Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrit View Post
Re: Scott Sigler

Anyway, I'm surprised how much the last 16 minutes (and the last 20 seconds in particular) sounded like an infomercial. I sort of got the vibe that KATG was being paid to promote. Did anyone else have that thought?

The only thing that made me cringe was, "He doesn't even care if you read it, just buy it."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

I took a look at the book. I'm going to give some of it a chance when it comes to reading but I really dislike the publisher synopsis. It's very cliched, with every sentence written very dramatically. Ick.

And obviously he wants you to buy it. People like money. But if you get your name out as a good author early by providing it free, you can drop the free gimmick and people will pay for your books later on because they know the quality to expect. It's something I would do (after I pay for copyright stuffs). I wonder how much it costs to copyright stuff.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenos View Post
I took a look at the book. I'm going to give some of it a chance when it comes to reading but I really dislike the publisher synopsis. It's very cliched, with every sentence written very dramatically. Ick.

And obviously he wants you to buy it. People like money. But if you get your name out as a good author early by providing it free, you can drop the free gimmick and people will pay for your books later on because they know the quality to expect. It's something I would do (after I pay for copyright stuffs). I wonder how much it costs to copyright stuff.
In the US, it costs nothing to copyright something. In Canada, I'd guess it would be free, but there's a GST.

Basically, the way to 'ensure' copyright in the US, is put it in a sealed envelope and mail it to yourself, don't open the envelope until you're sued (or sueing).
Old 04-04-2008, 11:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepetek View Post
In the US, it costs nothing to copyright something. In Canada, I'd guess it would be free, but there's a GST.

Basically, the way to 'ensure' copyright in the US, is put it in a sealed envelope and mail it to yourself, don't open the envelope until you're sued (or sueing).
Come again? I didn't catch how having something sealed and postmarked counts as copyright. Is that just "proof" that it existed at a certain time i.e. you had it or came up with it first?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenos View Post
Come again? I didn't catch how having something sealed and postmarked counts as copyright. Is that just "proof" that it existed at a certain time i.e. you had it or came up with it first?
Yeah, basically. In the U.S. there is no cost to copyright something. You can go through 'official' channels with the library of congress, but it's not necessary.

looks like you folk are about the same

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/c...gd_main-e.html

the 'berne convention' seems to be the thing, wherein one catches the conscience of the king. Tm. (or not)
Old 04-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've been a KATG fan for about two years now and I've heard every single episode. but the only thing to ever horrify me to the point of ripping the headphones out was Emily's tale of finding a slug in her sandwich. does that make me a bad person?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
mkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepetek View Post

That doesn't seem to be the case in the US, another urban legend.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#what
From the copyright office:
"
I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.
"

You can read the rest of the page for yourself, but the general thing in the US is: You own the copyright on something the moment you create it, registered or not. However, if you want to file a copyright infringement lawsuit, it will need to be registered. To register a work in the US, the fee is ~45$ for an original book.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl View Post
That doesn't seem to be the case in the US, another urban legend.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#what
From the copyright office:
"
I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.
"
urban legend? not quite, easy fake, yes http://www.copyrightauthority.com/poor-mans-copyright/

an urban legend is false, poor man's copyright is just not proven.

Quote:

You can read the rest of the page for yourself,
and then keep going on the links.

Quote:
but the general thing in the US is: You own the copyright on something the moment you create it,
But you have to be able to prove such. A spoken word piece in a basement where all 5 of the audience are killed in a DWI thing on the way home...not so protected. Unless there's video.

Quote:
registered or not. However, if you want to file a copyright infringement lawsuit, it will need to be registered. To register a work in the US, the fee is ~45$ for an original book.
The last sentence is wrong, which is why no sources are cited. You can sue anyone in the US for anything. Canada may be different.

That's not a joke, by the way. The US/sue thing. And Canada 'may' thing. No, really.

Hard copies (ie paper, video) are helpful. Poor man's copyright is the last refuge. Getting published (even online) is better. CBC video of you reading your work, even better.

To go waaay back to the orignal question, to legally own a copyright in the US, all you have to do is write the damn thing down. Proving you wrote it before anyone else is the tricky part.

Screw it all, though, steal that shit on piratebay.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

I didn't mean for the copyright thing to actually be discussed. It does look like having copyright doesn't require anything on your end. Having it registered can help but not guarentee your end in an infringement lawsuit. Nothing guarentees you'd win an infringement lawsuit, but documentation helps and registration is one form of documentation.

I hope this dies now.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

First post ever so Evening All.

Good show. Loved Chemda's description of Emily's chebs as swollen. Obviously this thread is useless without pictures ;-)

Last edited by NewcastleMonkey; 04-06-2008 at 02:45 PM.