Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Who would make the better parent?
Keith 94 49.47%
The Girl 96 50.53%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

705: Respect

"People. Aren't. Nice."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had a friend who used to buy writing and airbrush magazines. He said the airbrush mags start repeating after about 8 months, and the writing magazines after about 3. For Runner's World, I'm guessing you can buy one more, and then you might have to switch over to Jogger's Journal for awhile.

Last edited by McNally; 04-08-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post
I had a friend who used to buy writing and airbrush magazines.
Dumb question but airbrush as in airbrushing photos? What the hell is in a magazine for that? Isn't that meant to be more under the table.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK BITCHES
Old 04-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

A teacher used to do a cross country/running club and a couple students were pretty hardcore, like eligible for scholarships and stuff so he'd help them out.

Before a race one guy asked him for advice because it's his first long race and he's never done one before and he was saying stuff like putting vaseline on your nipples because it'll turn raw and make sure you dont tie your shorts too tight so the skin isn't rubbed off.

Coming from a teacher asking a student to put vaseline on his nipples and keeping his shorts loose that could sound a little... you know.

I think Chemda mentioned this on a show a while back but it made me think of fond highschool memories.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I didn't research the studies you mentioned on the show, but you do realize medical studies go through more rigorous analysis than simply "some people got that". For a study to be considered conclusive, they have to show that their results are statistically signifficant. (ie, couldn't realistically have been results of dumb luck)
Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
I didn't research the studies you mentioned on the show, but you do realize...
You do realize that maybe you should then, scientist?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttle88 View Post
Dumb question but airbrush as in airbrushing photos? What the hell is in a magazine for that? Isn't that meant to be more under the table.
Techniques for airbrushing photos one would assume, and no, it's not underground.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

You can do airbrush paintings. Like, the shit you see on the hoods of awesome cars. That kinda stuff.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
You do realize that maybe you should then, scientist?
ok, I found the study you talked about and the second study that was probably the one mentioned:

Dr. Wilson's: http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/65/4/439

The conclusion of that study is not at all related to what you read. There was a prior study that said there may be a link between depression and Alzheimer's and there were hypotheses that Alzheimer's caused depression. Wilson's study of 917 nuns and priests concluded that there was no link between depression and Alzheimers.

Quote: "Conclusion: We found no evidence of an increase in depressive symptoms during the prodromal phase of AD." The End. Whatever else the news story put as a result of this study is wrong.

So you were wrong in doubting scientists, and I was wrong with not specifying that scientific research and media's reports of scientific research to the public are not the same.

The second study I found that seems to support what your article was saying was conducted back in 06: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16461859

"Conclusion: In AD [Alzheimer's Disease], the presence of a lifetime history of depression corresponds to increases in AD-related neuropathological changes within the hippocampus. These changes go along with more rapid cognitive decline in patients with AD with a history of depression, and are more pronounced in patients with AD suffering from depression early on in the disease process, suggesting an interaction between major depression and AD neuropathology."

Basically, a lifetime history of depression (if you manage not to kill yourself) increases risk and severity of Alzheimer's

The abstract of the second article gives statistics for their certainty. I don't have access to the full article, or the interest, to actually do the math myself, but I'm sure Jeremy already got that for you and is working on verifying these studies.