will you?

To Keith -

Awesome! I'll make sure there's a mic ready to catch you singing our anthem complete with unicorns and everytin ! O C A N A D A - MAPLE SYROP!!!

Let the games begin!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

moral of the story -
backup, backup, backup
Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Welcome back Keith! The sound of you drinking was music to the listeners ears...ahh how we missed you. I think we've all learned not to fuck with Chemda...ever!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by germuhknee View Post
Not to say that I know that income was the deciding factor, I'm just saying that you can't be sure, and you can't jump to conclusions without more information. I don't think the study or the creator of the study is racist, I just think that it's not statistically complete, the sample was way too small, and its inconclusive results could be (mis)used by racists for their own ends.

I had concerns about his analysis as well and assume he has not come from a research background. I'll be curious to see what Bebe thinks about his statistical methods.

I did like that he had a question, tried to answer it logically, and then didn't ignore his results when they were counter to his initial hypothesis (about women just lacking courage, for example). IMO, he's way ahead of many academics in that regard--and the Bush administration for that matter.

I hope a sociologist or two does work with him to do another larger study and see what happens.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Thumbs down Talkshoe is beginning to annoy me

1:10 p.m, Eastern, and 519 still isn't in my RSS feed. This is becoming normal.

1:30. Got it. Tanks.

Last edited by Pintman; 06-19-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Where was the ending to the phone story? Was the fucking the end?

What happened to the godamned phone?