Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 04-13-2008, 02:39 AM   #21 (permalink)

I've always wondered what a big big city would be like, something like NY always seemed like a great place to visit, and I'm sure I will one day. As for living there... I'll pass. My preference is something that's not so busy, but maybe having it within reach if necessary (a few hours drive or something).

Depending on how things go, NY could head down the path of Paris. People-wise, Paris itself is awful to visit because they hate being constantly bothered by tourists, but if you go to places where tourists haven't bothered people so much the people are splendid. I've never met a French person I didn't like, mostly because I've never known anyone in Paris.

As for being clean and diverse, Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada to live in, so it's good you can see how that money is being spent. Canada in general does try to promote itself not as a melting pot but as a mosaic, namely you bring some of your culture with you. There are lots of pros and cons about that which isn't what I want to debate. The point I'm making about this is that America has a more melting-pot philosphy where there's a greater emphasis on adopting and conforming to American society to get the same benefits and rewards like others. I think that's what McNally means by diversity. There are the same cultures in each city but how it's been expressed is different. I think a lot of the clash on here comes from being raised in each of these philosphies.

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Oh Zenos... I don't think when we say 'melting pot' we mean you 'melt' into our way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post
I found the foreign cultures in Vancouver a lot more accommodating than in NYC. My experience is solely with restaurants, but they were glad to help you choose things or to explain what was on the menu. Sometimes the chinese restaurants were jerks, but even then rarely. The middle eastern restaurants in particular were amazing, that's my favorite food. But most places around here are very lacking in english menus and don't act at all happy to see me when I roll in the door.

The cultural diversity in NY doesn't seem integrated. It's in its own insulated pockets. I feel like I've lost cultural diversity by moving here.
I'm going to assume these restaurants weren't in Manhattan, but rather your specific neighborhood in Queens, which has pockets of just Asian people or just Middle Eastern people.

Yes, New York's big. That's the beauty of it. It's like you're getting turned off by too many options.

Don't worry, we have woods too.
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #23 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
my apologies. i assume youve been to NYC, and seen the cultures here, which is world renowned for its variety, and are comparing, saying that most major cities in canada are just as diverse, as that was meant as a comparison when it was said.

it is true, i havent been to MOST major cities in canada. where were you in NYC?
I can't talk about NYC too much since I only went there when I was very young, but I know that it probably has the most culture when it comes to cities in North America. However, you can get pretty close, or perhaps even surpass it in Canada, but I can't say anything for sure since I haven't been to NYC recently. I think I just get frustrated because every New Yorker I have talked to gets pretty adamant about how there can't possibly be any other city in the world that comes close to the amount of culture that is in NYC.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenos View Post
I've always wondered what a big big city would be like, something like NY always seemed like a great place to visit, and I'm sure I will one day. As for living there... I'll pass. My preference is something that's not so busy, but maybe having it within reach if necessary (a few hours drive or something).

Depending on how things go, NY could head down the path of Paris. People-wise, Paris itself is awful to visit because they hate being constantly bothered by tourists, but if you go to places where tourists haven't bothered people so much the people are splendid. I've never met a French person I didn't like, mostly because I've never known anyone in Paris.

As for being clean and diverse, Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada to live in, so it's good you can see how that money is being spent. Canada in general does try to promote itself not as a melting pot but as a mosaic, namely you bring some of your culture with you. There are lots of pros and cons about that which isn't what I want to debate. The point I'm making about this is that America has a more melting-pot philosphy where there's a greater emphasis on adopting and conforming to American society to get the same benefits and rewards like others. I think that's what McNally means by diversity. There are the same cultures in each city but how it's been expressed is different. I think a lot of the clash on here comes from being raised in each of these philosphies.
I completely agree. I'm from Toronto, and I currently live in Ottawa. I think I would definitely consider living in Toronto in the future, but for some reason, while I love cities, I am not that happy living in busy areas. And I like that you don't have to drive that far here to find something forest-like. I'm not an outdoor person by any means, but I can't stand being around people all the time. I plan on visiting Vancouver one day because I'm sure I'd love it and perhaps even want to live there. I also want to go to NYC, but I think I'd enjoy it more if I stayed there for a few weeks or months (compared to living there). I'm positive you can't "get" the entire experience of NYC until you experience it first hand, but you can still grasp elements of it from its reputation, the people, etc.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #25 (permalink)

I went for a big 3 hour walk last night, still just in Queens, and I found a mexican neighborhood. I passed 5 or 6 24-hour restaurants and bars, all with mexican names and themes, so I made an effort to pay attention to the people I was passing and noticed that most of them were indeed mexican.

So my question is, what would happen if a korean family moved into that neighborhood? How would a korean restaurant do on that street? I think there's a big difference between cultural diversity and tolerance for cultural intermingling.

Last edited by McNally; 04-13-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

I went to Little Italy, and it was like all Italian! What the fuck?!
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

C'mon. You all hate each other and you know it. Come on. Commmmme oooooon. That's my new argument. C'mon.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post
C'mon. You all hate each other and you know it. Come on. Commmmme oooooon. That's my new argument. C'mon.
srsly??? orly???

My new argument
Old 04-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #29 (permalink)

That post looks like a water balloon full of gay just exploded in your hands.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyButtPlug View Post
Spooky, just like you've now learned that the first girl you fuck maybe isn't the greatest one in the world--you should try some other cities before you get married to New York.
i grew up in small town america, under 30k. then lived in Pensacola. I lived in Austin, frequented Dallas/FtWorth and San Antonio. Savannah, Norfolk, Atlanta.

visited at length San Diego and Monterey, CA.

been to Jamaica, all over south florida and Jacksonville, mexico, too.

ive traveled everywhere in the US except the pacific northwest.

even went to Canada, once, but that was too short and biased to really have an opinion.

so, how much experience, exactly, do i need with other cities before i am qualified to have an opinion with any credibility?

To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.

Last edited by spooky; 04-13-2008 at 02:51 PM.