Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums CHU & A

CHU & A Newsychu gets your questions answered

Like Tree22Likes

Old 08-21-2022, 12:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svage View Post
Newsy saying he'll be a flagger starting out. Lol.

I work new construction/tenant improvement as a plumber. If there's one thing I know about the job site is that everyone starting out gets the shit job. It's either pushing a broom for hours on end, organizing material, fetching material, and every once in a while assisting a journeyperson with their task.

Also, just a reality, people on the job site aren't forward thinking progressives as the rest of us. Newsy being gay would definitely ruffle some feathers and cause a certain F slur to be dropped a lot in hopes of upsetting you. I still hear it to this day in conversation when someone is complaining about a dick superintendent or project manager.

Related, the company I was with most recently, hired on two apprentices. The union dispatched them and the office guy let my foreman know that one of the apprentices is a trans man, and to watch their language around them because it could mean trouble. For the most part the older guys treated this new apprentice like any regular person, but while I would sit in the office at the end of the day or during lunch.. one of the journeymen would be talking reckless about how he's pushing and pushing the "issue" of that apprentice being Trans to their face.

All this to say, if you can stomach being disrespected to your face and in private when you're not around, then go for it. Pick a trade and stick to it. Nothing is too hard, it's just about learning and knowing to ask questions when you don't understand something. It's really rewarding and the money isn't bad either. A journeyperson in my trade makes 53$/hr plus benefits, journeypeople in the other trades make anywhere from 40$-60$/hr it just depends on what interests you.

And with Newsy not liking having to deal with people/rules changing-I bet that happens all the damn time-especially when having to deal with government regulations. I think he’d be fine painting walls but anything else-it’ll be more annoying plus dealing with the harassment for being gay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlp View Post
When I listened to the episode at the time it made me uncomfortable and thought it was crazy. She was basically sexually harassing people for her art which isn’t cool at all.

True. I wouldn’t be happy at all if it happened to me.
Newsy likes this.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Newsy saying he'll be a flagger starting out. Lol.

I work new construction/tenant improvement as a plumber. If there's one thing I know about the job site is that everyone starting out gets the shit job. It's either pushing a broom for hours on end, organizing material, fetching material, and every once in a while assisting a journeyperson with their task.

Also, just a reality, people on the job site aren't forward thinking progressives as the rest of us. Newsy being gay would definitely ruffle some feathers and cause a certain F slur to be dropped a lot in hopes of upsetting you. I still hear it to this day in conversation when someone is complaining about a dick superintendent or project manager.

Related, the company I was with most recently, hired on two apprentices. The union dispatched them and the office guy let my foreman know that one of the apprentices is a trans man, and to watch their language around them because it could mean trouble. For the most part the older guys treated this new apprentice like any regular person, but while I would sit in the office at the end of the day or during lunch.. one of the journeymen would be talking reckless about how he's pushing and pushing the "issue" of that apprentice being Trans to their face.

All this to say, if you can stomach being disrespected to your face and in private when you're not around, then go for it. Pick a trade and stick to it. Nothing is too hard, it's just about learning and knowing to ask questions when you don't understand something. It's really rewarding and the money isn't bad either. A journeyperson in my trade makes 53$/hr plus benefits, journeypeople in the other trades make anywhere from 40$-60$/hr it just depends on what interests you.

Honestly I am very sensitive and I would have a revenge list by the end of the week. Maybe I need to start a Queer Labor trade. Everything is goddamn Field of Dreams in my life.

But thank you for all this. I should just apprentice under someone and keep it at that. I don't mind being an All Time Assistant in my life.

The Girl likes this.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
When I listened to the episode at the time it made me uncomfortable and thought it was crazy. She was basically sexually harassing people for her art which isn’t cool at all.

I forgot about it but rewatching it was pretty jarring.

Apia resurrected likes this.
Old 08-21-2022, 04:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
And with Newsy not liking having to deal with people/rules changing-I bet that happens all the damn time-especially when having to deal with government regulations. I think he’d be fine painting walls but anything else-it’ll be more annoying plus dealing with the harassment for being gay.

Maybe not so much having to deal with government regulations but more dealing with power tripping inspectors who think they know the code better than you do. I for example know the Uniform Plumbing Code, I'm trained in it and you could say I specialize in it. The inspector that comes around to inspect my work doesn't specialize in the UPC, they know enough about every code used to do the job, be it the mechanical code, architectural code, etc.

Sometimes they'll be hard asses and say no it needs to be done like this because of the code, and I'll be like right... but the code also says I can do this and it's perfectly legal. But because some of them can't handle being challenged, that's when it's a problem. I've seen whole piping systems have to be ripped out and put back in on account of the inspector being a Richard.
littlp likes this.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Just heard Rod and Karen on LW laugh about the cowboy boots and the bluetooth headphones...

People do wear cowboy boots on the job, with or without steel/composite toe and its perfectly fine.

And the headphones, no one uses headphones. Its all about earbuds, most of the time I use the left one and keep my right ear open to listen for people trying to talk to me. But if I'm on a task where I know i wont be bothered 90% of the time, and i'm indoors away from any moving heavy machinery, I'll pop both in and immerse myself. Its when I get most of my podcast listening done.
The Girl likes this.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Just heard Rod and Karen on LW laugh about the cowboy boots and the bluetooth headphones...

People do wear cowboy boots on the job, with or without steel/composite toe and its perfectly fine.

And the headphones, no one uses headphones. Its all about earbuds, most of the time I use the left one and keep my right ear open to listen for people trying to talk to me. But if I'm on a task where I know i wont be bothered 90% of the time, and i'm indoors away from any moving heavy machinery, I'll pop both in and immerse myself. Its when I get most of my podcast listening done.

See I know a thing or two about a thing or two! Point me to a construction site, I'm about to fag it up!

The Girl, rodimusprime and Khylee like this.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
We’re talking about a third magical brake. Only real car owners understand.
I think that's just called throwing it into park (or reverse) while driving. Trust me, it'll stop. (Source - come from a long line of dumbasses and mechanics - sometimes both)

Vaguely related side note - my uncle had a stick shift without a clutch pedal. You pushed down on the shifter to shift into a different gear. Can't tell you how many times someone accidentally rested their hand on the gear shift while driving and popped it into neutral.

But even that one didn't have a magic third brake. Just sayin'
Keith likes this.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:

You're thinking about regular Cowboy boots. But I know Newsy is going to wear the ones that have spurs on them. And I've never seen those on a construction site. Nice try Svage!
The Girl likes this.