Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 03-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

My mother used the "someone told me where you were" thing on me too - unfortunately for me her "source" was wrong but I was never believed. I actually think it was my mother's paranoid, drunken brain telling her what I was "doing".

My father disowned me when I got pregnant and refused to have an abortion. I didn't speak to him for the better part of two years. One day I just decided to go and see him and introduce him to his grandson. Things got better after that. My father and my son were best buddies for three years, until my brother's son was born and took over the role of "favourite".

Both my parents are fucked up. As an adult I accept that and generally manage to see past it. I know them for what they are and don't expect any more from them than what they are capable of.

It made me sad to hear the letter, even more so with the references to Chemda.

My advice ... ? Respond to the letter, in writing. Keep lines of communication open. Don't let this result in a permanent rift.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

obviously, the only solution is for keith to take a shit on his dad while he's sleeping.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

And as for "picture taking"

There is a certain degree of luck in photgraphy, just like there is a certain degree of luck in comedy, or music....

One can say that comedy is just a person throwing jokes out to an audience to see if it sticks... Same with songs.... But it's not everything. All of it can be done half ass and you will have some kind of product come out of it. But there is something to be said for the many layers of any art form. And something to be said for mediocre performance vs a genius performance. We all know what a good comedian with good timing, good material, stage presence, and "luck" can do: make people laugh. A song with the right tone, lyrics, musical arrangement, and that "special sauce" can make you laugh, make you cry, etc. Good photgraphy has many aspects to it: composition, lighting, equipment, subject, interaction between the photographer and a subject. That is what makes some pictures absolutely beautiful, breathtaking, thought provocative, etc. In the same vein some can look like a family photo album, or a silly website portfolio.

Not everybody is a comedian, not everybody is a photographer... Many people can be funny people, many people can be picture takers....

You take care of the funnies Keith.... Those of us that are photographers will take care of the picture taking....

www.MeMeCPhoto.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Meme isn't hard to find; her laugh carries 'cause she throws her head back like a gorgeous unicorn. she's also an amazing first contact. look for the fanciest bitch having the best time.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenos View Post
Totally awkward if he sees his mom but obviously not see his dad.
It's the same deal with Chemda's father. That's… 100% of Keith's (potential) dads.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

a.) My vote (as part of the constituents), is for Keith to keep any responses to his dad written, short, & sweet. There's less that can be misunderstood that way.

b.) I gotta go with Spooky on his interpretation of white's not caring. "Cracker" is no more or less offensive than "White Trash" because white's just don't care. I defy you to find a white person who is truly offended by the term Cracker (and if that person is already cuckoo-magoo's, then no fair). Being offended by a word is what gives it power.

If one says 'Cunt' to the wrong person, its a powerful word. On the other hand, saying it to me means very little.

I do love the way the 'man on the street' almost cracks up on the end of the "I don't find it offensive . . . just advertising Corona's"

"Hahaha too easy" -- Trent said in the thread about the story about Trent
Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Marcos View Post
a.) My vote (as part of the constituents), is for Keith to keep any responses to his dad written, short, & sweet. There's less that can be misunderstood that way.

b.) I gotta go with Spooky on his interpretation of white's not caring. "Cracker" is no more or less offensive than "White Trash" because white's just don't care. I defy you to find a white person who is truly offended by the term Cracker (and if that person is already cuckoo-magoo's, then no fair). Being offended by a word is what gives it power.

If one says 'Cunt' to the wrong person, its a powerful word. On the other hand, saying it to me means very little.

I do love the way the 'man on the street' almost cracks up on the end of the "I don't find it offensive . . . just advertising Corona's"
I think what bothers me the most is that wet back is in reference to the mexicans that cross the border (specifically the rio grande) and not only is it demeaning, it's making reference to mexicans being here illegally... which most people that use slurs think..... white trash just means that you might be poor and live in a trailer park.... not that you aren't supposed to be here in the states at all...... and to use that to try to sell beer.... well.... then why don't we have terrorist tuesday?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #27 (permalink)

Maann. What a bummer. I listened to this (the Fr. Malley letter part) on the way to and from work today

I really feel bad for Keith and Chemda. Comparing the shows over the last year to TGAN, you can tell that Keith really has gained an appreciation for his parents over his adult life. I get the impression that Keith knows his parents well enough to be able to forgive them for all of this. Chemda seems to have developed a family relationship with them as well. It is seriously unfair to imply that she is a negative influence in the letter.

Christianity is a sickness handed down culturally through generations. It's shocking when you hear the words of someone who has lived a long life and can't accept people with dis-similar beliefs. Hopefully, some day Keith's dad can learn to be as mature and accepting of others as Keith and Chemda are. Keith accepts and cares for his family even if they're coo-koo about god. It must be pretty stressful for Fr Malley to walk around judging everyone all the time.

If it were me, I guess I'd just tell my parents that I'm not a Christian, and Chemda isn't a practicing Jew. Tell them that Chemda isn't why he's the way he is, but that he connects with her because they have similar beliefs. Tell them I'm happy as I am. Tell them that I love them but they have to accept me for who I am. I'd expect an apology from them for making Chemda seem evil.

------------

On a selfish note: I really hope this doesn't squash the audiobook.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by memecherry View Post
then why don't we have terrorist tuesday?
Why don't we? That's a very appropriate day, too, not just for the alliteration.

Of course, terrorist isn't a racial slur. It's sort of racist of you to imply that.

Oh well, I don't know what we'd sell anyway.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
Why don't we? That's a very appropriate day, too, not just for the alliteration.

Of course, terrorist isn't a racial slur. It's sort of racist of you to imply that.

I meant it in terms of capitalizing on a group of people that are categorized into an evil group.... Not saying terrorists aren't evil, but there are a lot of people in this country that feel that immigrants and terrorists are pretty much the same thing.... "Outside" people that are a threat to this "wonderful" country....
Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Aspie...dur...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post

Sand Nigger Sunday

Falafel and Coffee