Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Last Week on KATG

Last Week on KATG Bianca, Rod, and Karen wrap-up the week

Like Tree78Likes

Old 09-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Re: Rod hosting
  • Aces babillion

Re: The Aceman
  • I listened regularly to the ACS from 2009 to 2015.
  • It may (or may not) be worth noting that he made the 2019 Willy T Ribbs documentary "Uppity" - a film which is race-themed (awesome motorsport pun intended) and which celebrates an outspoken black man who gave a loud and long "fuck you" to a white establishment. (For the record I liked the movie a lot.)
  • Carolla hasn't lead a life sheltered from diversity. Given his decades-long participation in sport, the arts and construction (which is far from gender-diverse, but which is as ethnically diverse as it gets) - not to mention that he's lived all his life in liberal AF and hugely culturally diverse LA - Carolla's been in amongst people from all walks of life for aeons.
  • One of the dude's regular rants for as long as I listened to him was how his immune system was the toppest of notch precisely because he would do stuff like eat food that had dropped on his driveway. He also never uses soap when he showers. He's also always come across as pretty libertarian. Hearing that he'd come out saying non-elderly folks without pre-existing health issues had nothing to fear from Covid surprised me about as much as hearing his former Apprentice boss's 2016 presidential campaign was run by criminals.
  • When I started this post I thought it was going to be about three sentences. I guess even when I haven't listened to a dude regularly for half a decade I still have a bunch to say about him.

Edit: I just realized the above could be taken as a defence of Carolla's recent statements on the pandemic response. Really it's just me saying I 100% get Keith and Rod saying they had complicated feelings about the dude.

Last edited by Bucho; 09-29-2020 at 01:02 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I get it.
My feelings about him are very uncomplicated.
" no thanks "
Bucho and Scorpion like this.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Re: Rod hosting
  • Aces babillion

Re: The Aceman
  • I listened regularly to the ACS from 2009 to 2015.
  • It may (or may not) be worth noting that he made the 2019 Willy T Ribbs documentary "Uppity" - a film which is race-themed (awesome motorsport pun intended) and which celebrates an outspoken black man who gave a loud and long "fuck you" to a white establishment. (For the record I liked the movie a lot.)
  • Carolla hasn't lead a life sheltered from diversity. Given his decades-long participation in sport, the arts and construction (which is far from gender-diverse, but which is as ethnically diverse as it gets) - not to mention that he's lived all his life in liberal AF and hugely culturally diverse LA - Carolla's been in amongst people from all walks of life for aeons.
  • One of the dude's regular rants for as long as I listened to him was how his immune system was the toppest of notch precisely because he would do stuff like eat food that had dropped on his driveway. He also never uses soap when he showers. He's also always come across as pretty libertarian. Hearing that he'd come out saying non-elderly folks without pre-existing health issues had nothing to fear from Covid surprised me about as much as hearing his former Apprentice boss's 2016 presidential campaign was run by criminals.
  • When I started this post I thought it was going to be about three sentences. I guess even when I haven't listened to a dude regularly for half a decade I still have a bunch to say about him.

Edit: I just realized the above could be taken as a defence of Carolla's recent statements on the pandemic response. Really it's just me saying I 100% get Keith and Rod saying they had complicated feelings about the dude.
I feel you on this Bucho. For years I sort of used to accept his upbringing and background as a reason for his opinions. I loved the Willie T Ribbs documentary. But I love a lot of things from flawed human beings.

For Carolla one glaring hole in his argument that being poor with lazy parents gives him the right to basically say racism is an excuse most Black people make for their own lack of success is this...

Adam is white. And no matter how poor and lazy his parents were people like Jimmy Kimmel and all the Hollywood liberals he tends to disregard... those people let him into their social circles with ease. And that unlocks a lot of opportunities for him that others might not get access to.

I also think a very vocal element of his fan base sort of took the show in a more "alt-right" direction as he's aged. It's a shame really because he was a very funny guy at one point. And maybe he always harbored these sensibilities but he sort of kept them in check until he was completely untouchable with his podcasting empire.

I feel like this is the real him that he always wanted to be.

Great documentary though!
Bucho and Scorpion like this.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I think Keith has gotten way more open minded. And of course, with Chemda as business partner is easier, still it’s good.
Some people can’t change their mind no matter what.

I couldn’t listen to a podcast with some white man whining how life is hart now for him with me too and cancel culture.
Scorpion and rodimusprime like this.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I still listen to Bill Burr who is perhaps the World's whitest man and who regularly rants about how comedians should be exempt from political correctness and all that malarkey, but then he also rants about how we should all probably listen to epidemiologists when it comes to pandemic responses and who is pretty fiercely and loudly anti-racist, so he's a fave with a much lower level of problematicness overall.

p.s. There is indeed an Arab terrorist comedy. It's called Four Lions and stars Riz Ahmed from Star Wars Rogue One and Kayvan Novak from the TV series version of What We Do In the Shadows. I only saw it once, about 8 years ago, but I remember liking it quite a bit.
Scorpion and rodimusprime like this.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Yep, I was thinking that one too.

WINK
Scorpion likes this.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I still listen to Bill Burr who is perhaps the World's whitest man and who regularly rants about how comedians should be exempt from political correctness and all that malarkey, but then he also rants about how we should all probably listen to epidemiologists when it comes to pandemic responses and who is pretty fiercely and loudly anti-racist, so he's a fave with a much lower level of problematicness overall.

p.s. There is indeed an Arab terrorist comedy. It's called Four Lions and stars Riz Ahmed from Star Wars Rogue One and Kayvan Novak from the TV series version of What We Do In the Shadows. I only saw it once, about 8 years ago, but I remember liking it quite a bit.
I like Burr because he sort of tricks the audience with his approach. He's figured out a way to be like "I think some fucked up things but in the end I'm the one who's wrong." I think people like him and Lewis Black have figured out how to do be curmudgeon white men and still be funny most of the time.

But at the end of the day none of these guys is getting canceled or banned from working. Chappelle's last 4 specials have been transphobic and full of "cancel culture is after me!!!" stuff and he's the highest paid comic in the land.
The Girl, Bucho and Scorpion like this.

Last edited by rodimusprime; 09-29-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Great show no need to be more brisk, imho.
“The Right man” and “Right Supremacy “ has me actually laughing out loud. Not the lol people talk about.

Great show great host great chemistry! I’m looking forward to hearing from Bianca... maybe let us know how she is.
Keith, The Girl and rodimusprime like this.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Rod is trying to win our hearts to be more liked than Karen well it's not going to work. I LOVE YOU BOTH EQUALLY, these shows are great. You're honoring Bianca's legacy well even if you don't move as briskly along!

Adam Corolla was shit then and he's shit now. As a woman I was never comfortable with his bullshit when he rose to popularity and even less now that he's leaning into the fact that it's more OK to show his true colors as a POS white male that will have a toxic fanbase no matter what garbage he spews. It's a no from me.

My daughter is a left-hander, and it's... inconvenient. The world is made for right handers, I know how to do everything right-handed, so I see how things might have a level of added difficulty for her. She's only 5 and is doing virtual schooling but she's already mastered using a mouse & computer for her own settings, so that's good! Also helps her grandmother is lefthanded and shows her the ropes with stuff like this. A trip to The Leftorium is probably in our near future.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebootie View Post
Rod is trying to win our hearts to be more liked than Karen well it's not going to work. I LOVE YOU BOTH EQUALLY, these shows are great. You're honoring Bianca's legacy well even if you don't move as briskly along!

Adam Corolla was shit then and he's shit now. As a woman I was never comfortable with his bullshit when he rose to popularity and even less now that he's leaning into the fact that it's more OK to show his true colors as a POS white male that will have a toxic fanbase no matter what garbage he spews. It's a no from me.

My daughter is a left-hander, and it's... inconvenient. The world is made for right handers, I know how to do everything right-handed, so I see how things might have a level of added difficulty for her. She's only 5 and is doing virtual schooling but she's already mastered using a mouse & computer for her own settings, so that's good! Also helps her grandmother is lefthanded and shows her the ropes with stuff like this. A trip to The Leftorium is probably in our near future.
I really think women knew for a longer time that he wasn’t a great guy.
Scorpion and shoebootie like this.